Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-20, 11:25 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I don't disagree since it is your opinion. My opinion is different so that is why I don't own one. It's similar to when we talk about the BOF SUVs vs. unibody. Some people like the BOF vehicles even though they don't plan to tow or go offroading, they just like the ability to do it if they ever need to. For the most part these people would be fine with a unibody but that is not what they want or like because it doesn't appeal to them. Different strokes for different folks.

Back the topic at hand, I have been a long time Lexus SUV owner and got tired of the same thing with a different body and mediocre technology so I switched brands. I loved the abilities and reliability of my previous GX's but because the GX stayed the same for so long except for a facelift, I got bored and went elsewhere. If and when they come out with something all new, I could come back but they would have to come back with something strong since the competition, besides reliability, has caught up or surpassed them in my opinion.
Fair enough, and I agree with you on the BOF SUV's. I've owned a 2011 GX and 2017 LX. I switched to the Germans for a bit as well out of boredom. I had a M550i, Macan S, and 718 GTS. But I missed a lot of thing about Lexus. Reliability just being one of them. I like the way the electronics work in a Lexus. Example of what I didn't like in a German car, how my parking sensors would go off if I got behind a Ford in traffic. I like how the switches and buttons feel in a Lexus. Lexus does so much human factor research, and it shows. As you said, different strokes.
Old 01-08-20, 11:28 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So what did you buy then?

GX and LX have never had better than 15 mpg. There is too much crying about the GX and LX on here, most would never buy one as it is (or have never had prior experience). We have the first gen LX, and owner the second gen 470, the new one feels right at home coming from those experiences. I do like the Land Cruiser styling inside and out, I think it’s better than the LX.
I bought another GTR.

As for the GX, my old GX470 got better gas mileage than my GX460 and even in my GX460 I would average about 16mpg. Besides the technology in the 460, I liked my 470 better and I felt it was built better.
Old 01-08-20, 11:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I bought another GTR.
That’s good. Why would buy “another”. What was so wrong with the first one? An LC is in a whole different class than the GTR. Nissan is not even a luxury brand, more in line with Corvette and maybe Supra.
Old 01-08-20, 11:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

We have the first gen LX, and owner the second gen 470, the new one feels right at home coming from those experiences.
Right, it feels like a vehicle that was designed 20 years ago...doesn't feel modern at all which is part of the problem.
Old 01-08-20, 11:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Right, it feels like a vehicle that was designed 20 years ago...doesn't feel modern at all which is part of the problem.
To whom tho? You who have never owned one of the LX models in any generation? There is a select few that want it. What is so wrong with that? It’s nice that Toyota offers it, the Lexus LX demographic is at $350K, very different clientele than the others car segments Lexus exists in. The LX is a very unique segment for Toyota.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-08-20 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-08-20, 11:39 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Look at sales figures, they tell the story. Lexus reputation for reliability is not overcoming the gap in the performance and technology in their vehicles at this level compared to german rivals that dont have the same reputation for reliability.

I'd buy the LC in that segment because I love how it looks, and I don't care all that much about performance and I'm used to Lexus tech. However, most buyers don't make the same choice clearly.
The LC is something you just must drive to appreciate. The stats don't tell the whole story. It's sooo comfortable compared to the other cars I tried. I would have no issue daily driving it. And I agree with you about the tech. It's hard to get used to something different. Lexus just feels like home after trying other things. Do they need some new vehicles with more up to date tech? Sure! I did test drive a 2020 ES 350 F Sport this week and came away impressed! Huge improvement from my 14' ES. Dare I say it was fun to drive. I'm considering swapping my RX for one eventually...if I can figure out if I can live with the F Sport seats. I also haven't owned a Made in America Lexus...so that is a question mark for me on initial quality...if it would be the same. It seems like it would make a great daily car. I'm kinda liking how it drove compared to the RX.

