Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-20, 07:13 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Wife love the RX so I always have one in the house, it drives somewhat better than the highlander but compared to GX/LX it feels like you are driving a raised car. It works though, I can put on my bike rack and even put on a canoe on the RX if I need to go to place where I care about messing the LX up.
Originally Posted by situman
The RX, while is a nice drive, just doesnt feel....great I guess? I had a 2020 as a loaner and I miss my GX460 instantly. Sure its more comfortable but it lacks personality that the GX has or feel as solid and sturdy.
Old 08-20-20, 07:17 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The Lane Trace Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control on the Highlander was very impressive. Was able to keep hands off (but hovering right next to it to jump in) for nearly 6 minutes along the beltway. Mostly straight, but with a number of very soft arcing curves. Obviously this isn't meant to be an autonomous system, but it's remarkable how far some of these technologies have come in the past decade.

Old 08-20-20, 07:22 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

How comparable would you say these two systems are?
Old 08-21-20, 06:51 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
How comparable would you say these two systems are?
In theory they should be similar, but I haven't been in an RX in a few years. I also think there are some updates to steering controls with the Highlander that the RX hasn't received yet (TNGA vs older K Platform). The NX I had recently had similar system, and is older platform as well, and definitely wasn't as capable as the 2020 Highlander, so that fits the idea that the updated architecture vehicles are able to implement the technology more effectively.
Old 08-21-20, 09:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
In theory they should be similar, but I haven't been in an RX in a few years. I also think there are some updates to steering controls with the Highlander that the RX hasn't received yet (TNGA vs older K Platform). The NX I had recently had similar system, and is older platform as well, and definitely wasn't as capable as the 2020 Highlander, so that fits the idea that the updated architecture vehicles are able to implement the technology more effectively.
TMC updates autobraking tech all the time, there is something new with every new model it comes out, so a lot of improvements every year. They are definitely investing a lot into it, and big benefit is that it is now in every car they sell, they managed to make it affordable enough yet have the features where they dont nickel and dime you for software features when hardware is already implemented.
Old 08-21-20, 08:31 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
TMC updates autobraking tech all the time, there is something new with every new model it comes out, so a lot of improvements every year. They are definitely investing a lot into it, and big benefit is that it is now in every car they sell, they managed to make it affordable enough yet have the features where they dont nickel and dime you for software features when hardware is already implemented.
I`m unfamiliar with these updates? I thought it was TSS/LSS V1 and then now LSS V2
Old 08-23-20, 11:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
Wife love the RX so I always have one in the house, it drives somewhat better than the highlander but compared to GX/LX it feels like you are driving a raised car. .
That is exactly what an RX is...just a raised car... The body on frame GX or LX are on a whole other level .
Old 08-25-20, 04:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Seeing more Highlanders on the road, very meh IMHO.
Old 08-25-20, 05:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I do like the interiors of the new ones but don’t love the exteriors. I like the exterior of my 19 better. We’ll keep this one a long time. We’ve had ours over a year, still love it, and it only has 4K miles on it.
Old 08-25-20, 07:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Seeing more Highlanders on the road, very meh IMHO.
but reliable!
Old 08-25-20, 07:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but reliable!
Hah, true! Where was my head?!
Old 10-30-20, 01:29 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I've been waiting for a review of the Highlander Hybrid, but they've been few and far between. Car and Driver finally did one. I'm surprised by some of the acceleration metrics, particularly compared to the 306 hp version that I have in my Highlander. To lose 63 hp but only .3 second to 60 is not bad.

Tested: 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Is a Three-Row Prius

Okay, it’s not quite as fuel efficient as a Prius, but it’s the only hybrid crossover with three-row seating that's EPA rated for more than 33 mpg.

