Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All new 2021 Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 03:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

what i meant to say was an underbody spare reduces your off road capability it hurts the departure angle of the vehicle
Old 08-12-21, 03:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The point is its the same as the previous version, so it has nothing to do with the IRS.

Your own Tahoe you "thrash around offroad" only has half an inch more clearance lol, somehow you muddle through.
Depends where measured. I think Toyota measures at the transfer case cross member. The IRS definitely is not preferred for off roading. I wonder where Chevy measures the Tahoe

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-12-21 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-12-21, 04:21 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
what i meant to say was an underbody spare reduces your off road capability it hurts the departure angle of the vehicle
I really don't think it does. It's tucked up, angled in there, just like the exhaust outlet.

Toyota isn't gonna engineer a Land Cruiser to where the spare screws up ability, IMO at least.
Old 08-13-21, 08:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Depends where measured. I think Toyota measures at the transfer case cross member. The IRS definitely is not preferred for off roading. I wonder where Chevy measures the Tahoe
Ground clearance is measured at the lowest hanging point in the undercarriage.

And again, who says independent suspension is not preferred for offroading? LOTS of extremelty well regarded offroad vehicles have independent suspension and it actually has benefits in undulating terrain (Hummers are independent suspension). The Tahoe however is not a vehicle designed for offroading.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Toyota isn't gonna engineer a Land Cruiser to where the spare screws up ability, IMO at least.
The LX and GX have SIGNIFICANTLY reduced approach, departure and breakover angles compared to their Toyota counterparts because of the addition of body cladding on the Lexus versions. Why? Because almost nobody takes them offroad so they design them to be better looking at the expense of offroad capability.
Old 08-13-21, 11:54 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

]

The LX and GX have SIGNIFICANTLY reduced approach, departure and breakover angles compared to their Toyota counterparts because of the addition of body cladding on the Lexus versions. Why? Because almost nobody takes them offroad so they design them to be better looking at the expense of offroad capability.
No they don't. LX has better breakover numbers than LC in fact. Zoom in on attached chart. LX has equal departure angle (my gen at least), and better than LC if you set AHC to high. AHC is very handy, one of my favorite things and I'm surprised the LC doesn't get it.

Now, the newest LXs ('20+) have all this hideous cladding that severely limits its capability. Baaad.
Attached Thumbnails All new 2021 Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe-lc.png  
Old 08-13-21, 11:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Ground clearance is measured at the lowest hanging point in the undercarriage.
So where on this Chevrolet is the lowest hanging point where the 7.9" is measured?
Old 08-13-21, 12:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
No they don't. LX has better breakover numbers than LC in fact. Zoom in on attached chart. LX has equal departure angle (my gen at least), and better than LC if you set AHC to high. AHC is very handy, one of my favorite things and I'm surprised the LC doesn't get it.

Now, the newest LXs ('20+) have all this hideous cladding that severely limits its capability. Baaad.
Your gen is old. We’re talking about the current generations.

The point is many carmakers make choices that improve the styling and on road characteristics of SUVs at the expense of off-road capability and that makes perfect sense given what buyers actually do with them.

Extremely few people who spend $95,000 on a new LX care about approach or departure angles, and Lexus knows this which is why they made the design choices they did.
Old 08-13-21, 12:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So where on this Chevrolet is the lowest hanging point where the 7.9" is measured?
Look under one and see
Old 08-13-21, 12:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Look under one and see
You don't know then. Toyota measures fundamentally different than other makers. So do others. Ground clearance is not the same for all manufacturers.
Old 08-13-21, 12:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You don't know then. Toyota measures fundamentally different than other makers. So do others. Ground clearance is not the same for all manufacturers.
Its whatever the lowest hanging item on the undercarriage is. You don't know either so don’t pretend you “caught me” in something

Please provide the documentation that shows every carmaker measures it differently. You're just making this up lol
Old 08-13-21, 01:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Its whatever the lowest hanging item on the undercarriage is. You don't know either so don’t pretend you “caught me” in something

Please provide the documentation that shows every carmaker measures it differently. You're just making this up lol
I didn't catch you at all and not making it up. Toyota has always measured "minimum running ground" clearance, they always mislead. They measure at the transfer case area and exclude all the suspension components, that is not the lowest spot as measured by other brands. I do not know where Chevy measures. Mercedes G wagon measures direction in the center of the vehicle. They all just call it ground clearance. Toyota even used to list it as "minimum running" in all of their manuals

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-13-21 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-13-21, 01:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't catch you at all and not making it up. Toyota has always measured "minimum running ground" clearance, they always mislead. They measure at the transfer case area and exclude all the suspension components, that is not the lowest spot as measured by other brands. I do not know where Chevy measures. Mercedes G wagon measures direction in the center of the vehicle. They all just call it ground clearance. Toyota even used to list it as "minimum running" in all of their manuals
There is a standardized method for measuring ground clearance, and that measurement is the lowest hanging point in the undercarriage.
Old 08-13-21, 03:47 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Your gen is old. We’re talking about the current generations.
I know, I mentioned that. I said the newest LX looks ridiculous with all the cladding that severely cuts into ground clearance. They're throwing everything they've got at it lol. Time for the new one!
Old 08-13-21, 04:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

There is a standardized method for measuring ground clearance, and that measurement is the lowest hanging point in the undercarriage.
There are endless threads all over the place that shows how Toyota misleads their ground clearance claims. There are people who show the measurements. It’s different for everyone. My rear axle on both my 4Rs ride lower than the advertised ground clearance. Current Tundrs does the same stuff. Range Rover measures as “ride height”. I guess we just won’t see eye to eye.

These Toyota’s here do not have their axles that high off the ground. It’s the transfer case location.

In the modern era they have just removed the “running” part.

bringing it back to Tahoe. My guess they measure at the front air dam location.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-13-21 at 04:21 PM.