Last edited by Frog98; 01-08-20 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-08-20, 11:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frog98
The LC is something you just must drive to appreciate. The stats don't tell the whole story. It's sooo comfortable compared to the other cars I tried. I would have no issue daily driving it. And I agree with you about the tech. It's hard to get used to something different. Lexus just feels like home after trying other things. Do they need some new vehicles with more up to date tech? Sure! I did test drive a 2020 ES 350 F Sport this week and came away impressed! Huge improvement from my 14' ES. Dare I say it was fun to drive. I'm considering swapping my RX for one eventually...if I can figure out if I can live with the F Sport seats. It seems like it would make a great daily car. I'm kinda liking how it drove compared to the RX.
I have heard that the Lexus LC has a “magic” carpet ride. Interior design is nice. I would say a flaw is that it could be so much more awesome if it were just a two seater. Just my IMO. As for sales, why would anyone want high sales, you lose the exclusivity.
Old 01-08-20, 11:43 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

That’s good. Why would buy “another”. What was so wrong with the first one? An LC is in a whole different class than the GTR. Nissan is not even a luxury brand, more in line with Corvette and maybe Supra.
I sold my first one to buy another house that we didn't end up buying so I bought another GTR. It's just a weekend car for me and it has four seats so my young kids can go in it.

I agree the LC is a different class of car but it is in the same price range and I could've been easily swayed if it performed better for my tastes. It looks a heck of a lot better than the GTR that's for sure.
Old 01-08-20, 11:52 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

You need to look at it from others' perspective. I totally get that you like new cars and would never drive an old one, I get that. You'll never drive a car more than 3ish years old. That's cool.

But there are some of us that don't care if we drive old cars. My LS430 is ancient and wouldn't want to drive anything else. It's paid for, looks and drives great, and actually sort of a semi-classic. LS430 debatable easily as the best Lexus ever made. It's not debatable that an LS430 is a "special" Lexus and came from the days when Lexus was at its best. I like driving that around. I like that people who know cars recognize that, as I get thumbs up etc and waves from other owners. I don't care about technology I'm missing, I really don't. All I really wish I had were a backup cam and BSM.

LS430 is the equivalent of the W126 or W140 (except everything works) of the S-Class. An old LS430 doesn't have the status of a classic Mercedes but it definitely still carries some legit legacy and respect. And IMO it looks better every day with how crazy car designs are getting. It still drives beautifully, and everything works; I know you know what an LS430 drives like since you had one in your family.

Why would I ever get rid of it and start paying payments again on something newer while everything works fine? Newer doesn't equal better always.

If the car becomes a money pit I'd be singing a different tune, but the car is just stupid reliable.

If I were you I'd buy the 460 out after the lease and hold on to it for a very long time as it's the last example of the old Lexus ethos. They really look great, too, and have aged very well. I wasn't crazy about the '13 refresh at first but it looks great to me now.

But I know you won't do that, and that's cool. Different strokes.
Old 01-08-20, 11:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
You need to look at it from others' perspective. I totally get that you like new cars and would never drive an old one, I get that. You'll never drive a car more than 3ish years old. That's cool.

But there are some of us that don't care if we drive old cars. My LS430 is ancient and wouldn't want to drive anything else. It's paid for, looks and drives great, and actually sort of a semi-classic. LS430 debatable easily as the best Lexus ever made. It's not debatable that an LS430 is a "special" Lexus and came from the days when Lexus was at its best. I like driving that around. I like that people who know cars recognize that, as I get thumbs up etc and waves from other owners. I don't care about technology I'm missing, I really don't. All I really wish I had were a backup cam and BSM.

LS430 is the equivalent of the W126 or W140 (except everything works) of the S-Class. An old LS430 doesn't have the status of a classic Mercedes but it definitely still carries some legit legacy and respect. And IMO it looks better every day with how crazy car designs are getting. It still drives beautifully, and everything works; I know you know what an LS430 drives like since you had one in your family.

Why would I ever get rid of it and start paying payments again on something newer while everything works fine? Newer doesn't equal better always.

If the car becomes a money pit I'd be singing a different tune, but the car is just stupid reliable.

If I were you I'd buy the 460 out after the lease and hold on to it for a very long time as it's the last example of the old Lexus ethos. They really look great, too, and have aged very well. I wasn't crazy about the '13 refresh at first but it looks great to me now.

But I know you won't do that, and that's cool. Different strokes.
What a great post I will add, some have made it crystal clear that a crossover is what they want. I am ok with that. But look at things from a different persons perspective. We just love the feel of an body on frame suv.
Old 01-08-20, 12:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To whom tho? You who have never owned one of the LX models in any generation? There is a select few that want it. What is so wrong with that? It’s nice that Toyota offers it, the Lexus LX demographic is at $350K, very different clientele than the others car segments Lexus exists in. The LX is a very unique segment for Toyota.
Its great that they offer it, issue is its the only thing they offer and as you said there's a "select few" that want it. What about all the other people that want a big well made crossover style vehicle?

As for income, you don't think Mercedes GLS or Range Rover buyers make $350k? They do.

Originally Posted by Frog98
The LC is something you just must drive to appreciate. The stats don't tell the whole story. It's sooo comfortable compared to the other cars I tried. I would have no issue daily driving it. And I agree with you about the tech. It's hard to get used to something different. Lexus just feels like home after trying other things. Do they need some new vehicles with more up to date tech? Sure! I did test drive a 2020 ES 350 F Sport this week and came away impressed! Huge improvement from my 14' ES. Dare I say it was fun to drive. I'm considering swapping my RX for one eventually...if I can figure out if I can live with the F Sport seats. I also haven't owned a Made in America Lexus...so that is a question mark for me on initial quality...if it would be the same. It seems like it would make a great daily car. I'm kinda liking how it drove compared to the RX.
I've driven the LC, its a fabulous car. But again, sales tell the story. They can't give the LC away. So, Lexus needs to up their game to capture this high end market back.

I have heard that the Lexus LC has a “magic” carpet ride. Interior design is nice. I would say a flaw is that it could be so much more awesome if it were just a two seater. Just my IMO. As for sales, why would anyone want high sales, you lose the exclusivity.
The LC doesn't ride particularly well. Doesn't ride anything like an LS for instance, its a pretty firm car.

As for it being a two seater? Why?

The issue is the LX is a new car. Your argument doesn't make sense because we're talking about a new vehicle Lexus is asking $95,000 for.

Most buyers don't want to go out and spend $95,000 for a new vehicle that feels like a vehicle that was designed 20 years ago. They just don't. Again, sales figures show that.

Again not what we're talking about. We're talking about a new on the lot 2020 LX570.
Old 01-08-20, 12:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

I
The issue is the LX is a new car. Your argument doesn't make sense because we're talking about a new vehicle Lexus is asking $95,000 for.

Most buyers don't want to go out and spend $95,000 for a new vehicle that feels like a vehicle that was designed 20 years ago. They just don't. Again, sales figures show that.

Again not what we're talking about. We're talking about a new on the lot 2020 LX570.
I'm not talking about this and not arguing about anything, though I agree with you that the LX and GX are old. You have made it well, well known over the years that you don't like to drive old vehicles. All I'm saying is some of us don't have to have a new car every 3 years and are fine driving an old car into the ground.

I see so many "old" new GXs on the road it is insane. Plenty of LXs too.
Old 01-08-20, 12:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

As for income, you don't think Mercedes GLS or Range Rover buyers make $350k? They do.
I never said they didnt.
Old 01-08-20, 12:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not talking about this and not arguing about anything, though I agree with you that the LX and GX are old. You have made it well, well known over the years that you don't like to drive old vehicles. All I'm saying is some of us don't have to have a new car every 3 years and are fine driving an old car into the ground.

But thats just not at all the topic of what we're discussing. We're not talking about used cars or keeping cars you have or anything like that.

Its one thing to say "some of us dont have to drive a new car", but that doesnt mean people who are buying a new car are fine buying one thats as old and outdated as the LX and GX.

Lexus needs new modern vehicles in these segments because they are losing a ton of buyers to their competitors.
Old 01-08-20, 12:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

We see a lot too. I don’t think I see any of the first gen crossover Mercedes or BMW for their first gen models. I do see lots of older G wagons from time to time. I think they did mess up the new one a little bit.

Quick Reply: Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals