Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Grand Tour: Seamen

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-21, 08:18 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I went looking for that tuk, tuk clip to post it but couldn't find it, just ended up watching a bunch of older Top Gear/Grand Tour video's. It is much funnier when you watch it in context from the whole beginning because it just happens out of nowhere while they are talking/narrating and they don't even comment or pay much attention to it which makes it so much more funny. It does not even look like that guy slows down or tries to avoid the accident, just runs into stuff on the side of the road because he is staring at their cars.
if you're still interested it's in the 2nd part of the burma special about 7½ minutes in, it may not be on a syndicated version though you might have to find the real version of the episode

hammond: "check out the driver of this tuk tuk"
clarkson: "what's he done?"
hammond:" i don't know but he's done a lot of it..."

that show was the best lmao
Old 01-12-21, 09:42 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
if you're still interested it's in the 2nd part of the burma special about 7½ minutes in, it may not be on a syndicated version though you might have to find the real version of the episode

hammond: "check out the driver of this tuk tuk"
clarkson: "what's he done?"
hammond:" i don't know but he's done a lot of it..."

that show was the best lmao
Thanks, I will look for that, don't remember it when I saw it a while ago. Some of the funniest things to people in movies, shows, tv specials often are the smaller things that were not intended to get the big laughs or something that happens really quick and a low key response. There is a scene in Top Gear when they are pulling caravan trailers in cars, James May is in back of one and it totally falls apart and the toilet comes out on a dirt road in the woods, it was hilarious, James May starts cracking up as he watches it. There was also a really funny scene in The Grand Tour when they are racing around a track and talking about pee breaks slowing them down and Jeremy Clarkson just walks into scene and says he solved it or something like that and it shows he wet his jeans and he acts like he doesn't care and explains it was a clever strategy.
Old 01-12-21, 02:15 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Am I the only one who didn’t enjoy this special that much? Yes still entertaining as something to watch but a far cry from the stuff they used to make. They don’t even talk about the cars anymore.

bring back the used car challenges!
Old 01-12-21, 02:41 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
Am I the only one who didn’t enjoy this special that much? Yes still entertaining as something to watch but a far cry from the stuff they used to make. They don’t even talk about the cars anymore.

i've lowered my expectations about these things and that's helped lol... i don't anticipate seeing season series 12 golden era level stuff anymore so now whenever they actually talk about the cars for the little bit they do it's like oh look they didn't forget! although personally i had lots of fun watching that lumbering bentley put through that level of torture but still keep going, and whenever james goes near water it always ends up being funny

the used car challenges were great... find a porsche for £1,500 as well as the subsequent find a £1,500 car that isn't a porsche were both top notch, as well as the find a classic supercar for under £10,000... one of my all time favorites was of course the US special where they had to find a car for less than $1,000 and then got attacked by homophobic alabamans
Old 01-12-21, 02:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

I think the issue is the classic "used car challenges" are a copyright issue with TopGear. So the trips by neccessity have to be a little different.
Old 01-12-21, 05:54 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Can BBC really copyright buying a used car and comparing it? Even if not, they could have given them a budget of say 30K for this challenge. Ans the whole idea of finding the pirate treasure was kind of lame, and Richard Hammonds part was way too scripted in leading them where to go next.

As for this special, I dont even remember hearing James May say "As you can imagine viewers, I've done this properly...."
Old 01-12-21, 06:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

I would say they certainly can compromise those sorts of challenges yes. I think thats why you havent seen them do that.

He did say that before the Caterham was introduced lol
Old 01-12-21, 09:11 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Can BBC really copyright buying a used car and comparing it? Even if not, they could have given them a budget of say 30K for this challenge. Ans the whole idea of finding the pirate treasure was kind of lame, and Richard Hammonds part was way too scripted in leading them where to go next.

As for this special, I dont even remember hearing James May say "As you can imagine viewers, I've done this properly...."
Who knows with lawyers/lawsuits these days, so much greed. They can probably make the case that the used car bit was used by those guys on BBC Top Gear many times before and they came up with it so it is their property and those 3 can't do it anywhere else. I am sure after the 3rd season of GT they lost a lawsuit or were threatened enough that they could not do the Grand Tour Show with the tent, live audience, other elements of the show and were only allowed to do the road trips. It is a shame but you can tell they did not want to quit doing it and were broken up on the final 3rd season episode, they aren't that old(look older then they are), younger then I thought.

Many of those specials are pretty scripted, it is pretty easy to tell many things are set up, part of a script. It was not their best special but still pretty good. I thought the 3rd Season of The Grand Tour was by far the best.
Old 01-13-21, 06:24 AM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Thanks, I will look for that, don't remember it when I saw it a while ago. Some of the funniest things to people in movies, shows, tv specials often are the smaller things that were not intended to get the big laughs or something that happens really quick and a low key response. There is a scene in Top Gear when they are pulling caravan trailers in cars, James May is in back of one and it totally falls apart and the toilet comes out on a dirt road in the woods, it was hilarious, James May starts cracking up as he watches it. There was also a really funny scene in The Grand Tour when they are racing around a track and talking about pee breaks slowing them down and Jeremy Clarkson just walks into scene and says he solved it or something like that and it shows he wet his jeans and he acts like he doesn't care and explains it was a clever strategy.
This past weekend I went back and watched season 10 and some of season 11. Season 11 has one of my favorite used car challenges in it, the old Alfa challenge. That was the origin of the constant running into the back of James.

I didn't enjoy this one either. I liked the previous boat special much more than this one but a co-worker of mine is completely opposite from me, he liked this one a lot more than the boat one.
Old 01-13-21, 09:41 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jezza819
This past weekend I went back and watched season 10 and some of season 11. Season 11 has one of my favorite used car challenges in it, the old Alfa challenge. That was the origin of the constant running into the back of James.
some say... it was actually james' caddy in the 3rd episode of the 9th series