Fire up the Google machine, type in "mid-size crossovers," and prepare to scroll through roughly 1.3 million pages of results. Add "hybrid" into that same search and you'll see significantly fewer results. Drop in a few more filters—three rows of seats, a starting price of less than $40,000, and fuel-economy ratings that all exceed 33 mpg—and the lone match will be the new 2020 Toyota Highlander hybrid. And yes, for the purposes of this argument, we'll ignore the 2021 Toyota Sienna and the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, both of which might meet most of the criteria but fail to posture as symbols of a rugged outdoor lifestyle.

Less Powerful Engine, but More Efficient

Fresh off a full redesign, the fourth generation of Toyota's extremely popular three-row SUV boasts millennial-approved tech features, luxury-grade road manners, and bodywork that's more chiseled than the version it replaces. We've already pitted the regular Highlander against the Honda Pilot and had it face off with the Kia Telluride, but now we've driven its hybrid counterpart in isolation. This includes switching from a 3.5-liter V-6 to a 2.5-liter Atkinson-cycle inline-four and introducing front-wheel drive as standard with the hybridized powertrain. The Highlander hybrid also continues to offer an optional rear-mounted electric motor to provide all-wheel drive without actually running a prop shaft back from the front end.

HIGHS: Unrivaled fuel-economy ratings, impressive range between fill-ups, truly refined road manners.

The smaller internal-combustion engine still teams with a pair of electric motor-generators, but the system's combined output is now 243 horsepower versus the six-pot's 306-hp combo. However, Toyota says downsizing helped create a lighter package with fewer frictional losses. Indeed, our fully loaded Platinum tester weighed 276 pounds less than the 2017 Highlander hybrid we tested, and we found the transition from six to four cylinders to have a negligible effect on acceleration. The new version was only 0.3 second slower to 60 mph, recording a respectable 7.3-second run with the help of all-wheel drive. Yes, the four-cylinder hybrid needed almost an extra second to charge from 50 to 70 mph, but we didn't much notice that deficit when we needed to pass dawdlers or merge onto the highway. The old powertrain's quarter-mile performance was slightly quicker and faster at the drag strip, too. But let's be real: If you see anyone in a hybrid Highlander moonlighting as John Force, they probably work for us.

LOWS: Third row isn't very comfy, non-hybrid Highlander tows more, aggravating center-console-bin design.

And anyway, horsepower ratings and acceleration times are probably about as important to hybrid shoppers as carbon emissions and noise ordinances are to Hellcat customers. Highlander Hybrid buyers prioritize efficiency, and on that front Toyota made great strides over the last-gen hybrid, posting a combined EPA fuel-economy rating that now peaks at 36 mpg—a 7-mpg improvement. The gains versus the non-hybrid gas model are also substantial, with the all-wheel-drive hybrid boasting EPA estimates of up to 35 mpg city and highway, which represent increases of 15 and 8 mpg, respectively. That makes the Toyota the most fuel-efficient three-row crossover you can buy, presuming we ignore luxury EVs like the Tesla Model Y, with its 125 MPGe rating.

Newfound Refinement and Greater Luxury

The Highlander's hybrid powertrain is most efficient in urban environments where stop-and-go traffic helps the battery recoup energy from the regenerative-braking system. However, we accumulated the majority of our 1100-plus miles on the interstate, a driving regimen that's reflected in our observed 29 mpg. While highway cruising doesn't showcase the Highlander's electrified efficiency, it did show off its impressive range between fill-ups. If you managed to hit the AWD model's 35-mpg EPA highway rating, you'd go more nearly 600 miles between fuel stops, meaning that on road trips you'll likely need a break before the Highlander will.

Racking up hundreds of miles on I-75 to and from a campground in Michigan's Upper Peninsula gave us time to appreciate the hybrid Highlander's composure at speed. Its nicely weighted steering and serene ride quality make it one of the better driving crossovers in its class. To be clear, it's not exciting, but the controls are cohesive and satisfying. The adoption of the company's ubiquitous TNGA-K platform has clearly paid dividends for the new Highlander, which now evinces the refinement and stolid composure of a Lexus.

