Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Possible Class Action Suit "Lexus Transmissions" ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-19, 09:09 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Outside of dual-clutch transmissions, or transmissions that are capable of skipping gears, the number of gears is undeniably important. If I am in a 10-speed-auto-equipped vehicle, going 80 MPH, in 10th gear, and I floor the accelerator, it will take some time to get to 3rd or 4th gear. That's what I mean. Obviously if I am going at a lower speed, the mapping comes into play more. One vehicle might be in 6th gear at 40 MPH, whereas another might be in 8th depending on the way the shifts are mapped. So what you say is true, but there's no getting around the number of ratios when I am cruising in top gear, all other things being equal.

edit: For an example, the 6-speed in my IS has no fancy technology to skip gears, yet it is near-instantaneous in how it can go from 6th gear to 3rd for passing on the highway. I've driven an IS 350 RWD with the 8-speed, and it take noticeably longer, even though that 8-speed transmission is more advanced.
The ZF 8 speed in my BMW was by far the fastest shifting transmission I have ever encountered with any car, especially if you used the kickdown switch at the bottom of the pedal. That thing shifted really fast.

At the end of the day, a manufacturer can make a 10 speed shift faster than 5 speed if they want to, regardless of all the extra gears.
Old 12-23-19, 02:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by curf
Does anyone know about a possible class action law suit against Toyota / Lexus regarding transmission problems in the 2018 ~ 2020 RX 350 and several other vehicles. I read a little about it on classaction.org but it did not state that a suit had been filed. Seems they were gathering information to see if they have a case. I want to know more like IF they are moving forward with a class action suit before buying a 2020 RX.
Buy a 4Runner. It still has a 5 speed from 2005
Old 12-23-19, 04:10 PM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Moisture
The major factor would be how the manufacturer tuned the transmission. The 8 speed ZF in BMW's for example is an absolutely excellent unit with zero transmission issues, no gear hunting, very accurate shift points, almost telepathic with the way it choose gears. The EXACT SAME transmission in the Grand Cherokee (tuned by FCA instead of BMW, mind you) has tons and tons of failures. Gives a good transmission a bad name simply because FCA did the software mapping themselves.

Read my above post
From my understanding, the recent problems (since 2014) with the ZF transmissions in Jeep Cherokees (and Acura TLXs) have been 9 speed, not 8 speed transmissions. So not the EXACT SAME transmission.
Old 12-23-19, 04:15 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Moisture
The ZF 8 speed in my BMW was by far the fastest shifting transmission I have ever encountered with any car, especially if you used the kickdown switch at the bottom of the pedal. That thing shifted really fast.

At the end of the day, a manufacturer can make a 10 speed shift faster than 5 speed if they want to, regardless of all the extra gears.
The ZF 8 Speed is legendary. All the performance cars use it because it is so good. The new Supra uses it too. I think even the Kia Stinger 8 speed is better than the Lexus 8 speeds now.
Old 12-23-19, 04:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by chuuck1e
From my understanding, the recent problems (since 2014) with the ZF transmissions in Jeep Cherokees (and Acura TLXs) have been 9 speed, not 8 speed transmissions. So not the EXACT SAME transmission.
Correct, good catch.
Old 12-23-19, 06:09 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chuuck1e
Whoops, I thought we were talking about the GRAND cherokee, which uses the 8 speed (longitudinal transmission)

Just the regular Cherokee uses the transversely mounted 9 speed which is a different design, that's right.

Read some sort of chart a long time ago that said Jeep had 140 transmission failures, and Acura had 10 both with the identical 9 speed. BMW was right at zero but they only use the 8 speed.

Goes to show how important the software tuning is.
Old 12-23-19, 06:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I haven’t heard about trans failures in the Grand Cherokee. I have in the Cherokee with the 9 speed.

I have that 9 speed in my Pacifica, not a fan.
Old 12-23-19, 11:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Your odds of having a reliable vehicle with a new RX are far higher than any other SUV, with or without an unproven transmission problem. Do not avoid such a vehicle based on an online report. If you research most cars, you will find dirt on all of them. The RX is solid.

Old 12-24-19, 09:17 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

It's Christmas Eve, and I apologize in advance if my comment sounds like a "holier-than-thou" attitude, but shifting is so 20th-century to me after having driven the planetary-gear-set shiftless 450h. Just like the Tesla, a smooth application of power from standing still. And no steel cones or belts like the old-fashioned CVT transmissions that had a rubber-band effect.

So, first, I doubt very much that Lexus has a transmission problem, they do world-class engineering and such issues would be showing up frequently on these boards. Secondly, you might want to take a brief test drive in the 450h to verify you really do want a shifting transmission.

And a Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-24-19, 09:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I personally don’t like CVTs, and that includes Lexus hybrids. I’d much rather have shifts.
Old 12-24-19, 09:44 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I personally don’t like CVTs, and that includes Lexus hybrids. I’d much rather have shifts.
It's not like traditional CVTs though. This is a great explanation of how it works.

Old 12-24-19, 09:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I know how they work, I just don’t like how they drive. I don’t like the droning with acceleration.
Old 12-24-19, 09:49 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I know how they work, I just don’t like how they drive. I don’t like the droning with acceleration.
Just put it on the fake ratio mode and it will mimic gears
Old 12-24-19, 09:54 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's not like traditional CVTs though. This is a great explanation of how it works.

https://youtu.be/162BWwkcy5U
The fundamental concept of a CVT is good, just without the terrible associated reliability. I haven't watched the video, but if this DCVT does not have that belt, then its probably good. I know Toyota's CVT is reliable.

My biggest problem is the starting gear ratio. Way too much lag off the line but otherwise it works well once you are moving.

My friend has a 2007 Altima and the way the transmission kept the RPM's at 5000rpm, even though the redline is 6000RPM and he was going full throttle is excellent. It felt fast. I remember we raced a brand nex Lexus is250 back in the day and the Lexus couldn't pass this 130K miles altima for the life of it. large 2.5L 4 cylinder works better than a small displacement 2.5L V6.

CVT's can easily be destroyed from sustained high RPM use though.
Old 12-24-19, 10:35 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The 4th gen RX forum has a pretty substantial thread on the transmission issues. While failure isnt really a common problem, transmission behavior and acoustics seem to be the primary complaints. To compound that problem, Lexus techs, seem to dismiss the issues as "normal behavior" which it might very well be or apply some TSBs which have varying levels of success to end customers.

Having said that, Lexus and the toyota group as a whole has some interesting issues with any vehicle that has gone with anything above 6 speeds and rides on the old platforms.

LX 3rd gen refresh documented issues via TSBs
RX 3rd gen F-sport (hunting of gears)
RX 4th gen hesitation TSBs

The GA- platform vehicles have no documented issues even with more then 6 speeds.

In layman terms, its a combo of factors such as physical specs and transmission mapping.

---------------------------
Due note that this transmission is not toyota only, as this is also used in the current Volvo lineup

Last edited by coolsaber; 12-25-19 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Possible Class Action Suit "Lexus Transmissions" ???