Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla insurance

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 01:09 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I gave you the forum where this is discussed in detail along with the rates a lot of people get. Model 3s on the whole are comparable to other luxury cars in their segment. Do your own research or call your agent and you'll have your answer.
Old 12-26-19, 01:12 PM
Zammer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your information was helpful. I agree with your note at the end of it.
Old 12-26-19, 01:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Zammer
As far as I can determine, insurers don't consider hp or 0-60 time in setting rates. Cars with huge power may cost more to insure because they are generally expensive cars. The high premiums for a new Rolls aren't based on its power, which is not that great.
exactly right. Insurance is based on how 'likely' a car is to be involved in an accident, cost of repairs, the driver(s) 'attributes' (relative to 'averages'), the location, and other factors.

some very fast cars don't cost a lot to insure because they're typically weekend cars and are driven very little by relatively 'sensible' drivers.
Old 12-27-19, 12:20 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
exactly right. Insurance is based on how 'likely' a car is to be involved in an accident, cost of repairs, the driver(s) 'attributes' (relative to 'averages'), the location, and other factors.

some very fast cars don't cost a lot to insure because they're typically weekend cars and are driven very little by relatively 'sensible' drivers.
There's certainly a correlation between power and likelihood of accident. It takes more concentration to react to an accident-causing obstacle if you're accelerating and generally traveling more quickly. Moreover, cars that are more "fun" will probably goad their drivers into driving quickly more often.

I'm not sure where the crazy numbers that some are reporting have come from either. I actually understand the current rates being comparable with other luxury vehicles and don't see anything out of place.
Old 12-27-19, 12:59 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Insurance has so many factors to account for. Age, driving history, location you live in, auto thefts and claims processed for it in your zip code, specifications of vehicle (especially safety features), type of vehicle, mileage per year... I mean the list goes on and on...

Everyone will have different rates, the averages could be skewed way off in the charts posted. Take it with a grain of salt, if you really want to know just check the insurance quote online for yourself.

@EZZ is a prime example of this, his insurance barely went up on his Model 3 by $100 a year. While we don't know his history, it just proves my point that the averages are useless information.

Old 12-27-19, 01:08 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

$4k a year for a Model S? That's what, $350/mo for insurance? Holy god.
Old 12-27-19, 02:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
$4k a year for a Model S? That's what, $350/mo for insurance? Holy god.
It’s pretty crazy.
Old 12-27-19, 02:57 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

None of my friends who own Model S pay anywhere near that.
Old 12-27-19, 03:10 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
None of my friends who own Model S pay anywhere near that.
Not calling them liars, but statistics don't lie.

And I'm not lumping you into this category but there are Tesla fans who won't say one negative thing about them, even if the door is misaligned by two inches.
Old 12-27-19, 03:13 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 241 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by premier3IS
Insurance has so many factors to account for. Age, driving history, location you live in, auto thefts and claims processed for it in your zip code, specifications of vehicle (especially safety features), type of vehicle, mileage per year... I mean the list goes on and on...

Everyone will have different rates, the averages could be skewed way off in the charts posted. Take it with a grain of salt, if you really want to know just check the insurance quote online for yourself.

@EZZ is a prime example of this, his insurance barely went up on his Model 3 by $100 a year. While we don't know his history, it just proves my point that the averages are useless information.
I follow the Tesla boards and know several people who own Teslas, and his experience isn't typical. A Model S was going to be $3000 a year for me, and that was before my son got his restricted license. I can't imagine what it would be now. Model 3 was going to be $1900 a year. My coworker has 2 Model 3s and he said his insurance went through the roof. Wouldn't tell me how much, but said it was bad. He said it basically negated all his fuel savings, but he didn't really care because he loved the cars.
Old 12-27-19, 03:14 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

And I'm not lumping you into this category but there are Tesla fans who won't say one negative thing about them, even if the door is misaligned by two inches.
I have panels that aren't aligned I also have a rattle I can't get rid of. It's not a Lexus but they don't really compete market wise. My wife may get a highlander or RX next. It's what she likes.
Old 12-27-19, 03:18 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 241 Likes on 177 Posts

Yeah, I'd have to see some evidence, like a printout that shows the coverages and the costs. Everyone I talked too was way higher that I expected and I should qualify for the best rates. Musk even started his own insurance company for Tesla due to the high rates.
Old 12-27-19, 03:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
. Musk even started his own insurance company for Tesla due to the high rates.
I never thought of it from this angle.
Old 12-27-19, 03:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Part of the high tesla insurance (despite EZZ experience) is the 'unknown' to insurance companies. Teslas are still rare on the road, with not a load of track record. They've also proven to be ridiculously expensive to repair, and take a long time so if rental coverage is included, it means someone's going to max that out too.

i've not looking into tesla rates personally, but it would definitely be a factor to consider.
Old 12-27-19, 04:18 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
I have panels that aren't aligned I also have a rattle I can't get rid of. It's not a Lexus but they don't really compete market wise. My wife may get a highlander or RX next. It's what she likes.
Lol I'd get the Tesla insurance and file a claim for the bad assembly . Say someone nudged you and caused the misaligned panel.

(I'm not condoning insurance fraud as this is a joke...)

Quick Reply: Tesla insurance