Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-20, 02:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
disappointing to see in that review (telluride vs highlander) that highlander is noisy on the highway.
i would be disappointed that there is a 4 MPG difference on the highway between the two. How did KIA/Hyundai do so bad against GR engine from 15 years ago?
Or how is Highlander sportier and better handling of two?

Rav4 is also pretty noisy, weight loss try i would guess, and they improved on it for 2020.
Old 04-04-20, 10:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i would be disappointed that there is a 4 MPG difference on the highway between the two. How did KIA/Hyundai do so bad against GR engine from 15 years ago?
The KIA/Hyu 3.8 is just as old, if not older. Less power too. Toyota is ahead of the Koreans in the powertrain department

Better platform for driving instead of needless 3 row hauling. The new HL is closer to Mazda for driving experience.
Old 04-04-20, 10:37 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ks005
The Telluride is the 1st CUV/SUV to win the trifecta of NAIAS, MT and C/D's 10Best.

Also won virtually every other single award/ranking/comparison - Consumer Reports, Autoweek, Automobile, Motorweek, KBB, Autotrader, Edmunds, etc. and would be surprising if it didn't win World Car of the Year (over 2 Mazdas).

Only comparison it hasn't won was for Cars.com, coming 2nd to the Palisade.

May be the most dominating run by a model since the 3 Series (when it was still the 3 Series).
The proof is in the sales reports. Telluride actually increased sales in March 2020 vs. 2020 of last year. Highlander went down by 45% vs. last year. Its definitely taken quite a chunk of share.
Old 04-04-20, 02:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

while the highlander and telluride are about the same weight and both .34 CD, the telluride is simply bigger (longer, wider) and so probably loses on fuel economy because of that.

because that's so important in this class of vehicle.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Better platform for driving instead of needless 3 row hauling.
Yeah because no one buys a 3 row crossover for 3 rows.
Old 04-06-20, 09:41 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

My sister bought a 2020 Highlander Limited AWD this weekend. I haven't been able to talk to her about what kind of a deal she was able to get. She apparently went to get a new 4Runner but didn't like how it drove, so she went with the Highlander.
Old 04-06-20, 10:50 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

As a testament to this, my neighbor across the street works for Toyota (I'm in a suburb north of Dallas, near the Toyota Plano HQ) and recently moved from California as part of the HQ shift. He says he gets to buy any Toyota/Lexus vehicle for 10% above cost; just before the shelter-in-place took effect in mid-March he was replacing his Highlander Limited and took home a Telluride SX. Said he negotiated for half the day and got it $300 above MSRP; granted he hasn't done much driving with it since but we talked (i.e. shouted across our yards with social distancing) about it yesterday while he was mowing.
PROS - longer warranty, cheaper than a comparable Highlander, actually usable 3rd row, better build, quieter ride
CONS - Powertrain good but tad underpowered, dealership experience

Obviously this is limited to his perspective but the Highlander will sell because it is a Toyota, and the 3rd row seat (which has never been good for any generation of the Highlander) is a good line to add on the glossy brochure. It is, in his perspective, a "disappointing vehicle given this competitive segment" and I think that sums up what the new Highlander means in today's segment. The best-selling vehicle doesn't mean it's the best vehicle. To echo the M/T comparison, he cross-shopped the CX-9 (unusable 3rd row), Explorer (shockingly expensive and flirts in the $60k range), Highlander (the brand got him in the door, the test-drive disqualified it), and Pilot (good....but not great).

I personally will seriously consider one if:
a) mid-cycle refresh brings a new powertrain that has more umph
b) Genesis launches the GV90 to build off the Palisade/Telluride success
Old 04-06-20, 11:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

JDR76 congrats to your sister!
Old 04-06-20, 12:13 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
JDR76 congrats to your sister!
Thanks. I hope she enjoys it. She seems pretty happy with it so far.
Old 04-06-20, 01:59 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice! The highlander is a still a good fit for lots of peoples needs.
Old 04-06-20, 02:05 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
Nice! The highlander is a still a good fit for lots of peoples needs.
It's replacing her 2016 Highlander, which she put over 100k miles on, taking road trips and hauling kids and their friends all over. She uses the 3rd row a lot with her teenagers, so this one will see similar use I am sure. She will no doubt appreciate the added cargo room behind the third row on this one.
Old 04-07-20, 09:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wandl
Obviously this is limited to his perspective but the Highlander will sell because it is a Toyota, and the 3rd row seat (which has never been good for any generation of the Highlander) is a good line to add on the glossy brochure.
The original HL, the 3rd row was optional. I think Toyota should offer a 2 row version.

Originally Posted by Wandl
The best-selling vehicle doesn't mean it's the best vehicle.
The HL does not have to be the best, the outgoing model wasn't the best either. The HL needs to be competitive which it is and the best-selling status indicates Toyota has a good feel of what their owners want in a Highlander. The change in their hybrid offering indicates how Toyota is following what they think their owners want
Old 04-07-20, 09:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

I like companies that try and make the best product they can make, thats part of my issue with modern Toyota. They are content to make a vehicle like the Highlander that never even tries to be the best, it tries to be "competitive" and is made with the understanding that people will buy it because its a Toyota.

Toyota in the 90s for example tried to build the best cars they could, and in every segment they were in they raised the bar. They don't do that anymore, anywhere. Everything is "competitive".

When I look at a Hyundai or Kia, I get a feeling that they are trying to put the best product out there that they can, which appeals to me. When I look at a Toyota, I know they can do so much more and can't be bothered, which is a huge turn off.
Old 04-07-20, 09:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Toyota in the 90s for example tried to build the best cars they could, and in every segment they were in they raised the bar. They don't do that anymore, anywhere. Everything is "competitive".f.
I don't think Toyota is any worse today than they were in the 90s. The HL is better in some ways to a Palisade and in some ways deficient, just like a Explorer has for better driving feel as well as 400hp. As for 3rd row, to me they are pointless, I don't have little kids at this stage in my life, nor do I ever want to pack up many family (7 people) members into one car, so that makes the new the HL better for me if I were looking at a mid size crossover

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-07-20 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-07-20, 09:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

I totally disagree about Toyota today vs Toyota in the 90s. Toyota does not lead in any area today, where they led all over the place in the 90s. They can build the absolute best put all the compettiors to shame cars in every segment if they wanted to. But, they don't want to. Hyundai does, they just don't have the resources or ability Toyota does...yet. They're getting better and better though.

I don't have little kids at this stage in my life, nor do I everwant to pack up many family (7 people) members into one car, so that makes the new the HL better for me if I were looking at a mid size SUV
Then you aren't a consumer for a 3 row crossover, clearly. The whole point is to be able to carry 3 rows of people when you need to.

So, the Highlander is the 3 row crossover of choice for people who don't actually need or want three rows in their crossover. Makes one scratch their head as to why those people are buying a 3 row crossover, but okay lol. Why would you buy a 7 passenger vehicle if you never (your emphasis) want to carry 7 people? Why would you think a 7 passenger vehicle should be designed with people who dont want to carry 7 people in mind?

What you want is a 2 row vehicle. Nothing wrong with that.

Toyota either just really doesn't understand how to make such a vehicle...or they don't care (which is my assumption). The RX-L is a joke, and the Highlander while not a joke is a shadow of what it could be.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-07-20 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-07-20, 09:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

We use our third row a lot, as does my sister with hers, but if I didn't need a third row, I doubt I'd have a Highlander (or any three row vehicle).

Quick Reply: 2020 Highlander