Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

RAV4 manufacturing process

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-19, 12:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Default RAV4 manufacturing process

Here is an interesting look at the way Toyota builds.

Wow. Fascinating to see the new exoskeleton they use.

​​​​​​

Worth a look if you like cars.
Old 12-25-19, 10:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Toyota does build reliable and (usually) smooth-operating powertrains.....some of the best in the business, which is why I don't agree with those here on Car Chat who constantly complain that Toyota and Lexus are "behind" the times and don't offer so-called "up-to-date" drivetrains. I don't care if it's up to date or not, as long as it is smooth-running, refined, reasonably economical with fuel, and stays out of the repair shop. Toyota (and especially Lexus) also does paint work with better-than-average quality, although the entire industry (perhaps Tesla excepted?) is much better with paint-jobs now than in the past.

But other parts of that video are seriously misleading. Those lightweight parts and sheet-metal that Toyota likes to flout as contributing to gas mileage and acceleration are just that...lightweight. And you notice it in tinny body panels, interior hardware, and trim. One notices definitely more solid hardware inside today's Korean-designed vehicles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-25-19 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-25-19, 10:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One notices definitely more solid hardware inside today's Korean-designed vehicles.
Hyundai uses the same lightweight stuff. I remember you complaining about the material solidarity in the Palisade or Telluride. The new Highlander is heavier than the Palisade and has a smaller engine, so just maybe Hyundai uses cheaper materials. You never thought of that?

Anyways, this thread is not a Hyundai thread, it about the manufacturing of this particular Toyota model.

You are correct. Toyota does make more reliable models than Hyundai or KIA.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-25-19 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-25-19, 01:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Hyundai uses the same lightweight stuff.
No, not inside. There is a noticeable difference, at least to me, particularly in hardware.

I remember you complaining about the material solidarity in the Palisade or Telluride. The new Highlander is heavier than the Palisade and has a smaller engine, so just maybe Hyundai uses cheaper materials. You never thought of that?
You misquoted me. I said, at the time, that, IMO, the Palisade and Telluride, though with excellent fit/finis, used some hardware and parts inside that felt a little less-solid than on previous Kia and Hyundai products. But they still felt, IMO at least, more solid than on comparable Toyotas.

You are correct. Toyota does make more reliable models than Hyundai or KIA.
Only in the drivetrain...and then, not always so.
Old 12-25-19, 02:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Only in the drivetrain...and then, not always so.
Only person I know that has ever had an engine replaced was my brother and his Hyundai. Anyways we are off topic talking about Hyundai. Lol.
Old 12-25-19, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Only person I know that has ever had an engine replaced was my brother and his Hyundai.

Did he bother to check the oil? Can't speak for him, but you seem to be one of those who doesn't believe in regularly opening one's hood.

Anyways we are off topic talking about Hyundai. Lol.
Off topic? Only to an extent. Low oil levels will damage or destroy any engine, not just those in RAV-4s.
Old 12-25-19, 06:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Did he bother to check the oil? Can't speak for him, but you seem to be one of those who doesn't believe in regularly opening one's hood.
Factory defect.

https://www.hyundaiengineinfo.ca/

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-26-19 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-26-19, 07:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

But other parts of that video are seriously misleading. Those lightweight parts and sheet-metal that Toyota likes to flout as contributing to gas mileage and acceleration are just that...lightweight. And you notice it in tinny body panels, interior hardware, and trim. One notices definitely more solid hardware inside today's Korean-designed vehicles.
You mean that you do not see them using aluminium parts as a positive? It is 2019, and it is nice that aluminium is going into mainstream vehicles.
Old 12-26-19, 09:31 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

There is nothing in that video that is remarkable or new just about every modern car is made the same way. Granted Toyota does most everything better from design to testing to assembly etc.
Old 12-26-19, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
You mean that you do not see them using aluminium parts as a positive? It is 2019, and it is nice that aluminium is going into mainstream vehicles.
No, a lot more than that. I'm talking about thin plastic interior parts that, IMO, are sub-par in their flimsiness. And most interiors, today, to not contain aluminum parts.

I agree that aluminum does make sense for some parts.....particularly the hood, if the vehicle has a manual prop-rod. Some steel hoods can be quite heavy.
Old 12-26-19, 04:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

No, a lot more than that. I'm talking about thin plastic interior parts that, IMO, are sub-par in their flimsiness. And most interiors, today, to not contain aluminum parts.

I agree that aluminum does make sense for some parts.....particularly the hood, if the vehicle has a manual prop-rod. Some steel hoods can be quite heavy.
video was talking about aluminium parts, not sure what does it have to do with thin plastics. Have you been in new 2020 Rav4? Not much thin plastic around, feels substantially better built than Korean vehicles in same class.
Old 12-26-19, 05:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
video was talking about aluminium parts, not sure what does it have to do with thin plastics. Have you been in new 2020 Rav4? Not much thin plastic around, feels substantially better built than Korean vehicles in same class.
Yes, I have been in the latest RAV-4.....did a full-review. Wasn't impressed at all with the materials inside, although the basic styling, inside and out, was an improvement on the previous version. As was expected, the upper-level interiors were somewhat better than base versions.

I strongly (very strongly) disagree that it feels better than comparable Korean SUVs...particularly the solid-as-a-rock Kia Sportage.
Old 12-27-19, 01:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I strongly (very strongly) disagree that it feels better than comparable Korean SUVs...particularly the solid-as-a-rock Kia Sportage.
It is pretty sad to see you keep pushing your Korean agenda.....here is a pathetic thing to see (but all makes can have these issues) on a KIA Dealership Website. https://www.gayfamilykia.com/blogs/1...erior-rattles/ Basically implying that anyone who buys a KIA will eventually have dash rattles. I think every manufacturer is competitive with each others interiors in similar or different ways. KIA or Hyundai are not appealing to me, but they work for other people which is great.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-27-19 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-27-19, 02:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

I was in a Kia Sportage recently I found nothing about the car remarkable in fact I found it cheapish and forgettable.
Old 12-27-19, 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It is pretty sad to see you keep pushing your Korean agenda.....here is a pathetic thing to see (but all makes can have these issues) on a KIA Dealership Website. https://www.gayfamilykia.com/blogs/1...erior-rattles/ Basically implying that anyone who buys a KIA will eventually have dash rattles.
That's not what I was implying (or non-implying) at all. I simply told it like it is.....the Koreans make a solid vehicle today, at a reasonable price. Is it the best?...it's good for the money; not necessarily the best on the market. The fact that Kia ranks as high as it does in IQS (Initial Quality) from both CR and J.D. Power also means something.

I think every manufacturer is competitive with each others interiors in similar or different ways. KIA or Hyundai are not appealing to me, but they work for other people which is great.
If they aren't appealing to you, fine, I can understand that, but don't make the mistake of thinking this is the 1990s and they still are second-rate (or even third-rate) products. Those days are long gone.

Quick Reply: RAV4 manufacturing process