Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-20, 07:09 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's because of two reasons. First, because Alex doesn't cut corners on his reviews (there is a reason why they are a half-hour in length), and, Second, he probably has access to the sound-measuring equipment needed for decimals (or sones).
It also depends on the tires, type of roads and personal tolerance of the type of noises and which car you came from. I've always found Lexus cars and crossovers to have terrible road noise including the LS, except for the GX. I have not driven the LX so I can't comment on that.
Old 01-08-20, 12:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Only person with some sort of "statistics" was Alex on Autos,

19 HiH: 71.5
GX 67
RX 69
Havent seen the 20 HiH so I`ll measure it on the open roads to see if the needle was moved. But again more statistics with AA full review I guess
Car & Driver does the dB test. So does Motortrend.
Old 01-08-20, 10:33 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Car & Driver does the dB test. So does Motortrend.
Thanks, do you have the numbers for the 2020 highlander? They list almost all the other metrics, but coming up short on the db
Old 01-08-20, 10:36 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by situman
Yea the Highlander won't touch the GX on noise suppression. I can hear a lot of road noise in the youtube reviews. The HL and RX will beat the GX in terms of wind noise below 70 though, simply because the GX has the Cd of a house on wheels but I'll take the soothing whooshing wind over aggravating road noise.
Ill update on it when I get the chance to stop by. I`m interested slightly seeing how the TSS 2.0 is available which apparently pairs well with comma.ai project(didnt know DIY level 2 driving was a thing until recently). Upper trim highlander the carmel leather interior really is quite appealing to me.

Old 01-09-20, 05:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Why are you comparing a hybrid 4cylinder powertrain to a big V6? Apples to oranges no? The uninformed will be mislead by your misleading comparison. Oh not to mention again, Toyota went to a 4cylinder to get that mileage, so not Earth shattering in case you conveniently ignored that fact.

MB and BMW outsells Lexus everywhere, so what's your point? Sales of all of Lexus' SUV lineup is down and only the UX gave it flat overall numbers. So no!

Their target market is anyone that buys a car or will buy a car. If I am spending my hard earned money, I get to have a voice. How big or profitable they are really only means 1 thing to me, that is they arent going out of business any time soon.
You are actually all over the place - so if target market is anyone that buys a car, why wont they want to buy Highlander Hybrid vs Korean vehicles? Do you think customers will think it is unfair comparison?

What I am referring to is that all the reviewers already mentioned how there is no huge difference between Highlander Hybrid and Highlander V6 in performance, so I am not sure why do you think customers wont compare and buy between the two, and sure, it is what makes Highlander VERY unique since nobody has anything similar to this technology at this price.

But apparently when Toyota has something unique, it becomes to unfair to compare to others... maybe that is why they are #1.
Old 01-09-20, 05:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

The new highlander hybrid will sell in great numbers.
Old 01-09-20, 07:31 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
You are actually all over the place - so if target market is anyone that buys a car, why wont they want to buy Highlander Hybrid vs Korean vehicles? Do you think customers will think it is unfair comparison?
What I am referring to is that all the reviewers already mentioned how there is no huge difference between Highlander Hybrid and Highlander V6 in performance, so I am not sure why do you think customers wont compare and buy between the two, and sure, it is what makes Highlander VERY unique since nobody has anything similar to this technology at this price.

But apparently when Toyota has something unique, it becomes to unfair to compare to others... maybe that is why they

It doesnt matter if they are number 1. GM was number 1 and it didnt mean a thing. Besides I believe VW outsold Toyota so whatevs.

To say that a Hybrid 4cylinder has better fuel economy than a big V6 is stating the obvious. Perhaps Toyota shouldnt offer the NA V6 and just offer the Hybrid. Many people still prefer the refinement of a V6 over a buzzy 4cylinder and people will naturally compare V6 to V6. Now if the HL Hybrid is still a V6 then you can compare it on fuel economy.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-09-20 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-11-20, 11:10 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Saw it at the local auto show. It reminds me a lot of the 2015 Highlander, but I don't feel it is anything special inside or out (I'd rather get an explorer ST). I'm sure it'll do well though for Toyco loyalists.

Old 01-12-20, 02:38 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ST430
Saw it at the local auto show. It reminds me a lot of the 2015 Highlander, but I don't feel it is anything special inside or out (I'd rather get an explorer ST). I'm sure it'll do well though for Toyco loyalists.

What variant was at the show?
Old 01-12-20, 10:41 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coolsaber
What variant was at the show?
Limited and platinum....
Old 01-12-20, 10:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430

nice post. Will do well for those who like Toyota
Old 01-12-20, 01:02 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
nice post. Will do well for those who like Toyota
Sorry wasn't very informative, as I'm busy with other stuff...but to give u a sense of what I saw:

- exterior : larger then before but I feel the lines are too soft and inappropriate for the SUV, co aidering the hostelling RAV4 is more squarish in design. Was just meh overall.

- interior: materials were just ok on the limited, but not anything special. Doors felt a bit thin and the space was just ok. Folding rear seats down dive give ample cargo room.

- tech : I liked the new LCDs Toyco is incorporating, but it's not a standout wow like an Audi cockipit dashboard.

Old 01-15-20, 02:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Saw today. I think the Highlander looks far nicer, cleaner and sharper looks.

Old 01-15-20, 03:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Old 01-15-20, 03:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Here is how flat the front end is to the new Highlander.

Reminds me of the Mazda CX

Quick Reply: 2020 Highlander