Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-19, 03:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Nice big screen
Old 12-31-19, 01:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Checked out the new Highlander today

We looked at the XLE and Platinum. Didn’t drive them. I think Toyota has made their best Highlander to date, it is definitely on the smaller size compared to the competitors but I do believe their will another crossover on the way that will be closer to the size of the Traverse.

Anyways, front end styling is superb. Appears Toyota is moving back to their conservative looks. They nailed the front. Side profile in person is also superb. Love love love the side profile. Excellent wheels on both. Surprised to see Michelin and Good Year on the platinum. Also the fog lights.

Inside. Good materials all around. Pretty interesting design. No issues with room as it is about the same size give or take as my 4Runner.

Things I don’t like were the glossy buttons on the Platinum. I also do not like glossy wood materials so the door trim I am not a fan in Platinum. (Although it’s all good for those who like gloss as the material is excellent). Also not much a fan of the rear. Way too boring and dull. Also wish there was a two row version for those who don’t want three rows.

To us, we think Toyota benchmarked the Mazda CX crossover. I also think the hybrid version of the Highlander will be what puts this model way over the top 35MPG for the awd is very hard to beat.

So to wrap up. Unless you are a fan of Toyota, I don’t expect some members on here to like it. If you are a fan of Toyota, this should meet your expectations as it met mine.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-31-19 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-31-19, 02:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Thanks for write-up... i look forward to checking one out.
Old 12-31-19, 02:19 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

front looks good, rear is ok.

I like the interior

Last edited by bagwell; 12-31-19 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-31-19, 05:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. if you don't mind, I'll add some interior images.

Old 12-31-19, 08:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

If the center console and infotainment area weren't so amazingly ugly i'd put this on my list to consider for next vehicle.
Old 12-31-19, 10:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
If the center console and infotainment area weren't so amazingly ugly i'd put this on my list to consider for next vehicle.

....because of the asymmetrical lines/angles? The latest Camry also had an asymmetrical dash/console layout, and (though I could be wrong) I don't remember you panning it.

I'll agree with you on one thing along that line. I'm getting tired of seeing those tacky-looking, stick-up video-screen housings that look like an old Etch-a-Sketch housing from back when I was a kid. If automakers are going to use that video-screen stuff (which I'm not too keen on in the first place) then at least integrate it into the dash like GM did on my car.
Old 12-31-19, 10:23 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

I like everything about it except for the front end. I don’t love the infotainment area but it’s not that bad and I could live with it.
Old 01-01-20, 03:44 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,136 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm getting tired of seeing those tacky-looking, stick-up video-screen housings that look like an old Etch-a-Sketch housing from back when I was a kid. If automakers are going to use that video-screen stuff (which I'm not too keen on in the first place) then at least integrate it into the dash like GM did on my car.
Agree 100% with the integration. On so many models the screen looks like an after thought. Whoops we forgot it so lets just attach it to the dash. Friend looking at a Q5 and not only is it sitting on top of the dash but it is so small. Other than that I like the looks.

Old 01-01-20, 06:12 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I've always liked the Highlander. I leased two of previous 2 row generation models.('03-'07) Moved on when they decided to make it a 3 row.

I like the interior especially the built in storage shelves. I agree I like the video screen to be built into the dash. This isn't that bad however, that Audi is awful. . I think the screens are getting so large it is hard to design them into the center stack. If the Highlander had a 2 row model I'd be interested, since not I will pass on this.
Old 01-01-20, 12:03 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

The recent infotainment screen examples are quite revealing in a number of ways.

It shows Lexus is figuring out how CarPlay can be co-exists with Lexus information displays and feedback, and enabling full use of the screen. Bigger the display you can work with, the better (makes the print easier to read, and a lot more in split screen use capabilities -- car info, radio, navi, etc).

It also shows that there is still some values to '*****' (volume) and toggles (air temp) where you can adjust these controls than jump through 2-3 screens to get access to a digital control/slider/etc ). A lot of functional analysis is going on here to make it simple and effective.

It lays out the framework Lexus seems to be considering for future car/tech interfaces for model refreshes and utilization of bigger screens and more sophisticated digital interactions with it. BMW and AUDI may be very ahead of the game here, and a Lexus capable of doing 80% of what they can do would be a huge improvement over current capabilities.
Old 01-01-20, 01:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Freds430
Agree 100% with the integration. On so many models the screen looks like an after thought. Whoops we forgot it so lets just attach it to the dash.
Right, that includes lexus IS, ES, RX, NX, UX...

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
The recent infotainment screen examples are quite revealing in a number of ways.

It shows Lexus is figuring out how CarPlay can be co-exists with Lexus information displays and feedback, and enabling full use of the screen. Bigger the display you can work with, the better (makes the print easier to read, and a lot more in split screen use capabilities -- car info, radio, navi, etc).

It also shows that there is still some values to '*****' (volume) and toggles (air temp) where you can adjust these controls than jump through 2-3 screens to get access to a digital control/slider/etc ). A lot of functional analysis is going on here to make it simple and effective.

It lays out the framework Lexus seems to be considering for future car/tech interfaces for model refreshes and utilization of bigger screens and more sophisticated digital interactions with it. BMW and AUDI may be very ahead of the game here, and a Lexus capable of doing 80% of what they can do would be a huge improvement over current capabilities.
Glad lexus is 'figuring it out', but where's the innovation?
Old 01-01-20, 01:30 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Hard to pick between the 2 imo
Old 01-01-20, 02:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Right, that includes lexus IS, ES, RX, NX, UX...
Yes, it does. You just named five more examples that IMO need dash-integration. And it doesn't take much looking to find more.
Old 01-01-20, 02:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
I agree with what you are saying. But I do think these new screen in cars and suvs are getting a little stupid. I mean, does everything NEED to go to a screen? I think Lexus RX from 09 got it right. Some of these new screen displays are really backwards thinking.

Quick Reply: 2020 Highlander