Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-20, 09:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

TFL shows third row is PATHETIC even with the second row all the way forward (making the second row useless too).

3rd row part at 3 minutes in.

Old 01-05-20, 09:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
TFL shows third row is PATHETIC even with the second row all the way forward (making the second row useless too).

https://youtu.be/quJdwQS_6WU

You forget there is also the Sienna.
People can always buy the Sequoia which has a superior third row to all mid size crossovers (complete with adaptive variable suspensions with air)

It’s too bad there wasn’t a 3rd delete option on the HL like the 4Runner, LX, GX and Land Crusier.

Never understood why people make such a big deal with a third row for a mid size model. Strange. Not everyone wants them. All our 4Runners were ordered with 2 row and we have no idea where the removable seats for the LX went.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-05-20 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-05-20, 12:46 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
People can always buy the Sequoia which has a superior third row to all mid size crossovers (complete with adaptive variable suspensions with air)

It’s too bad there wasn’t a 3rd delete option on the HL like the 4Runner, LX, GX and Land Crusier.

Never understood why people make such a big deal with a third row for a mid size model. Strange. Not everyone wants them. All our 4Runners were ordered with 2 row and we have no idea where the removable seats for the LX went.
GX470 had the 2nd row delete, current 460 and Land C, is 3 row only.

Its a big deal cause one is paying for the third row and not 2 row CUV?

Old 01-05-20, 12:56 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

People that want SUVs probably don't want minivans. If you want a useable 3rd row SUV, you'll probably go Pilot or Telluride/palisade. I got to sit in all of these car over the weekend and the Telluride and Palisade have much better interiors and interior space. Really impressive cars.
Old 01-05-20, 02:33 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I’m liking it more and more. As long as the third row is comparable to ours, it would be fine.
Old 01-05-20, 03:13 PM
DanGuelph4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

https://youtu.be/quJdwQS_6WU
That person is 6.2! He was sitting in front driver seat as a 6.2 person, then he moved 2nd row seat forward and then he can still fit in 3rd row being 6.2! Basically 3 tall persons can sit if they will distribute space between them.

Just to further prove my point - here 's a better video of Alex on Autos where he sits behind himself and again behind himself in all 3 rows being 6ft tall WITH 2 inches of legroom left in ALL of 3 rows! I mean what else is there to say?! Here he talks about it at exactly 10:01 time in that video time-frame:

Moreover, right before that (9:56 timeframe in video) he tries to slid 2nd row ALL THE WAY BACK and can still squeeze and sit in 3rd row being 6ft tall!
Moral of story here? That huge person from TFL is just huge 300lbs overweight tall person (I bet he is taller than 6.2 he mentioned, probably like 6.4) - I can probably fit in his belly alone lol. That guy would need a church-bus to fit, and yet he still fit somehow! If you are that huge, you really need to consider F150 truck or something. Huge people like NBA players or just huge girth wise and tall simultaneously - they don't usually buy cars that are "family" oriented. They usually look for specific models with huge interior space. Minivan or full size trucks. Just my opinion.

Last edited by DanGuelph4; 01-05-20 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-05-20, 03:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DanGuelph4
That person is 6.2! He was sitting in front driver seat as a 6.2 person, then he moved 2nd row seat forward and then he can still fit in 3rd row being 6.2! Basically 3 tall persons can sit if they will distribute space between them.

Just to further prove my point - here 's a better video of Alex on Autos where he sits behind himself and again behind himself in all 3 rows being 6ft tall. If you want more room than that - you need a minivan or a schoolbus. Here he talks about it at exactly 10:01 time in that video time-frame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4mEZpOZi5g

Moreover, right before that he tries to slid 2nd row ALL THE WAY BACK and can still squeeze and sit in 3rd row being 6ft tall!
Moral of story here? That huge person from TFL is just huge 300lbs overweight tall person (I bet he is taller than 6.2 he mentioned) - I can probably fit in his belly alone lol. That guy would need a church-bus to fit, and yet he still fit somehow! If you are that huge, you really need to consider F150 truck or something. Huge people like NBA players or just huge girth wise and tall simultaneously - they don't usually buy cars that are "family" oriented. They usually look for specific models with huge interior space. Minivan or full size trucks.
Nice to see a rationale reply. You can also drive a Sequoia as well if one does not want a minivan.
The original Highlander had a 2 row option

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-05-20 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-05-20, 05:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DanGuelph4
Welcome to CL!

and no you can't do what you say when he crushed himself into the third seat the second row had become unusable so you can't fit 3 tall persons behind one another.

