Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Cost of Going Upscale: Mazda Mulls Its Compact Car Strategy

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 08:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Default The Cost of Going Upscale: Mazda Mulls Its Compact Car Strategy

The Cost of Going Upscale: Mazda Mulls Its Compact Car Strategy

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-car-strategy/

One of the bigger stories this year, albeit one that occurred mostly in the background of splashier news, concerned a fun-to-drive compact car that did pretty well for itself over the past decade. For 2019, that car got a makeover and a push upmarket, aligning it more closely with other models in the lineup. That car was the Mazda 3 — and the 2019 model year brought big changes not only to its content, but also its price.

Gone was the American-market’s base 2.0-liter engine and most of the model’s manual transmission availability, and these omissions played an obvious role in inflating the model’s entry price by roughly three grand. Looking back on the sales decline that marked the new 3’s entry to the market, Mazda’s leadership is expressing regret.

Speaking to Automotive News, Mazda CEO Akira Marumoto’s Christmas wish seems to be the ability to turn back the clock.

“The price jump for the entry-level could have been too large — that is something we are reflecting on right now,” he said. “The people in that market are pretty price-conscious.”

Despite greater standard content, two bodystyles, and the (new) option of all-wheel drive, Mazda 3 sales dived in the U.S., failing to recover in the months following its introduction. While Mazda stands to earn more profit for each model sold, the reduction in volume is significant and cannot be ignored. At the halfway point in the year, 3 sales were down 20.3 percent. Through November, volume declined by 19.9 percent.

As it seeks to stand apart from the likes of Honda and Toyota, Mazda’s premium strategy has hit a snag in the 3. While the model’s updated Kodo design language and fairly ritzy cabin is capable of turning heads, not enough buyers are shelling out the boosted bucks for one.

“I asked everyone to achieve three things. We’ve increased the pricing slightly while decreasing incentives. But our sales volume hasn’t reached the targeted level,” Marumoto said. “So, we achieved only two of the three.”

Mazda’s problem isn’t solely the result of its pricing strategy. As the compact car segment dwindles, the ability of any automaker to besting the previous year’s standing is growing ever more difficult to achieve.

In Canada, Mazda opted for a different strategy. The base 2.0L was retained, as was the manual transmission on several low-tier trims. Entry price remained much the same as before. Year-to-date sales through November? Down 19.7 percent.

It’s something of a Catch-22 for Mazda. If the company stayed the previous course and positioned the 3 as a sporty also-ran challenger to the Civic and Corolla, the far greater volume and visibility of its rivals could relegate it to the back of the pack. Do something different by moving forward with a premium strategy, and the same could occur.

And Mazda yearns to be different, as it’s part of the brand’s appeal.

“We can be unique, in terms of product, technology, pricing and customer experience. If we don’t do that and do the same thing as big players, I’m afraid it will be hard for Mazda to survive,” the CEO remarked, adding that the 2020 model year brought additional content to low-end 3s in a bid to boost appeal.

Without reducing the model’s entry price, Marumoto said, “We’re going to add easy-to-understand value.”
Old 12-26-19, 08:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I test drove one when we were looking to replace our Matrix. Nice car....iI liked the hatch..but not my cup of tea
Old 12-27-19, 07:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

That's a nice looking compact sedan. The soul red in the picture sets it off nicely. Too bad that Mazda is in this tough situation. If it wasn't for the CX-5 they'd be in real trouble here in the U.S.
Old 12-27-19, 08:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
That's a nice looking compact sedan. The soul red in the picture sets it off nicely.
Mazda really does that eye-popping (extra cost) red paint job well. One look at it, close up, easily shows you why it costs extra. It is as stunning, if not more so, than the Lexus Matador Red that was such a standout for years.
Old 12-27-19, 08:26 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

For my next car, I'm strongly debating whether I should move a bit downmarket (two possibilities - one, I get something similar to what I have now, or two, I get something cheaper, pay it off, and then save for something better), and the new Mazda3 is very much in the running. CPO, the new ones, even well-equipped with under 10k miles, are under $25k easily. For that price, the interior looks amazing. And, having just driven a rental Jetta, I can say interior quality matters a lot to me. That car is the polar opposite of the Mazda, where the real value of the Jetta is the space efficiency for the money, where cost-cutting on interior trimmings is obvious thanks to its abundance of the black scratchy stuff. Every Mazda3 example I've looked at online, however, just has this upscale look with very little obviously-cheap plastic. So, for me, the Mazda3 is appealing, but having been used to an IS, I am probably an outlier customer.
Old 12-27-19, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
For my next car, I'm strongly debating whether I should move a bit downmarket (two possibilities - one, I get something similar to what I have now, or two, I get something cheaper, pay it off, and then save for something better), and the new Mazda3 is very much in the running. CPO, the new ones, even well-equipped with under 10k miles, are under $25k easily. For that price, the interior looks amazing. And, having just driven a rental Jetta, I can say interior quality matters a lot to me. That car is the polar opposite of the Mazda, where the real value of the Jetta is the space efficiency for the money, where cost-cutting on interior trimmings is obvious thanks to its abundance of the black scratchy stuff. Every Mazda3 example I've looked at online, however, just has this upscale look with very little obviously-cheap plastic. So, for me, the Mazda3 is appealing, but having been used to an IS, I am probably an outlier customer.

