Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-20, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Yeah I don't even think about Audi as being a FWD based car because of the longitudinal engines
Old 06-07-20, 12:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yeah I don't even think about Audi as being a FWD based car because of the longitudinal engines
not to mention the evolution of quattro over all these years, which is a very nice drivetrain. Acura may be trying that route with sh-awd, which may be even better technically.
Old 06-07-20, 12:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Went and looked at the new Highlander last week and came away very disappointed. It is flat out ugly. Huge front overhang, strange grille details, flabby and soft side styling, and nothing too special inside. It didn't take more than a few seconds to be turned off.
not surprised. I dislike the exterior and interior. No doubt a smooth and comfortable drive, highly reliable, and an "oh yeah it has a 3rd row" for when you need to shoe horn in some unlucky people.
Old 06-07-20, 01:23 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not to mention the evolution of quattro over all these years, which is a very nice drivetrain. Acura may be trying that route with sh-awd, which may be even better technically.
Acura is still transversely mounted though, except for that one time when the RL was longitudinal 20 years ago.

On the flip side, I feel like Audi is going backwards with the wider implementation of Quattro Ultra (a more advanced Haldex system) merely for the sake of an extra couple gallons of fuel economy. Of course, most Audi buyers will never notice the difference with an A6 in normal driving.
Old 08-05-20, 10:33 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick Walkaround for those who may not have seen a new Highlander. Will have the trim/content break downs, control and button overview, and driving tech videos up later this week and next week probably.

Fairly attractive (other than some of the proportions) and a big upgrade over the outgoing Highlander visually, at least in this top spec Platinum trim with the 12.3" infotainment unit. Still doesn't really compare with the Palisade Limited or Telluride SX in terms of overall appeal though.
Old 08-09-20, 10:24 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

trim and content breakdown of the 2020 Highlander. We received the top of the line Platinum V6 AWD. Sticker price at over $51k!

Old 08-10-20, 07:17 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I bought a 2011 brand new limited top of the line, after 2 days I realized its the worst decision we ever made. Yes the suv was soft and easy to drive but it was very very boring to be in, either you are a passenger or driver. It lasted about 4 weeks before we traded in for a lx. I looked at a 2019 top of the line and came out again with the same feeling. seems like they are improving it gradually, it much better than the last gen but that vanilla feeling is still there. I would still buy it over any Korean brand though..
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not surprised. I dislike the exterior and interior. No doubt a smooth and comfortable drive, highly reliable, and an "oh yeah it has a 3rd row" for when you need to shoe horn in some unlucky people.
Old 08-10-20, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
I bought a 2011 brand new limited top of the line, after 2 days I realized its the worst decision we ever made. Yes the suv was soft and easy to drive but it was very very boring to be in, either you are a passenger or driver. It lasted about 4 weeks before we traded in for a lx. I looked at a 2019 top of the line and came out again with the same feeling. seems like they are improving it gradually, it much better than the last gen but that vanilla feeling is still there.
So whats boring about being comfortable? Or would you rather be tossed around all over the place, by a rock-hard "sports" suspension and tires, every time you hit a bump?

I would still buy it over any Korean brand though..
Don't underestimate what the Koreans are putting out. In some ways (not all), they are outdoing the Japanese.
Old 08-11-20, 06:52 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So whats boring about being comfortable? Or would you rather be tossed around all over the place, by a rock-hard "sports" suspension and tires, every time you hit a bump?
It's a good thing we aren't limited to these extremes.

"Comfortable, soft-riding, cloud-like" can also translate to "uninspiring, disconnected, poor handling". Just like "rock-hard, firm" can translate to "better handling, better road feel". All comes down to the driver and what they want out of the vehicle.

Regarding the post you quoted, maybe the "boring" UZ214 was talking about was the interior appeal?
Old 08-11-20, 07:10 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

I am not UZ214, but I have a feeling he hated his Highlander for the same reason I hated our RX350. It's an appliance that's just totally unengaging to drive. If you don't like driving and just want to get from point A to point B, it's an excellent option. But some of us actually enjoy driving.

This is not to say that the only alternative to a boring, unengaging appliance is a hardcore track machine that ruptures your kidneys when you drive over a pebble. When we replaced the RX, my wife still wanted an SUV, so we settled on the Q7. It's still comfortable, quiet, and rides extremely well, but doesn't make me feel dead inside when I'm behind the wheel. You can have a little fun with it when the mood strikes. Am I going to autocross it? Of course not.
Old 08-11-20, 07:40 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I am not UZ214, but I have a feeling he hated his Highlander for the same reason I hated our RX350. It's an appliance that's just totally unengaging to drive. If you don't like driving and just want to get from point A to point B, it's an excellent option. But some of us actually enjoy driving.

This is not to say that the only alternative to a boring, unengaging appliance is a hardcore track machine that ruptures your kidneys when you drive over a pebble. When we replaced the RX, my wife still wanted an SUV, so we settled on the Q7. It's still comfortable, quiet, and rides extremely well, but doesn't make me feel dead inside when I'm behind the wheel. You can have a little fun with it when the mood strikes. Am I going to autocross it? Of course not.
I bought a 2011 brand new limited top of the line, after 2 days I realized its the worst decision we ever made. Yes the suv was soft and easy to drive but it was very very boring to be in, either you are a passenger or driver. It lasted about 4 weeks before we traded in for a lx. I looked at a 2019 top of the line and came out again with the same feeling. seems like they are improving it gradually, it much better than the last gen but that vanilla feeling is still there. I would still buy it over any Korean brand though..
I'm confused. Did you guys walk into the dealership expecting to walk out with a canyon carver when everyone and their grandmothers knows what these 2 vehicles were designed and intended for.
Old 08-11-20, 11:01 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

it was a good car, the. Trade was almost what I paid for it, but it was felt disconnected with the road, the steering was very numb. You go on a PA back road and it would be bobbing and weaving. I could barely take it off-road which I do a lot for MTB and camping. The interior was very uninviting and if you want to spend 3-4 days / not very comfortable. (we do a lot of road trips) To drive it for 14 hours straight to Chicago stayed for a week and back we were basically done with it. The road noise + wind noise on highways was always there. Those 2 front piston calipers brakes are soft and honestly need to go, I am surprised they are still used 10 years later. Plus there were few other minor things like heating seats either not warm enough or too warm, headlights output was meh.

This was an impulse by based on awesome reviews as a family hauler, again its was a great reliable machine and kept its value but just didn't suit our family.

Originally Posted by geko29

Last edited by UZ214; 08-11-20 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-11-20, 11:04 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

you are absolutely right, having two little toddler does it to you.
Originally Posted by situman
I'm confused. Did you guys walk into the dealership expecting to walk out with a canyon carver when everyone and their grandmothers knows what these 2 vehicles were designed and intended for.
Old 08-13-20, 11:00 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

you are absolutely right, having two little toddler does it to you.
The RX, while is a nice drive, just doesnt feel....great I guess? I had a 2020 as a loaner and I miss my GX460 instantly. Sure its more comfortable but it lacks personality that the GX has or feel as solid and sturdy.
Old 08-14-20, 10:21 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Digging through the 2020 Highlander's controls and features.

Quick Reply: 2020 Highlander