Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 05:02 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

That silhouette reminds me of the current Fortuner for some reason.

• I think Highlander will introduce the new 8GR-FXS and Hybrid System to Toyota Side
  • De-tuned version of V35A V6 and different version of A25A
  • Overhauled Infotainment System for the new Decade
  • Better AWD System than the 19 RAV4
I plan on upgrading from our 2009 Highlander, which has been an absolute gem.
Old 04-09-19, 05:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
So, it seems like you haven't read anything about the 2019 RAV4. Higher level trims are high-quality inside; I saw it at the car show, and it was pretty nice, with a lot of features. But every single review I have read and seen says the 2.5L 203HP gas version is just downright loud and intrusive. I think the hybrid is less so. I have not driven one yet, but may do so this spring--I'd probably lean toward the hybrid since it's only $800 more.
Rav4 hybrid is pretty loud when accelerating, but it doesnt sound bad? kind of sporty 4cly noise, not coarse, makes me think they wanted it that way.
Old 04-09-19, 07:07 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While that rendering looks pretty good, I'm worried that It'll be the same length and worse, the same short wheel base as the current model as it appears to be in the pic. The Highlander has the worst 3rd row and the smallest space behind the 3rd row in the class (accept if you count Sorento - but Kia has answered this with the Telluride). The CX-9 isn't known for its cavernous space but it's better in those metrics than the current Highlander. IMO, the new Highlanders wheelbase needs to be a good 5" longer (CX-9's is 5.5" longer) and have a proper 3rd row like the new Telluride and Palisade, never mind Atlas, Pilot, & Explorer. I would find it odd if Toyota continues on the smaller end of the segment as people buying 3-rows prioritize space.
Old 04-09-19, 07:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
While that rendering looks pretty good, I'm worried that It'll be the same length and worse, the same short wheel base as the current model as it appears to be in the pic. The Highlander has the worst 3rd row and the smallest space behind the 3rd row in the class (accept if you count Sorento - but Kia has answered this with the Telluride).
The real problem is that most mid-sized SUVs were never really intended for three rows, which is usually better-suited to traditional full-size SUVs. The main reason you have them is because of consumer demand, so SUV manufacturers do their best to try to respect the existing two rows and and squeeze in the third row, even if fit for only sardines, into vehicles that are usually better off without them. The only third-row seats I've seen, in a non-traditional full-sized SUV, that I would call reasonably roomy (by my standards) are in the older 1Gen GM crossover triplets......Enclave, Acadia, and Traverse. I admit, though, that I have not checked out the new Subaru Ascent....I plan to look at one at the D.C. auto show.....I haven't been to the Subaru display yet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-09-19 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-10-19, 09:45 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The real problem is that most mid-sized SUVs were never really intended for three rows, which is usually better-suited to traditional full-size SUVs. The main reason you have them is because of consumer demand, so SUV manufacturers do their best to try to respect the existing two rows and and squeeze in the third row, even if fit for only sardines, into vehicles that are usually better off without them. The only third-row seats I've seen, in a non-traditional full-sized SUV, that I would call reasonably roomy (by my standards) are in the older 1Gen GM crossover triplets......Enclave, Acadia, and Traverse. I admit, though, that I have not checked out the new Subaru Ascent....I plan to look at one at the D.C. auto show.....I haven't been to the Subaru display yet.
No, the problem was that the Highlander targeted a smaller size/footprint. It wasn't a huge problem, as it still sold relatively well. Now today's mid-sized SUVs are absolutely intended for three rows and to effectively become the minivans of today's family. They're not squeezing in the 3rd row to the Pilot design, the Atlas, the Telluride, Palisade, Pathfinder, Ascent, Explorer, Traverse, Enclave. These are all designed from the get go to be 3 row family haulers. So was the outgoing Highlander.
Old 04-10-19, 03:48 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
No, the problem was that the Highlander targeted a smaller size/footprint. It wasn't a huge problem, as it still sold relatively well. Now today's mid-sized SUVs are absolutely intended for three rows and to effectively become the minivans of today's family. They're not squeezing in the 3rd row to the Pilot design, the Atlas, the Telluride, Palisade, Pathfinder, Ascent, Explorer, Traverse, Enclave. These are all designed from the get go to be 3 row family haulers. So was the outgoing Highlander.
True, just look at the 1st gen Highlander which was a 2-row. That was a mid-size at the time and is smaller in some ways (maybe all ways) than the Rav4. Most people that would have bought a minivan years ago now buy 3-row crossovers. Even with some space compromises, people just prefer them way more. Not like it's a total mistake in choosing these over minivans. People like to forget the AWD, higher ground clearance, and more desirable looks.

