Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Quietly Makes Major V8 Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-19, 07:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Lexus Quietly Makes Major V8 Announcement

The status of the naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V8 engine currently utilized in the most powerful Lexus models remains in doubt. It is the heart and soul of models like the Lexus LC 500, GS F, and RC F. While we were told that it will stick around for now it'll have to go one day due to ever more stringent emissions standards. But the question is: what will replace it? Today, we have an answer.

Lexus quietly issued a press release confirming the development of a new twin-turbo V8. According to the release, "In 2020, the [Lexus LC racing] team will use what it has learnt through these hard experiences and aim to complete the race without any trouble by adopting a variety of new technologies, including a newly-developed V8 twin-turbo engine destined for use on future road cars such as sports cars."

Source

Old 12-16-19, 08:14 AM
Wallie3145
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope Lexus uses this engine in it's lineup. Put it in every vehicle that it can fit in the bay. Make F Sport mean something.
Old 12-16-19, 08:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

sounds great. of course every vehicle it shows up in will be 6 figures, so small market.
Old 12-16-19, 09:20 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallie3145
I hope Lexus uses this engine in it's lineup. Put it in every vehicle that it can fit in the bay. Make F Sport mean something.
Yeah no kidding. Lexus performance cars are embarrassingly slow these days. Let's hope this solves that.
Old 12-16-19, 10:11 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm all down for a TTV8. Make a super-top-trim LX600 with 500hp
Old 12-16-19, 10:34 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Sounds great until you see the huge premium they are going to charge for it which will turn off most buyers and relegate it to something very rarely seen or bought.

I just wish they had the 5.0 V8 tuned for around 420hp and put it in more cars for not a huge premium.
Old 12-16-19, 11:13 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Sounds great until you see the huge premium they are going to charge for it which will turn off most buyers and relegate it to something very rarely seen or bought.

I just wish they had the 5.0 V8 tuned for around 420hp and put it in more cars for not a huge premium.
Why not just put the TTV6 in and tune it to 400hp and offer it as the high range in their RWD cars. Lexus charges too much for horsepower. My only real gripe about them.
Old 12-16-19, 11:18 AM
evident
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel

Well I hope it's going to be used to compete against the M3's of the world. Would make sense to price it accordingly. Hopefully a detuned version for a higher trim of LS and a truck version for their next generation Land Cruiser, LX, Tundras, Sequoias, etc. maybe they will price it like Mercedes prices the higher engine GLS variants.
Old 12-16-19, 11:58 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
I'm all down for a TTV8. Make a super-top-trim LX600 with 500hp
At that point youll need 600hp or more to compete, 500hp is so plebian
Old 12-16-19, 12:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

in re-reading the release in the source article, i now realize the announcement was that lexus racing will have a ttv8 for 2020 24 hours of nurburgring which could later be used in future vehicles, so we could be looking at a LONG time before this engine becomes available - i'd guess at least 2022 model year. an engine used in racing with top notch engineers and mechanics pouring over it, and of course it's use in a 24 hour race is VERY different than putting it in a road going vehicle and all the certifications it must go through for public sale.

by 2022 we will have more electric sports cars, probably a new model S, and lots of other things... not saying a 2022 lexus ttv8 will be obsolete, but it may not have a huge impact.
Old 12-16-19, 12:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
in re-reading the release in the source article, i now realize the announcement was that lexus racing will have a ttv8 for 2020 24 hours of nurburgring which could later be used in future vehicles, so we could be looking at a LONG time before this engine becomes available - i'd guess at least 2022 model year. an engine used in racing with top notch engineers and mechanics pouring over it, and of course it's use in a 24 hour race is VERY different than putting it in a road going vehicle and all the certifications it must go through for public sale.

by 2022 we will have more electric sports cars, probably a new model S, and lots of other things... not saying a 2022 lexus ttv8 will be obsolete, but it may not have a huge impact.
Its going to be an hour late and a dollar short, as usual.
Old 12-16-19, 12:42 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Likeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 12-16-19, 12:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

sure... but it is engine build for road cars, used for racing, not vice versa... and if it is ready for high rpm racing, it can probably be put into road cars quickly... it is rumored to go into LC-F but also LS and new LX.
Old 12-16-19, 01:00 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Its going to be an hour late and a dollar short, as usual.
Also agreed, and makes me so sad. Great option and still looking forward to it, but probably overshadowed by the fact that the market for this type of engine will be much smaller.

Didn't someone on here state that an LC F probably won't come till 2023 anyway!??..... Oh my, that just hit me at how far away that is. I seriously hope not.
Old 12-16-19, 01:04 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

It’s about time they release something fresh. But knowing Lexus, they’ll detune the engine to laughable numbers.

Quick Reply: Lexus Quietly Makes Major V8 Announcement