Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All new 2021 Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 02:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

magnaride and air shocks sounds like an impressive combo... for a HUGE price.
Old 08-11-20, 12:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

doug reviews.

Old 08-11-20, 12:57 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

any one of you here got one of these? after owning a LX? At times I wished LX has more space and my kids are getting bigger... I rented a suburban for a week and it was surprising easy to drive the more space was appreciated.
Old 08-11-20, 01:19 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dougs reviews are getting idiotic. Claims people have wanted a luxury SUV for 10 years. You mean a Denali Yukon or Escalade? Then he says the tahoe will be the first diesel in a full size SUV. Ford Excursion?
Old 08-11-20, 02:39 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
dougs reviews are getting idiotic. Claims people have wanted a luxury SUV for 10 years. You mean a Denali Yukon or Escalade? Then he says the tahoe will be the first diesel in a full size SUV. Ford Excursion?
Yes, he is an idiot. I quit watching him quite a while ago. He doesn't truly know cars. Your examples sum it up perfectly.

Same guy: Land Cruiser=good, I like how it is old school. LX (same thing but with flagship Lexus luxury and cachet for 5k more) =dogs***t waste of money.
Old 08-11-20, 06:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Same guy: Land Cruiser=good, I like how it is old school. LX (same thing but with flagship Lexus luxury and cachet for 5k more) =dogs***t waste of money.
we don't need to make this about doug, but i have no issue with the example you gave. the land cruiser is a toyota and old school is ok, like 4runner as well. for a flagship suv for a luxury brand, the lx is WOEFULLY behind all its competition - a dinosaur wrapped in leather. sure it's a reliable tank but it's simply no longer competitive at all.
Old 08-11-20, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the lx is WOEFULLY behind all its competition - a dinosaur wrapped in leather. sure it's a reliable tank but it's simply no longer competitive at all.
Your opinion respected, but I don't quite agree with that. There is still a place in the American market for reliable tanks.........and, if you want to use the Thread-Topic as an example (Tahoe/Suburban), even unreliable tanks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-11-20 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-12-20, 01:27 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

we don't need to make this about doug, but i have no issue with the example you gave. the land cruiser is a toyota and old school is ok, like 4runner as well. for a flagship suv for a luxury brand, the lx is WOEFULLY behind all its competition - a dinosaur wrapped in leather. sure it's a reliable tank but it's simply no longer competitive at all.
I don't want to get into yet ANOTHER LX discussion, but plenty of people buy these because they know nothing else will come close in reliability. Plenty of people are fine with the fact that it's old. A new 4-Runner/Land Cruiser/LX570 is a dumb purchase new anyway IMO. My friend wanted advice on a new 4 runner, I was like honey just save yourself a bundle and buy a used one, it doesn't matter with a Toyota BOF truck. She bought a 2017, lol. FWIW I get dizzy from the amount of "old" 4 Runner, GX, Land Cruisers, and LXs I see around here.

I could list plenty more examples of why I don't think Doug is legit at all but don't want to veer OT.

I'm interested in an Escalade road test, where the hell is it? Or a Denali one.
Old 08-12-20, 01:42 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Sequoia takes the cake, hasn't been major update since 2008. They made a slight refresh in 2018. The TRD pro sequoia sells at MRSP of 65k, basically hard to find, same with 4runners folks like them a lot. Even they are Dinos- The LX has 2 minor updates and 1 mid where they changed the body, The new purchase isn't as dumb as you think for a LX, people usually buy these cars to keep them for a while.
I don't want to get into yet ANOTHER LX discussion, but plenty of people buy these because they know nothing else will come close in reliability. Plenty of people are fine with the fact that it's old. A new 4-Runner/Land Cruiser/LX570 is a dumb purchase new anyway IMO. My friend wanted advice on a new 4 runner, I was like honey just save yourself a bundle and buy a used one, it doesn't matter with a Toyota BOF truck. She bought a 2017, lol. FWIW I get dizzy from the amount of "old" 4 Runner, GX, Land Cruisers, and LXs I see around here.

