Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla stock on an absolute tear (C'mon haters!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-19, 08:30 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Tesla stock on an absolute tear (C'mon haters!)

52 week high, up 60% this quarter (helps that it was at rock bottom), and best quarter performance since 2013. I say Tesla momentum keeps on going. What do you say?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/18/tesl...week-high.html
Old 12-18-19, 08:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I truly don’t care about Tesla stock. Good for them. Nice cars, great concept. Wish them well. Really awesome Cybertrick. Doubt they will make it. I care more about Toyota to be honest and where they are going in the future
Old 12-18-19, 09:16 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

Not a hater, but if you haven't noticed the market as a whole is on a pretty decent tear. LOTS of things are at a 52-week high. To add some perspective, TSLA is up 16.74% YTD. My diversified portfolio of index funds, which even contains some low-risk municipal bonds, is up 22.32% over the same period. I'll stick with the significantly-less-risky investment with the (so far) significantly higher return.
Old 12-18-19, 09:34 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by geko29
Not a hater, but if you haven't noticed the market as a whole is on a pretty decent tear. LOTS of things are at a 52-week high. To add some perspective, TSLA is up 16.74% YTD. My diversified portfolio of index funds, which even contains some low-risk municipal bonds, is up 22.32% over the same period. I'll stick with the significantly-less-risky investment with the (so far) significantly higher return.
Clearly less risk in a diversified portfolio - I'm not suggesting to bet the farm on any single stock. Just pointing out that things are starting to align for Tesla, especially with what they're doing in China, that could continue propelling the company (and therefore, stock) forward. Some members here were saying Tesla wouldn't make it through the year without filing for bankruptcy. I'm glad they're surviving and thriving as I personally believe it is good for the entire auto segment.
Old 12-18-19, 09:36 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I truly don’t care about Tesla stock. Good for them. Nice cars, great concept. Wish them well. Really awesome Cybertrick. Doubt they will make it. I care more about Toyota to be honest and where they are going in the future
Totally respect that viewpoint, albeit slightly different from mine as I do care about Tesla and I do think they will make it.

A high level question: do you think where Toyota goes in the future is partially, heavily, or not-at-all influenced by Tesla?
Old 12-18-19, 09:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

microsoft/apple both up over 50% ytd
Old 12-18-19, 09:42 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 729 Likes on 457 Posts

TSLA has done well for me. Up over 60% since I bought the stock five months ago.
Old 12-18-19, 09:54 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
True, but not sure I remember reading here, or anywhere else, that either of those companies would be bankrupt by end of 2019.
Old 12-18-19, 09:59 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
True, but not sure I remember reading here, or anywhere else, that either of those companies would be bankrupt by end of 2019.
Yeah. I hear crickets on that front since last quarters earnings The doom and gloom predictions are pretty laughable looking back.
Old 12-18-19, 10:06 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

This is what happens when the so called experts confuse their personal wish fulfillment with expertise. Happens a whole lot on this forum as well.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/18/tesl...-bob-lutz.html
Tesla CEO Elon Musk is a nice guy who doesn’t know how to run a car company, Bob Lutz, former vice chairman of General Motors, told CNBC on Tuesday.

“They will never make money on the Model 3 because the cost is way too high. He’s got 9,000 people in that assembly plant producing less than 150,000 cars a year. The whole thing just doesn’t compute. It’s an automobile company that is headed for the graveyard,” he said on “Closing Bell.”

Lutz’s comments come after news of a criminal probe into Tesla, as well as a new competitor hitting the market in the form of Audi’s new electric car.

“The jaws are tightening and I think in another year or two we’ll see a movie called ‘Who Killed Tesla,’ a conspiracy movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio,” Lutz added.

“Tesla has no … tech advantage, no software advantage, no battery advantage. No advantages whatsoever,” he said.
Remember this is a guy that has been in the industry for decades. How did he get it so wrong? Easy, he wants Tesla to go out of business. The bolded is especially egregious a few minutes of research would show this is completely wrong.

My take: Tesla is still not out of the woods a downturn in the market, people souring on the brand and a few other things could sink the ship. But I'd say the odds of Tesla going under at this point is low. They are one leap in tech away from dominating.
Old 12-18-19, 10:24 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
This is what happens when the so called experts confuse their personal wish fulfillment with expertise. Happens a whole lot on this forum as well.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/18/tesl...-bob-lutz.html

Remember this is a guy that has been in the industry for decades. How did he get it so wrong? Easy, he wants Tesla to go out of business. The bolded is especially egregious a few minutes of research would show this is completely wrong.

My take: Tesla is still not out of the woods a downturn in the market, people souring on the brand and a few other things could sink the ship. But I'd say the odds of Tesla going under at this point is low. They are one leap in tech away from dominating.
The quote you posted is very reminiscent of the "we've always done it this way" approach. None of these huge automakers want Tesla to succeed, and none of them can understand the brand or the leader.

As people like him say Tesla has no advantages, I wonder what they think when they see new manufacturers enter the EV space (think of Porsche recently) who come in at a higher price point with lower mileage range. I also wonder as more competitors enter the EV space with lower range and higher prices if that is also helping drive Tesla's stock higher.
Old 12-18-19, 10:43 AM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Great stock to own but there's no way I'd pay $60K for the subpar build quality found in many of the Model 3.

A used model S sounds like the best deal assuming you want to drive a Tesla. A buddy is buying 70Ds at auction for mid/upper 30s and they seem to have decent build quality since they were built inside.
Old 12-18-19, 11:27 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Up 85% on apple. Made the mistake of selling my Microsoft stock 11-12 months ago when the market has a few massive red days when it was down by 1000+ some of those days if I recall. Shook me up and I was an idiot for selling, regret it almost daily when I see MSFT in green and hitting all time highs.

Been trading Apple for many years, wish I always held and kept adding to my portfolio instead of short term trading it. What I have currently is fair and being up 85% right now is great, so no complaints.

Last edited by premier3IS; 12-18-19 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-18-19, 11:43 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Don't have to care about a brand/make to like or not like a stock. Its more about the potential to make money and the valuations which matter. If a company I don't give 2 F's about is going to have amazing blowout earnings and positive future potential and success, I'd buy into it (after doing research ofcourse). Its about the money in the markets.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yeah. I hear crickets on that front since last quarters earnings The doom and gloom predictions are pretty laughable looking back.
Agreed, they been saying the market will crash for how many years now? The articles I read about it are almost comical, no one can nor will ever predict it or even make a good guess.

They been saying Apple shares are overvalued for many years now. When you look at the chart you'll see just massive uptrends. For the people who listened to the articles/analyst and got scared to invest EVEN a year ago, you have lost the chance to almost DOUBLE your money in a year lol.

Take the media and these 'finance experts' with a grain of salt. Do your own research.

Last edited by premier3IS; 12-18-19 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-18-19, 11:51 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

52 week high, up 60% this quarter (helps that it was at rock bottom), and best quarter performance since 2013. I say Tesla momentum keeps on going. What do you say?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/18/tesl...week-high.html
Tesla is extremely volatile for me to invest in, great company regardless. Its had its dark days that's for sure.

The best way and only way I would trade Tesla is through options, buy short term option contracts a week or 2 prior to earnings. Risky, absolutely but if you get the right call option you could strike gold. I've seen it happen.

Congrats on the 60% gain on it though, its been a wonderful year in the markets!

Quick Reply: Tesla stock on an absolute tear (C'mon haters!)