The Highlander's newfound luxuriousness is also evident in its greatly improved interior. Our top-of-the-line Highlander Platinum was outfitted with Glazed Caramel leather upholstery and a huge 12.3-inch touchscreen. Unfortunately, the infotainment interface's graphics aren't as slick as other systems, and there's a permanent floating sidebar that prevents dedicating the entire screen to any given function. Likewise, the interior's bountiful storage cubbies don't excuse the center-console bin's tight opening or the tilting wireless charger that was an obstruction every time we opened the lid. It's like Toyota wanted to offer wireless charging but couldn't think of anywhere else to put the pad.

The Three-Row Hybrid to Buy

Looking past those minor gripes and confronting a couple of fundamental ones, the hybrid Highlander can't tow more than 3500 pounds, and the third row is tight for adults. Our Platinum's as-tested price of $51,068 might raise some eyebrows, too, but forego its 20-inch wheels, 1200-watt JBL stereo system, ventilated front seats, and panoramic sunroof and you can get a well-equipped Highlander XLE hybrid with all-wheel drive for less than $44,000. Settle for even fewer creature comforts, and the front-wheel-drive LE hybrid starts at $40,975.

The three-row mid-size crossover segment is huge, and the best examples have some defining characteristics—the Mazda CX-9 with its upscale interior or the Dodge Durango with its overkill V-8 horsepower. While the non-hybrid Toyota Highlander isn't particularly special, the eco-friendly model is the best three-row hybrid. The only comparable alternative is the recently redesigned Ford Explorer. But its hybrid powertrain is only offered in one trim that starts north of $50,000, and all of its EPA estimates are below 30 mpg. So, if fuel efficiency and value are your top search criteria, the 2020 Highlander Hybrid is the obvious choice.
Source
Old 10-30-20, 04:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

That is interesting. I wonder if has something to do with AWD being a little different from the previous. (But I have no idea if it is different)
Old 10-30-20, 07:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm surprised by some of the acceleration metrics, particularly compared to the 306 hp version that I have in my Highlander. To lose 63 hp but only .3 second to 60 is not bad.
i bet the v6 is far smoother and quieter than the new hybrid.
Old 01-18-21, 12:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default New for 2021 is the sporty and luxurious XSE trim level

What's new for 2021?

The Highlander was completely redesigned last year, but 2021 sees the addition of the XSE trim level that combines the existing XLE's upgraded appointments with unique chassis upgrades to achieve a more engaging driving experience. Those include a stiffer, sport-tuned suspension, a stiffer rear anti-roll bar and reworked steering that should be more responsive. There's also unique styling, including a reshaped grille that juts forward above an enlarged lower air dam that looks an awful lot like the one on the Sienna SE. There's also a widened rear bumper, blacked out exterior trim, carbon-fiber-look interior trim and an exclusive upholstery consisting of black SofTex vinyl with cloth inserts that can be supplanted by optional red leather.

The earthy two-tone color schemes are distinctive, warm and generally inviting. The silver trim that wraps around the control binnacle like a fork is textured to make it look richer and more like actual metal. The wood trim on the dash and center console, be it real or not, is subtle and tasteful. The padded SofTex vinyl that covers much of the dash, doors and center console is pleasant to touch, while the real leather on the seats is buttery soft. All the switchgear is pleasant to touch and operate. The Highlander has above-average interior quality

Standard on most trim levels is an 8-inch touchscreen interface, which is mounted high within easy reach and sight. We like that it's one of the easier systems to use, especially its audio controls, but those seeking a quicker, more modern interface may find it behind the times. Kia, Hyundai and Subaru's systems in particular are superior.

Yet, as the below video demonstrates, the Limited and Platinum can be outfitted with a 10.25-inch unit that is largely similar in terms of its basic look and operation, but gains functionality by adopting a widescreen orientation. The infotainment features it controls are identical to those that come standard on the Limited, including an 11-speaker JBL audio system and integrated navigation (yes, that can still be handy), plus those features standard on every Highlander: Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, Amazon Alexa connectivity, satellite radio, in-car WiFi and Safety Connect emergency services. There are also five standard USB ports (one media, four charging) and the Driver Easy Speak system that broadcasts the driver's voice through the rear speakers.

