Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How will Brexit affect the British auto industry?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-20, 12:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

^^^^ Though I don't consider myself an expert on the subject (I don't live in Britain, and don't regularly speak with Britons), I tend to agree with Lexus2000 on this one. It was mainly older working-class Britons (some of whom work in the auto industry) who supported Brexit. I don't think we would have seen the level of support it got if leaving the EU was not ultimately better for the British auto industry in the long run. But not even Brexit will address one of the biggest problems....the fact that the industry is owned almost totally by corporations from other countries. We're not likely to see a return to the British Leyland days anytime soon.
Old 01-03-20, 03:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It was mainly older working-class Britons (some of whom work in the auto industry) who supported Brexit.
don't you believe it. it was also younger people who have struggled to get work because they believe the free in-flow of EU persons as well as no restrictions on refugees hurts the labor market and lowers wages. whether that's actually true is hard to say. i certainly know this... a TON of people in hospitality were not born in britain for sure!

my family AND my friends there were pretty evenly split with pro-brexit and pro-remain (in EU). i happened to be there the day of the vote in 2016 and was there right before this recent election where my relatives and friends were still passionate about it but all VERY irritated it hadn't been resolved one way or another.

Old 01-03-20, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
don't you believe it. it was also younger people who have struggled to get work because they believe the free in-flow of EU persons as well as no restrictions on refugees hurts the labor market and lowers wages. whether that's actually true is hard to say. i certainly know this... a TON of people in hospitality were not born in britain for sure!

my family AND my friends there were pretty evenly split with pro-brexit and pro-remain (in EU). i happened to be there the day of the vote in 2016 and was there right before this recent election where my relatives and friends were still passionate about it but all VERY irritated it hadn't been resolved one way or another.

Well, if you, as a moderator, want to bring up the British elections, that's your business. We, as posters, have been told to asked electoral politics, and I'm going to abide by that request. My comments are strictly on the industry itself...and the workers in the industry.
Old 01-03-20, 05:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Was A borderline topic at best to start and continues to have to many political responses.