Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 05:58 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Underwelmed myself. I still say they needed to extend the wheelbase and length more. They say it sells very well at a smaller size but I think sales are just indicative of it being a "Toyota Highlander". Doesn't matter what it is, it'll sell.

I find it interesting that the front end is closer to the pre-facelifted version on the current gen than the facelifted one.
Old 04-17-19, 06:42 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Very underwhelming overall. Toyota actually DECREASED power with one of their powertrains in an age of increasing power levels. I dont mind that they increase the size all that much, just means there's definitely a new Sequoia on the way, but gosh couldnt they even slightly improve the engines? If anybody wants a Hybrid V6 Highlander, now is the time to snap it up. I still can't believe they put in a 4cylinder hybrid.
Old 04-17-19, 07:01 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Oy, so many thoughts on this one...

I see it's a little bit longer, but can't find the other dimensions. They lengthened it up by 2.4 inches, so it has a new length of 194.9". Still on the smaller side for 3 row CUVs, but that's okay with me.

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Ha, looks like Toyota took it safe I wish they had done more with the car , but I guess and I mean loyal Toyota buyers and current Highlander lease owners will have no trouble upgrading their current models to this one, the exterior looks more like an update to me then a whole new model, the dash is a Corolla XL to my eyes. Toyota seems to make the cargo room smaller and smaller with their new SUVs they did the same with the RAV4. I think afaik this is the first Toyota with Apple Carplay\Android auto together.
Cargo room is mostly up, not down. An increase of 2.3 cu ft behind the third row is very useful and addresses one of my few complaints with the current Highlander. Cargo room behind the second row is up by 1.7 cu ft, to a new total of 40.6. Odd, however, is the decrease in cargo space with both rear rows folded, now down 10.6 cu ft, to 73.3. That one doesn't concern me, as we never use it in that way anyway, but it's still surprising.

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Underwelmed myself. I still say they needed to extend the wheelbase and length more. They say it sells very well at a smaller size but I think sales are just indicative of it being a "Toyota Highlander". Doesn't matter what it is, it'll sell.

I find it interesting that the front end is closer to the pre-facelifted version on the current gen than the facelifted one.
I think your point, in general, is correct, though I will say that the more compact size of the Highlander is one of the main things that drew us to the current one. We found the Pilot, for example, to just be too big.

Originally Posted by situman
Very underwhelming overall. Toyota actually DECREASED power with one of their powertrains in an age of increasing power levels. I dont mind that they increase the size all that much, just means there's definitely a new Sequoia on the way, but gosh couldnt they even slightly improve the engines? If anybody wants a Hybrid V6 Highlander, now is the time to snap it up. I still can't believe they put in a 4cylinder hybrid.
I'm fine with reusing the V6 as is, but the hybrid move to a 4 cylinder is surprising to me, and a huge disappointment. It is for this reason alone that we will not upgrade to the new model. My wife loves having a hybrid, so there's not talking her out of that. The Highlander hybrid was one of the few Toyota products where you got more power from the hybrid model than the standard model. There is exactly zero chance I am switching us to a 4 cylinder hybrid powertrain in a vehicle capable of carrying 7-8 people.
Old 04-17-19, 07:01 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Hybrid version gets 34 MPG combined, that is incredible for a vehicle of this size.
Old 04-17-19, 07:13 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

A side by side:

Old 04-17-19, 07:14 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sorptd
Hybrid version gets 34 MPG combined, that is incredible for a vehicle of this size.
The power also decreased by close to 70hp! They could have achieved the 34mpg with bigger batteries and direct injection on the V6 hybrid.
Old 04-17-19, 07:16 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDR76
A side by side:
The thing I love to do while driving is to hang my arm out the window. With the newest model, I will have to cut my arms off to do that.
Old 04-17-19, 07:18 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Motor Trend has some good details, including that the rear hatch is now composite, for weight savings.

Also glad to see the 12.3" navigation screen. Good that they retained the dashboard storage shelf. We get a lot of use out of that.

Wheelbase is lengthened, which is good. Hopefully that carries over to the next RX. I am curious if this means the next RX hybrid will also lose its V6. I would think that's a mistake if they go that route.
Old 04-17-19, 07:28 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

The hybrid still gets a reasonable 240 HP combined. They have also retained the excellent 3.5 L V6 & not gone with 2.0T like some of its competition. Lets wait & see how it drives. Either way i think this will continue to outsell majority of its competition, just like the current generation.

Last edited by sorptd; 04-17-19 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-17-19, 08:05 AM
situman
Pole Position

Motor Trend has some good details, including that the rear hatch is now composite, for weight savings.

Also glad to see the 12.3" navigation screen. Good that they retained the dashboard storage shelf. We get a lot of use out of that.

Wheelbase is lengthened, which is good. Hopefully that carries over to the next RX. I am curious if this means the next RX hybrid will also lose its V6. I would think that's a mistake if they go that route.
Originally Posted by sorptd
The hybrid still gets a reasonable 240 HP combined. They have also retained the excellent 3.5 L V6 & not gone with 2.0T like some of its competition. Lets wait & see how it drives. Either way i think this will continue to outsell majority of its competition, just like the current generation.
The Hybrid V6 should be available in the RX to differentiate it from the HL so I'm not too worried but 240hp in a big truck weighing 2 tons is just ridiculous any way you slice it.
Old 04-17-19, 08:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

I actually quite like it. I will seriously consider one.
Old 04-17-19, 08:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I actually quite like it. I will seriously consider one.
I agree. The more I look at it, and the more I read about it, the more I like it. My only disappointment is in the hybrid powertrain, but I don't think you'd go that route anyway. The V6 version is the way to go on this one.
Old 04-17-19, 09:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Me to my godfather

Me: So let me guess, since you've had that car, you probably have never brought it back to the dealer for a warranty repair?

Godfather: No, but I did bring it back once for a tire patch.

This was around 2015, and he bought the RAV4 new in late 2008. I like the way it looks from this thread, and if it does what the 2009 did (uncle bought it from Godfather but doesn't use it much, sits), seems like a winner.

I really think every household needs a uber reliable car, so that they have the opportunity to get a car where uber reliability is not critical and the deciding factor. The uber reliable car is the foundation for other possibilities in the stable.
Old 04-17-19, 09:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Me to my godfather

Me: So let me guess, since you've had that car, you probably have never brought it back to the dealer for a warranty repair?

Godfather: No, but I did bring it back once for a tire patch.

This was around 2015, and he bought the RAV4 new in late 2008. I like the way it looks from this thread, and if it does what the 2009 did (uncle bought it from Godfather but doesn't use it much, sits), seems like a winner.

I really think every household needs a uber reliable car, so that they have the opportunity to get a car where uber reliability is not critical and the deciding factor. The uber reliable car is the foundation for other possibilities in the stable.
Yup. My 2016 has had 2 oil changes and 2 tire rotations, in nearly 3 years. That's it. Not a single warranty repair. Not a squeak or a rattle. Nothing has failed to work as intended. It's not a car that gets your blood pumping, but one that fades into the background and does everything you ask of it, day in and day out, without complaint. We love it and find it to be the perfect family vehicle and road trip companion.

I'm sure this new one will be the same.
Old 04-17-19, 09:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

It's not a car that gets your blood pumping, but one that fades into the background and does everything you ask of it, day in and day out, without complaint. .
This is the Toyota that I have always been attracted to.

Quick Reply: 2020 Highlander