I could list plenty more examples of why I don't think Doug is legit at all but don't want to veer OT.

Last edited by UZ214; 08-12-20 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-12-20, 02:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UZ214
Sequoia takes the cake, hasn't been major update since 2008. They made a slight refresh in 2018. The TRD pro sequoia sells at MRSP of 65k, basically hard to find, same with 4runners folks like them a lot. Even they are Dinos- The LX has 2 minor updates and 1 mid where they changed the body, The new purchase isn't as dumb as you think for a LX, people usually buy these cars to keep them for a while.
No offense, I didn't mean it's dumb to buy a new one. It's just that I don't buy new cars, it's like dogs vs. cats. The way I see it is why on earth spend 95k on an LX when you can spend 50k 4 years later for basically the same thing. I'll be driving mine once we get it until I'm dead so it doesn't matter.

And right about Sequoyah too I didn't think of those, but those aren't really "special" trucks to me in the way the other ones are.

4R, LC, LX all have cult status.
Old 08-12-20, 03:21 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

you can buy the same car for 25k after 10 yrs and maybe for 10k after 15yrs, No offense taken, the point I was making is Toyota is making these old/new cars and there is a niche market for it. Sequoia Trd pro included.

No offense, I didn't mean it's dumb to buy a new one. It's just that I don't buy new cars, it's like dogs vs. cats. The way I see it is why on earth spend 95k on an LX when you can spend 50k 4 years later for basically the same thing. I'll be driving mine once we get it until I'm dead so it doesn't matter.

And right about Sequoyah too I didn't think of those, but those aren't really "special" trucks to me in the way the other ones are.

4R, LC, LX all have cult status.
Old 08-12-20, 04:13 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

you can buy the same car for 25k after 10 yrs and maybe for 10k after 15yrs, No offense taken, the point I was making is Toyota is making these old/new cars and there is a niche market for it. Sequoia Trd pro included.
I agree with you, but a Sequoia doesn't align with what I feel are cult Toyota trucks. Not quite the same ring as 4 Runner or LX or LC.

Not that it's not a bulletproof platform or anything.
Old 08-12-20, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You have an interesting point. I couldn't find any published (or filmed) road-tests, either. Must be an unannounced media-embargo on test-driving.

I did, however, find one interesting silent (no audio) video demonstrating the automated-driving features on the road. It's not very informative, but better than nothing.

Old 08-12-20, 07:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

No offense, I didn't mean it's dumb to buy a new one. It's just that I don't buy new cars, it's like dogs vs. cats. The way I see it is why on earth spend 95k on an LX when you can spend 50k 4 years later for basically the same thing.
Because it's 4 years old and you had to wait 4 years. Toyota/Lexus may not change them much, but they do change. And hopefully not but any of us could be gone in 4 years, or 4 minutes for that matter.

Also, what does cats and dogs have to do with it?

you can buy the same car for 25k after 10 yrs and maybe for 10k after 15yrs
Yup, and not interested.
Old 08-13-20, 09:41 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Because it's 4 years old and you had to wait 4 years. Toyota/Lexus may not change them much, but they do change. And hopefully not but any of us could be gone in 4 years, or 4 minutes for that matter.
Makes no difference to me. BEFORE Covid we put maybe 10-12k miles total divided by all 3 cars. I'm fine waiting. We don't even really need an LX at all (we have a truck and don't really drive anywhere) and two nice sedans, one just kind of sucks because it's so small. But we oh we want an LX.

Also, what does cats and dogs have to do with it?
New vs. used, buying vs. leasing. It's just pointless to debate all that any more on here.

For me, bottom line is an automobile is a depreciating asset. Let the first buyer take the hit.

Whatever anyone else does, more power to them.

Quick Reply: All new 2021 Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe