Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Quietly Makes Major V8 Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-19, 07:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
My experience pretty much mirrors what J.D. Power finds. Porsche and Lexus are excellent. Not perfect mind you. Porsche treats you like you purchased something special. I even got a call from a Porsche Corporate asking my opinion. They send you gifts and keep you up to date on racing schedules etc. I traded the 718 GTS only because the LC is a better daily car with better safety. And I just wanted to try an LC! Lexus follows up with me often with surveys. Whereas BMW never seem to care. The dealer never did what they said they would. The car itself was ok, I understand the appeal. But to me the steering in the M550i lacked road feel. Read Automobile Magazine's long term review of it. Don’t get me started on loaner cars. BMW gave me 4 series or previous generation x3’s. I’d take an NX any day over those. It’s just the total ownership experience. You won’t know until you try it.
So your issue is with the dealer not the car itself.
Old 12-20-19, 07:35 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So your issue is with the dealer not the car itself.
That's not what I said. The dealer was a part of it, but not all of it. It was the whole experience. Read Automobile magazine's long term test of the car. It spells out the issues nicely. It's not as comfortable as it should be, it doesn't handle or steer as well as it should. The BMW loaners I had did not handle or steer well either. Now I'm sure a M5 or M4 are better though. Automobile is starting a long term test of the LS 500. It will be interesting to see the results. I had a new appreciation for the comfort of Lexus after owning other cars.
Old 12-20-19, 07:47 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Actually a Tesla's performance depends on it's battery status. It's 0-60 time will slow down the more passes it makes. But it is still very fast! Porsche tried to improve on this with the Taycan.
I really like the Taycan. It's a first gen so range isn't great but it's a great starting point. I just can't swing $180k for it

I'm pretty sure my daily will always be an EV at this point but I wouldn't mind having a TTv8 LCF when my kids move out
Old 12-20-19, 07:53 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
I really like the Taycan. It's a first gen so range isn't great but it's a great starting point. I just can't swing $180k for it

I'm pretty sure my daily will always be an EV at this point but I wouldn't mind having a TTv8 LCF when my kids move out
Yeah, I've read the range isn't so great...especially if you drive it hard. My other car is a Hybrid, so I would certainly consider a Tesla or Taycan. How was the build quality of your model 3 performance? It sounds like you would recommend it? I'd like to see if the Taycan has any first year issues.
Old 12-20-19, 07:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's not what I said. The dealer was a part of it, but not all of it. It was the whole experience. Read Automobile magazine's long term test of the car. It spells out the issues nicely. It's not as comfortable as it should be, it doesn't handle or steer as well as it should. The BMW loaners I had did not handle or steer well either. Now I'm sure a M5 or M4 are better though. Automobile is starting a long term test of the LS 500. It will be interesting to see the results. I had a new appreciation for the comfort of Lexus after owning other cars.
The problem is Lexus vehicles aren’t as comfortable as they should be either. The reason why they don’t “handle or steer as well as they should” is because they’re making them more like a Lexus used to be, which is what’s appealing to me.
Old 12-20-19, 08:03 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Yeah, I've read the range isn't so great...especially if you drive it hard. My other car is a Hybrid, so I would certainly consider a Tesla or Taycan. How was the build quality of your model 3 performance? It sounds like you would recommend it? I'd like to see if the Taycan has any first year issues.
My Tesla build quality is like a GM product. It ain't a BMW or Lexus. It's not bad like some make it out to be but definitely not luxury class. I think the materials are a bit better than typical GM but the build itself isn't as good as the Germans. I recommend it if you like speed and tech. I always recommend taking a test drive of the Performance model and see if you like it. I always maintain that Tesla's are not for everyone. I find that people who value luxury won't find the Tesla all that great. Those who want an M3 for the speed will really like it.
Old 12-20-19, 08:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
My Tesla build quality is like a GM product. It ain't a BMW or Lexus. It's not bad like some make it out to be but definitely not luxury class. I think the materials are a bit better than typical GM but the build itself isn't as good as the Germans. I recommend it if you like speed and tech. I always recommend taking a test drive of the Performance model and see if you like it. I always maintain that Tesla's are not for everyone. I find that people who value luxury won't find the Tesla all that great. Those who want an M3 for the speed will really like it.
Tesla S is quite luxurious
Old 12-20-19, 08:11 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

The problem is Lexus vehicles aren’t as comfortable as they should be either. The reason why they don’t “handle or steer as well as they should” is because they’re making them more like a Lexus used to be, which is what’s appealing to me.
I'd agree with you there. Lexus is trying to be more like BMW used to be...and BMW is trying to be more Lexus like in how they drive. I've read this elsewhere as well. I'm just saying I've been where you were. I got bored with Lexus and tried some other things. I came back to Lexus, but maybe I'm weird! Lexus is like home to me. I like the way everything works on them. Even down to the little things like how the window switches feel.
Old 12-20-19, 08:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’m exactly the same way, they just don’t make the sort of vehicles I want any longer. I want a big comfortable sedan with a V8, a great quality interior and a great ride. Doesnt have to be on the bleeding edge of technology but i would like it to be comparable. Doesn’t exist here.
Old 12-20-19, 08:21 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