Just to further prove my point - here 's a better video of Alex on Autos where he sits behind himself and again behind himself in all 3 rows being 6ft tall WITH 2 inches of legroom left in ALL of 3 rows! I mean what else is there to say?! Here he talks about it at exactly 10:01 time in that video time-frame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4mEZpOZi5g
If you're good with it, glad. I don't consider it roomy enough. It will probably work ok with very short people in the back or crushed people for very short distances.

Moral of story here? That huge person from TFL is just huge 300lbs overweight tall person (I bet he is taller than 6.2 he mentioned, probably like 6.4) - I can probably fit in his belly alone lol.
Not sure why he would claim he's shorter than he is.

That guy would need a church-bus to fit
Or a buick enclave
Old 01-05-20, 05:16 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Most people buying a Highlander don't want and won't look at a Sienna. Virtually all the mini van owners on my block have gone to crossovers. And a Sequoia is not in the same price range. So if the 2nd or 3rd row are in adequate, most shoppers are going to another brand.
Old 01-05-20, 05:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

not at all, we're not discussing the sienna. I just don't like vehicles that have a third row that isn't usable or is barely usable only in limited cases. Granted, that's the case with most mid size crossovers.

that's an option for those who want an antique, introduced in 2008. actually i don't believe it has adaptive variable suspension with air?? Maybe you're thinking of land cruiser or lx570? Finally, i was shocked to see a loaded sequioa is now over $69K

Never understood why people make such a big deal with a third row for a mid size model. Strange.
Not everyone wants them. All our 4Runners were ordered with 2 row and we have no idea where the removable seats for the LX went.
because for those who want 3 rows but don't want or can't afford a massive full size suv/crossover, it would be better if it was usable.

Old 01-05-20, 05:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Granted, that's the case with most mid size crossovers.
?

actually i don't believe it has adaptive variable suspension with air??
Yup It sure has it.
Old 01-05-20, 05:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I don’t believe it’s smaller than the current version. Im 5’10”, but with very long legs (36” inseam). I can sit behind myself in all three rows of ours. I’ve ridden in the back and it’s fine. If we have company, I just put the kids in the third row. They think it’s fun and have plenty of room, while our guests stretch out in the second row. No big deal.

I’m currently on vacation with a rental Pacifica. Tons of room but lord this vehicle is terrible. I would not trade my Highlander for one.

I’d want a van though if I had a 3rd or 4th kid, just not this one.

Last edited by JDR76; 01-05-20 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-05-20, 06:05 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Except that we've explained it to you countless times in this forum.

Midsize crossovers are 'family' vehicles. Most families I know need to transport more than just their immediate family members sometimes, or even lots of times. Cousins, friends, teammates, neighbors, etc. So if you have a 5-passenger model, you can't do this. Which means that your family won't be included in the sports/religious school/band/whatever car pool. So instead of driving only one-way, or every other week or every third week, or you are driving--EVERY SINGLE TIME. Pretty inconvenient for most 2-parent working families that I know.

But those families can't just spring for a Tahoe or Suburban sized vehicle. Those cost $1000s more. So a small 3rd row for use a few times a month is..... PERFECT.
Old 01-05-20, 06:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Yup It sure has it.
Thanks looked it up, only on the platinum trim at $69K
Old 01-05-20, 06:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks looked it up, only on the platinum trim at $69K
The KIA and Hyundai suvs you love have a hydraulic lift for the rear. Never seen a manufacturer do it the way they do it, only mid size I know of that has a system like it. Only works as you get driving as well. No servicing either.

Quick Reply: 2020 Highlander