The Highlander is smaller than most of its competitors on the outside, which makes it slightly more manageable to maneuver and park. Perhaps there's a greater chance of it fitting inside your garage. We're only talking a few inches, though, as the Highlander is still an awfully big vehicle.

Not surprisingly, the Highlander's small exterior size translates into a smaller interior relative the segment. There's just a bit less headroom, which taller teens or adults may notice in the second row when equipped with the panoramic sunroof, and the third-row is noticeably much smaller than those of competitors. Even the Honda Pilot, which has comparable exterior dimensions, can fit average-sized adults in its third row. So too can the larger Telluride, Palisade and Ascent among others. The Highlander’s rearmost row is really a kid-only zone, and even then, they will be less comfortable and possibly a bit claustrophobic back there.

At least the second row offers plenty of space (a bench is standard but you can opt for captain's chairs) and the sliding seats are mounted at a height that allows adults and teens to be comfortable for hours on end. Comfort is excellent up front, too, as the driver seat offers abundant adjustability and easy reaches to the steering wheel and infotainment controls.

Cargo space was expanded with the new model, which can be seen in 2.2 extra cubic feet behind the raised third row. Still, in comparison to the Hyundai Palisade and several other competitors, there's still less space when all the seats are raised. Our can see our in-depth 2020 Toyota Highlander Luggage Test to see just how much luggage you can fit behind the third row. There's less when they're lowered too, but that isn't as much of an issue since you're basically dealing with varying degrees of enormous.

The 2021 Highlander comes standard with a 3.5-liter V6 that produces 295 horsepower and 263 pound-feet of torque. That's one of the greatest outputs in the segment, and considering the Highlander weighs less than many competitors, expect strong acceleration. An eight-speed automatic and front-wheel drive are standard. There are two all-wheel-drive systems available: a basic one that sends power to the rear wheels when extra traction is needed, and a more advanced system for the Limited and Platinum that can also differ the amount of power between the left and right rear wheels to further enhance traction (AKA torque vectoring). Fuel economy differs by trim level and drivetrain, but they're all between 20-21 mpg city, 27-29 mpg highway and 23-24 mpg combined. Fuel economy for the new XSE was not available at the time of this writing.

The 2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid uses a 2.5-liter four-cylinder paired with electric motors that produce a net output of 243 hp. Front-wheel drive is standard, but another electric motor can be added to the rear axle to provide optional all-wheel drive. No three-row crossover comes close to its fuel economy: 35 mpg combined with AWD or 36 mpg with FWD. Those numbers equate to saving $550 per year according to the EPA when comparing the V6 Highlander AWD with the Hybrid AWD.

This is by far the best Highlander to drive yet, and is also one of the most composed vehicles in the segment. It doesn't feel that big behind the wheel, and the chassis and steering work nicely in concert with each other to create a driving experience that feels consistent regardless of whether you're driving the kids to school, on a long highway trip or find yourself on a winding mountain road. It's not an athlete like a Mazda CX-9, and we doubt the new Highlander XSE will turn up the dial that much either, but in comparison to other family haulers, the Highlander nicely balances ride comfort and reassuring handling. There's a Sport mode you can select, but the changes to the steering, throttle and transmission are difficult to detect.

The base V6 is strong, smooth and has a nice snarl when pushed. We're also happy that Toyota got rid of the old Highlander's hopelessly mushy and unresponsive throttle pedal. This one works as it should, as does the notably firm, reassuring brake pedal. That said, we like the Highlander Hybrid better. It feels quicker off the line and is smoother at around-town speeds, even if getting up to highway speed is noisier and takes longer. You get the same above-average ride and handling and, of course, unbeatable fuel economy for a modest price premium that could easily be paid off within three years of gas savings.
Source

Quick Reply: 2020 Highlander