I’m exactly the same way, they just don’t make the sort of vehicles I want any longer. I want a big comfortable sedan with a V8, a great quality interior and a great ride. Doesnt have to be on the bleeding edge of technology but i would like it to be comparable. Doesn’t exist here.
Maybe a Genesis G90? The new styling is little odd though to me. And I'd like them to have stand alone dealers. I'll be interested to see their first SUV.
Old 12-20-19, 08:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe a Genesis G90? The new styling is little odd though to me. And I'd like them to have stand alone dealers. I'll be interested to see their first SUV.
G90 is a great choice, but the refresh styling is too over the top for me.
Old 12-20-19, 09:40 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Is it time to lock the thread, it seems pretty darn off topic at this point.
Old 12-20-19, 09:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t know that it really is, it all goes back to what Lexus is doing with their cars and this engine, what application will it have to the sorts of cars they’re making today.
Old 12-20-19, 09:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Well. I wasn’t arguing with you, was discussing. Was just supporting my point that Lexus was not exactly the specs leader back then. They were very very competitive with the GS. It placed 2nd in Car and Driver up against the 540i. That 540i in 98 had 18 less hp, but it edged out the GS in all the performance specs. Both had 5 speed autos. We have a massive library of stuff, and I have a lot of clippings from back then. I remember exactly the era you remember and yes, Lexus was a wonder, their 4.0 cleared 300hp before the Germans E430 and 540i but not before Cadillac. That said, I have no idea what the specs were for the M5 of 98, but I am sure it was a faster sedan than the GS. Anyway, yes Lexus is nowhere near the amg and M, they never really were, past and present. But they do have some solid performance numbers with their Track spec RC and the LC is a stunner. I don’t know if the first GS400 could be a track car, but for Lexus to have a track today is pretty cool from where they once were and what their brand stood for.

And people forget that LS still makes more power than the entry S class in the states. Happy Lexus ditched the tt 4 in the GS and went standard 6, while Mercedes has downsized to an entry 4, for a while there the E class had no V6

Nice talking. Have a good night.
the 1998 m5 came out after the gs400. remember the m cars always come out later than the regular models, so 540 was first and m5 later. i remember reading that when the gs400 came out, the m3 sedan (e36) was the fastest sedan they tested.

i don't agree lexus F is/was never near the amg. the isf was really head to head to the m3 imho. when i shopped in 2008, it was down to isf vs m3 (i eventually got the m3 because i love the driving feel more, but the isf was rly good). and the isf actually continued to get much better every yr, when i test drove the isf in 2012, i said if that's the car they had in 08 i would have been driving the isf instead.

team lexus did raced the gs400 for few years so yes the car was definitely capable. the lc is a stunner and i think it's the only interesting car in the lexus lineup now, but i consider it as a performance cruiser not a real sports car (it drives pretty heavy imho).

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Tesla S is quite luxurious
dunno why tesla is in a v8 discussion (i guess coz' it can be pretty fast) but i really wouldn't consider the model s or model x luxurious. it's not bad but the materials used in that car is just sub-par for a luxury car. i think even the e class has better materials, i consider it mid-level (was closed to getting a model s).
Old 12-20-19, 10:56 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

LOL, I dont understand the insinuation that somehow my experience is not as valid because I lease. Seeing that you bought and then traded early a new BMW and Porsche, you got killed OWNING cars, is that supposed to impress me?,

As for how do I know I will get more? Ive driven the cars, They totally blow Lexus' offerings away. Even if they arent as "reliable" who cares? Still offer a lot more driving enjoyment than comparable cars from Lexus right now.

As for my FCA minivan? Its a much better van than the ancient retreaded Toyota van that I could have had. As much as its a PITA, I don't regret not getting a Sienna. I wish it were an Odyssey...

I have said time and time again I would love to buy another Lexus, but Im just tired of buying the same old thing every time. The brand is not leading or innovating.

Congratulations, you have old cars you "own". I dont want old cars, I want new cars, and I want a new one every 3 years. Hence why I lease because thats the cheapest way to accomplish that goal financially. Has no bearing on my ability to compare my vehicles to competitors vehicles nor does it cloud my experience of having had a certain vehicle.

Thats also why Im not worried about reliability. I dont keep cars long enough to really care about reliability. So Im putting up with the downsides of having a Lexus and not getting to enjoy the upside.

Oh and by the way my perfectly reliable Lexus just came back to me after 4 days in the shop replacing a brake actuator that is a common LS issue they haven't been able to figure out how to solve in the 10 years that particular model was on sale. My LS460 was one of the lasts ones made, and the brake actuator failed like they did on some of the first ones made 10 years ago. Is that impressive? Not really.
And a 2020 NX300 F sport last week, along with a Blazer and a Ranger.....Owning cars is a much better way of getting value out of them. Guessing you have an issue caring for a vehicle properly if you can't keep/scared to keep it longer than 3 years, lol.
Plus, you lose your a$$ on leasing, if you didn't know. It's the biggest rip off in the car industry...pay a bunch of money, have nothing to show for it 3 years later👎.
And you think that brake actuator is a big deal?!? Boy oh boy are you in for a surprise going German! Lol. But honestly, you're arguing like someone here is trying to keep you in the Lexus family......don't see that being the case. If you refuse to buy Lexus again, they won't miss your business. Something also tells me that you'll be back🙂.

V.

Last edited by Vitveet; 12-21-19 at 05:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus Quietly Makes Major V8 Announcement