Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-20, 08:26 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,910 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
For me it was the right car with the wrong engine. It's one of the best looking Lexus' I've seen in a long time but the engine is just so long in the tooth even though it is a good engine. If you are going to build something so fresh and new, why not include a fresh and new engine too, even a nicely tuned LS500 engine would have been nice.
This is odd to see considering most people say the engine is the best part of the LC 500.

And you see how the LC 500h is being received... (not as well).
Old 01-08-20, 08:55 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
This is odd to see considering most people say the engine is the best part of the LC 500.
I would agree. Every review I've seen have gushed about how fantastic the engine/transmission combination is, even moreso than the ostensibly same combination in the RC-F.
Old 01-08-20, 08:59 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I would agree. Every review I've seen have gushed about how fantastic the engine/transmission combination is, even moreso than the ostensibly same combination in the RC-F.
That’s why I said for me. I would actually be a buyer for this car and that is the reason I wouldn’t pay that much for the car. It doesn’t perform for the price tag and can’t be tuned to perform with the n/a engine.
Old 01-08-20, 09:37 AM
MadamGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I love my 2018 GX as well. I just look away from.the fuel pump and plead ignorance whenever I fill it up. The thing is just so full of personality unlike the digital cars these days.
Ditto. Like Jill said, losing the V8 might be a bad move; I agree. Don’t mess with the V8 and let us plead ignorance on the daily with the estimated MPG’s.
Old 01-08-20, 09:42 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

That’s why I said for me. I would actually be a buyer for this car and that is the reason I wouldn’t pay that much for the car. It doesn’t perform for the price tag and can’t be tuned to perform with the n/a engine.
Well, you're used to your GTR so the LC500 is pretty slow relatively. For $100k car, I agree that its a slowpoke but its buyers are probably just interested in the looks and ride quality.
Old 01-08-20, 10:30 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Well, you're used to your GTR so the LC500 is pretty slow relatively. For $100k car, I agree that its a slowpoke but its buyers are probably just interested in the looks and ride quality.
True, LC is a touring car nee sporting-luxury car, more about ride & refinement than the break neck 0-60 pace of sports coupe like Nissan GT-R.
Old 01-08-20, 10:39 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Originally Posted by EZZ
Originally Posted by peteharvey
True, LC is a touring car nee sporting-luxury car, more about ride & refinement than the break neck 0-60 pace of sports coupe like Nissan GT-R.
GT or Touring cars dont have to be slow. At $100k, I expect the car to perform on par with it's competitors, at a minimum. The engine is great, but power is peaky relative to even the Mustang's 5L V8, for some strange reason. Most reviewers gush about the sound and the linear nature of the NA V8, but overall performance wise, they try hard to ignore that it just can't keep up.
Old 01-08-20, 10:55 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I don't expect it to perform like a GTR or anything like that but when you pay up to $100k for a vehicle like the LC500, I would hope it would be faster than some SUV's out there. It's on par or even slower than my SRT Durango. If it is going to be that slow, then it should at least get better gas mileage.
Old 01-08-20, 10:55 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
GT or Touring cars dont have to be slow. At $100k, I expect the car to perform on par with it's competitors, at a minimum. The engine is great, but power is peaky relative to even the Mustang's 5L V8, for some strange reason. Most reviewers gush about the sound and the linear nature of the NA V8, but overall performance wise, they try hard to ignore that it just can't keep up.
And some people gush about the performance of the Germans cars, but ignore they can't keep up with Lexus naturally aspirated V8 reliability. I went from a Porsche that did 0-60 in 3.6 to the LC 500's 4.4. Do I notice a difference driving on the street? Nope. Who are you racing everyday? If you are only about taking your car to a drag strip, then I can see you might want something faster. But that isn't what a Grand Touring car is about. If you only pick your car based on racing stats, then you miss out on a lot of other criteria. Safety, Reliability, Luxury, Style, and Comfort make a difference. I thought the same thing about the LC 500 engine being older, until I drove it! It's a beauty!

Last edited by Frog98; 01-08-20 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-08-20, 10:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Reliability as an issue is overstated. Buyers at that level are more concerned about the tangible attributes of the car than they are reliability.

Lexus apologists always come back to reliability, well Lexus can deliver on par performance AND reliability.
Old 01-08-20, 11:09 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Frog98
And some people gush about the performance of the Germans cars, but ignore they can't keep up with Lexus naturally aspirated V8 reliability. I went from a Porsche that did 0-60 in 3.6 to the LC 500's 4.4. Do I notice a difference driving on the street? Nope. Who are you racing everyday? If you are only about taking your car to a drag strip, then I can see you might want something faster. But that isn't what a Grand Touring car is about. If you only pick your car based on racing stats, then you miss out on a lot of other criteria. Safety, Reliability, Luxury, Style, and Comfort make a difference. I thought the same thing about the LC 500 engine being older, until I drove it! It's a beauty!
I don't disagree since it is your opinion. My opinion is different so that is why I don't own one. It's similar to when we talk about the BOF SUVs vs. unibody. Some people like the BOF vehicles even though they don't plan to tow or go offroading, they just like the ability to do it if they ever need to. For the most part these people would be fine with a unibody but that is not what they want or like because it doesn't appeal to them. Different strokes for different folks.

Back the topic at hand, I have been a long time Lexus SUV owner and got tired of the same thing with a different body and mediocre technology so I switched brands. I loved the abilities and reliability of my previous GX's but because the GX stayed the same for so long except for a facelift, I got bored and went elsewhere. If and when they come out with something all new, I could come back but they would have to come back with something strong since the competition, besides reliability, has caught up or surpassed them in my opinion.
Old 01-08-20, 11:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Even in reliability the competition has improved a lot
Old 01-08-20, 11:14 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Reliability as an issue is overstated. Buyers at that level are more concerned about the tangible attributes of the car than they are reliability.

Lexus apologists always come back to reliability, well Lexus can deliver on par performance AND reliability.
Who are you racing? When would you notice the difference? Buyers at this level who buy their cars instead of lease do care about reliability. Who wants more problems? Isn't your time valuable? Do you like to drive loaner cars?
Old 01-08-20, 11:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frog98
Who are you racing? When would you notice the difference? Buyers at this level who buy their cars instead of lease do care about reliability. Who wants more problems? Isn't your time valuable? Do you like to drive loaner cars?
Look at sales figures, they tell the story. Lexus reputation for reliability is not overcoming the gap in the performance and technology in their vehicles at this level compared to german rivals that dont have the same reputation for reliability.

I'd buy the LC in that segment because I love how it looks, and I don't care all that much about performance and I'm used to Lexus tech. However, most buyers don't make the same choice clearly.
Old 01-08-20, 11:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

So what did you buy then?

Originally Posted by MadamGX
Ditto. Like Jill said, losing the V8 might be a bad move; I agree. Don’t mess with the V8 and let us plead ignorance on the daily with the estimated MPG’s.
GX and LX have never had better than 15 mpg. There is too much crying about the GX and LX on here, most would never buy one as it is (or have never had prior experience). We have the first gen LX, and owner the second gen 470, the new one feels right at home coming from those experiences. I do like the Land Cruiser styling inside and out, I think it’s better than the LX.

Quick Reply: Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals