Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-20, 05:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
urh, so what Highlander competitor has hybrid powertrain, let alone a good one and gets 35 mpg in AWD vehicle (Telluridegets 21 MPG?)?
Ok, but if someone isn't interested in the hybrid model, then this is true. The gas version Highlander breaks no ground and merely catches up (or gets close) to the newer class-leading competitors. Gas Highlander vs. Telluride/Palisade, I would not pick Highlander.
Old 01-07-20, 06:21 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

urh, so what Highlander competitor has hybrid powertrain, let alone a good one and gets 35 mpg in AWD vehicle (Telluridegets 21 MPG?)?

As to surpassing RX, GX, Tacoma "generations ago" then why are they selling so well? RX and Tacoma are best sellers in their class - beating all the competition easily, GX sells crazy good for what it is.

I mean if you are unhappy with every vehicle that largest and most profitable car manufacturer in the world offers, is it possible that you are not their target market?
The new Hybrid is a little too weak for its class though. I'm surprised they didn't go with the V6 hybrid option and lose a little MPG. It's a pain road tripping a car to the mountains when it's wheezing it's way due to lack of power.

The Highlander may be a better option for those who don't really use their third row as it's a little smaller.
Old 01-07-20, 06:51 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

As to surpassing RX, GX, Tacoma "generations ago" then why are they selling so well? RX and Tacoma are best sellers in their class - beating all the competition easily, GX sells crazy good for what it is.

I mean if you are unhappy with every vehicle that largest and most profitable car manufacturer in the world offers, is it possible that you are not their target market?
Why are you comparing a hybrid 4cylinder powertrain to a big V6? Apples to oranges no? The uninformed will be mislead by your misleading comparison. Oh not to mention again, Toyota went to a 4cylinder to get that mileage, so not Earth shattering in case you conveniently ignored that fact.

MB and BMW outsells Lexus everywhere, so what's your point? Sales of all of Lexus' SUV lineup is down and only the UX gave it flat overall numbers. So no!

Their target market is anyone that buys a car or will buy a car. If I am spending my hard earned money, I get to have a voice. How big or profitable they are really only means 1 thing to me, that is they arent going out of business any time soon.

Last edited by situman; 01-07-20 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-07-20, 06:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The new Hybrid is a little too weak for its class though. I'm surprised they didn't go with the V6 hybrid option and lose a little MPG. It's a pain road tripping a car to the mountains when it's wheezing it's way due to lack of power.
that's not what it's for. it's for driving to costco to fill up with large boxes of supplies, furniture, etc.

The Highlander may be a better option for those who don't really use their third row as it's a little smaller.
unless they have lots of boxes from costco and can't bring the kids too.
Old 01-07-20, 08:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

"Smaller" isnt a selling point lol
Old 01-07-20, 03:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Nobody can achieve the hybrid fuel economy of the Highlander. The hybrid fuel economy puts the Highlander over the top.
Old 01-07-20, 06:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Great video.

Old 01-07-20, 08:53 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I`m planning a detailed stop by the local Toyota dealership. Saw they have alot of new ones in (no hybrids tho)

I have to admit, I`m trying to see if the interior acoustics are something that can beat the RX/GX. Right now the ole GX is the quietest of the two, if TGNA can beat that...who knows.
Tech/reliability is already there, soo TBD
Old 01-07-20, 08:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

It’s not likely to be as quiet as the GX
Old 01-07-20, 09:04 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It’s not likely to be as quiet as the GX
Only person with some sort of "statistics" was Alex on Autos,

19 HiH: 71.5
GX 67
RX 69
Havent seen the 20 HiH so I`ll measure it on the open roads to see if the needle was moved. But again more statistics with AA full review I guess
Old 01-08-20, 06:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

keep in mind the hybrid highlander is only $1700 more than the non hybrid version
Old 01-08-20, 06:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
keep in mind the hybrid highlander is only $1700 more than the non hybrid version
However, also keep in mind a Highlander Platinum is $4000 more than a top of the line Telluride or Palisade. So if a buyer is set on the Highlander, the gas savings over the life of ownership may fund the extra cost for the Hybrid. But if the buyer is still cross-shopping brands, maybe not.
Old 01-08-20, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
However, also keep in mind a Highlander Platinum is $4000 more than a top of the line Telluride or Palisade.

I'll reserve final judgement until I've seen the new Highlander up close and/or that-driven it, but, in general, based on past Highlanders, I'm not convinced they were worth $4K more on top versions than the Koreans.
Old 01-08-20, 06:51 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber

19 HiH: 71.5
GX 67
RX 69
Havent seen the 20 HiH so I`ll measure it on the open roads to see if the needle was moved. But again more statistics with AA full review I guess
Yea the Highlander won't touch the GX on noise suppression. I can hear a lot of road noise in the youtube reviews. The HL and RX will beat the GX in terms of wind noise below 70 though, simply because the GX has the Cd of a house on wheels but I'll take the soothing whooshing wind over aggravating road noise.
Old 01-08-20, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
That's because of two reasons. First, because Alex doesn't cut corners on his reviews (there is a reason why they are a half-hour in length), and, Second, he probably has access to the sound-measuring equipment needed for decimals (or sones).

Quick Reply: 2020 Highlander