There's no question these are sized for the intention of 3 rows. Believe it or not though, some compacts such as the VW Tiguan hpas an optional 3rd row. The Rogue did but I think they dropped the option.
Old 04-10-19, 07:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

It’s going to be handsome and an improvement over the current Highlander, but man the RWD based Explorer has ruined this segment for me. The overhangs on that Highlander picture are huge. Shame the next RX will suffer the same.
Old 04-10-19, 11:19 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by john341
I plan on upgrading from our 2009 Highlander, which has been an absolute gem.
thats still my favorite looking highlander, still had a proper suv look, and then the 2014 came in looking more like a big wagon

going from yours to a new one will be a bit disappointing in terms of how it drives, (feels much more sluggish at low speeds after they added the 8 speed in 2017) but as far as tss-p and all the other features are concerned I'd say it's the best suv in its class

id say get a 2016 but I understand it's hard to justify not getting all the extra stuff the 2017 came with... UGHH!! they just had to get rid of that perfectly working 6 speed!
Old 04-11-19, 07:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
thats still my favorite looking highlander, still had a proper suv look, and then the 2014 came in looking more like a big wagon

going from yours to a new one will be a bit disappointing in terms of how it drives, (feels much more sluggish at low speeds after they added the 8 speed in 2017) but as far as tss-p and all the other features are concerned I'd say it's the best suv in its class

id say get a 2016 but I understand it's hard to justify not getting all the extra stuff the 2017 came with... UGHH!! they just had to get rid of that perfectly working 6 speed!
For the 2016, as long as you get a Limited, you get most of what was added on the 17s. For example, my 16 has radar cruise, BSM, LDA, auto high beams, etc.
Old 04-12-19, 01:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It’s going to be handsome and an improvement over the current Highlander, but man the RWD based Explorer has ruined this segment for me. The overhangs on that Highlander picture are huge. Shame the next RX will suffer the same.
exactly, the teaser image looks ludicrous with a corolla sized wheelbase and a highlander body length just to save a few $
Old 04-12-19, 03:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Looks good though hard to judge. My hope is they stretch the wheelbase a few inches on the new TNGA platform for which this will likely be based on. This will also give us insight into the next RX, again needing a much longer wheelbase for added room and a more composed ride.
Old 04-12-19, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Based on most of the mid-sized three-row crossover SUVs at the D.C. show (and I looked at all the ones displayed), most of them were very cramped inside with the third row. It was an inevitable compromise where the second-row seats were adjusted.....to get any legroom at all in the second row, the third-row seats were essentially for midgets....which they are to some extent, anyway.
Old 04-12-19, 06:48 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
For the 2016, as long as you get a Limited, you get most of what was added on the 17s. For example, my 16 has radar cruise, BSM, LDA, auto high beams, etc.
oh yea true i forgot about that, almost everyone who came looking for a highlander wanted an XLE so i'm used to thinking about the highlander in terms of that model lol... and in 2017 the XLE got essentially all the features of the limited apart from i think cooled seats and seat memory
Old 04-13-19, 10:22 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I'm actually excited by this. But knowing Toyota these days, they will tout sportiness only to stuff a mismatched barely adequate old powertrain in there. Yes the current 3.5L in the Highlander is old. Hopefully, it is more refined in terms of road and wind noise, which the RAV is pretty poor at.
Well, technically the 3.5L in the current model isn't old, they replaced the old FE with the FKS in 2017 and I can't see them abandoning that shiny new engine for another one yet. They'll probably end up bumping the HP to the same 295 found in the RX350. If anything, they'll probably get rid of that sad joke of a 2.7L option they have (talk about unsafe merging on the highway) and replace it with the 2.0T used in the Lexus models and in the Highlander in China.
Old 04-13-19, 12:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmon
Well, technically the 3.5L in the current model isn't old, they replaced the old FE with the FKS in 2017 and I can't see them abandoning that shiny new engine for another one yet. They'll probably end up bumping the HP to the same 295 found in the RX350. If anything, they'll probably get rid of that sad joke of a 2.7L option they have (talk about unsafe merging on the highway) and replace it with the 2.0T used in the Lexus models and in the Highlander in China.
The V6 Highlander has had 295 hp since the 2017 refresh (and the hybrid at 306 hp).

Quick Reply: 2020 Highlander