If you can spend a little more, you'd probably like the Mazda6's interior even more (I recently reviewed one), particularly the models with the cloth seats, which are soft, well-padded, and have a cushy feeling that has been missing from a lot of vehicles for decades. Too many seats today sacrifice comfort for sport-orientation and firmness/support.
Old 12-27-19, 09:13 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you can spend a little more, you'd probably like the Mazda6's interior even more (I recently reviewed one), particularly the models with the cloth seats, which are soft, well-padded, and have a cushy feeling that has been missing from a lot of vehicles for decades. Too many seats today sacrifice comfort for sport-orientation and firmness/support.
Good to know. I'm planning to take a look at both, also considering cars like the GTI, Elantra GT (specifically the Sport or N-Line), among others. Don't want to have too many options by including midsize cars, but the 6 isn't actually too big...
Old 12-27-19, 04:43 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Mazda really does that eye-popping (extra cost) red paint job well. One look at it, close up, easily shows you why it costs extra. It is as stunning, if not more so, than the Lexus Matador Red that was such a standout for years.
Soul Red is very nice & is about $500 option depending on the size of the Mazda you choose.
Old 12-27-19, 04:54 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I test drove one when we were looking to replace our Matrix. Nice car....iI liked the hatch..but not my cup of tea
They all drive very sporty & the last 2 years they all had a big rotary **** on the console to control stereo, & navi. You have to go thru many steps which is annoying but once you get used to it it's not so bad & you can do everything without taking your eyes off the road.
I could not help but observe in CA every Mazda 3 I saw would try tp pass me no matter what I was driving or where. Zoom-Zoom!
Old 12-27-19, 05:08 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very unfortunate for Mazda, but for discerning buyers looking for sporty sedans and crossovers with great styling - these are the vehicles to buy. Mazda's styling is easily the most well rounded vs the bizarre overdone nonsense that you see with a lot of mass market car manufacturers. Interior materials and craftsmanship: again Mazda does very well here.

The moral of the story is that, just because a product doesn't sell in large volumes does not mean that it is not good. In fact, you buy a 3, 6 or CX5 because you are not looking for an appliance.
Old 12-27-19, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
The moral of the story is that, just because a product doesn't sell in large volumes does not mean that it is not good.
Yes, indeed.....boy, have you got that one correct.
Old 12-27-19, 05:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, indeed.....boy, have you got that one correct.
This car needs to sell in large volumes to be successful.
Originally Posted by Byprodrive
They all drive very sporty & the last 2 years they all had a big rotary **** on the console to control stereo, & navi. You have to go thru many steps which is annoying but once you get used to it it's not so bad & you can do everything without taking your eyes off the road.
I could not help but observe in CA every Mazda 3 I saw would try tp pass me no matter what I was driving or where. Zoom-Zoom!
Yeah. Was very sporty. Just not my thing.
Old 12-27-19, 05:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This car needs to sell in large volumes to be successful.
Re-read what he said. Excellent vehicles do not always sell well. That does not change or negate their excellence. I can think of several superb sedans that sat in showrooms and went essentially nowhere...among them the VW Phaeton, Kia K900, Hyundai Azera, and the latest Continental.

Old 12-27-19, 06:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Excellent vehicles do not always sell well.l.
I disagree
Perhaps the new Mazda 3 is not superb or excellentt IMO. I certainly do not think it is. Good-Very Good perhaps. There is so much more than just driving impressions to achieve product excellence

...among them the VW Phaeton, Kia K900, Hyundai Azera, and the latest Continental l.
None of these vehicles are excellent IMO. A KIA Telluride right now has all the hallmarks of product excellence. A Dodge RAM would qualify too. A Tesla 3.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-27-19 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-27-19, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I disagree
Perhaps the new Mazda 3 is not excellent IMO. I certainly do not think it is. Good-Very Good perhaps. There is so much more than just driving impressions to achieve product excellence
Well, of course, your opinion respected, but most reviewers and auto-publications have rated the Mazda3 considerably higher than the general public does, which, granted, tends to gravitate towards Corollas and Civics.

None of these vehicles are excellent IMO. A KIA Telluride right now has all the hallmarks of product excellence. A Dodge RAM would qualify too. A Tesla 3.
Yes, the Telluride and Palisade are excellent products....and it looks like they are also going to sell quite well. The Ram excels in comfort, but has proven unreliable. The Model 3? Yes, it is indeed selling (in my area, probably better than any other current sedan right now), but, aside from a good battery-range by BEV standards, IMO it is not that great of a product (and I've sampled one). I consider it an overpowered fad, with a ridiculous dash-design, that has so much torque in the engine that is borderline-hazerdous for careless or inattentive drivers.

Quick Reply: The Cost of Going Upscale: Mazda Mulls Its Compact Car Strategy