Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-20, 12:23 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
But thats just not at all the topic of what we're discussing. We're not talking about used cars or keeping cars you have or anything like that.

Its one thing to say "some of us dont have to drive a new car", but that doesnt mean people who are buying a new car are fine buying one thats as old and outdated as the LX and GX.

Lexus needs new modern vehicles in these segments because they are losing a ton of buyers to their competitors.
Threads go off topic all the time, but fair enough. But I'm not really going OT when I say that the GX certainly isn't hurting sales-wise. And I'm sure Lexus is satisfied with the LX sales numbers. Land Cruisers and LXs aren't high volume vehicles. I agree it sure wouldn't hurt to have brand new ones that would appeal to more buyers.
Old 01-08-20, 12:24 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
And some people gush about the performance of the Germans cars, but ignore they can't keep up with Lexus naturally aspirated V8 reliability. I went from a Porsche that did 0-60 in 3.6 to the LC 500's 4.4. Do I notice a difference driving on the street? Nope. Who are you racing everyday? If you are only about taking your car to a drag strip, then I can see you might want something faster. But that isn't what a Grand Touring car is about. If you only pick your car based on racing stats, then you miss out on a lot of other criteria. Safety, Reliability, Luxury, Style, and Comfort make a difference. I thought the same thing about the LC 500 engine being older, until I drove it! It's a beauty!
Ok so is Lexus incapable of building a reliable and powerful engine to compete with the Germans?
Old 01-08-20, 12:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Threads go off topic all the time, but fair enough. But I'm not really going OT when I say that the GX certainly isn't hurting sales-wise. And I'm sure Lexus is satisfied with the LX sales numbers. Land Cruisers and LXs aren't high volume vehicles. I agree it sure wouldn't hurt to have brand new ones that would appeal to more buyers.
You have to look at worldwide numbers to look at sales. The best ever USA LX sales volume was 15K per year in 1998-2000ish . Long before GX and all the Toyota Sequoias and other stuff.

Best threads are the ones that go off topic.
Old 01-08-20, 12:38 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Ok so is Lexus incapable of building a reliable and powerful engine to compete with the Germans?
Incapable, no. Toyota is certainly capable of making some of the best race car engines. Look at the TS050 race cars and RCF GT3. Will a Lexus twin turbo higher horsepower more boosted engine be as reliable? Will they require more maintenance? Good question. Read about the reliability of some of the German twin turbo high horsepower V8's. I wouldn't own one long term. It sounds like Lexus is testing a higher horsepower twin turbo smaller block V8 or a twin turbo higher booster V6, so I guess we will see. I just read they were spotted testing a V8 Supra.

Last edited by Frog98; 01-08-20 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-08-20, 12:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Then the bottom line is upper end customers looking for high end sedans, coupes, and crossovers will simply have to take our business elsewhere...which is already happening.
Old 01-08-20, 12:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Then the bottom line is upper end customers looking for high end sedans, coupes, and crossovers will simply have to take our business elsewhere...which is already happening.
Lexus has a high end sedan (people just don’t like it). Same with a coupe (people just don’t like it). They don’t have a high end crossover (makes no difference to me) but I am sure one is coming. . Maybe it’s time to just move on......
Old 01-08-20, 01:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus has a high end sedan (people just don’t like it). Same with a coupe (people just don’t like it). They don’t have a high end crossover (makes no difference to me) but I am sure one is coming. . Maybe it’s time to just move on......
People don't like it because its poorly designed and doesn't compete well with the german competition. Thats the point of what we were talking about... one is coming? When? The competition is on the whole second generation of theirs.

Lexus has become an entry level luxury brand, they are just not focused on anything but downmarket stuff. Their LC and LS products are new, but still way behind their competitors in key areas, their upper end SUVs are each over a decade old in design, approaching 14-15 years old. They have no high end crossovers which are the hottest part of the market today.
Old 01-08-20, 03:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Hasn't there been an article floated around on here about Lexus releasing several, several new models into this new decade or was I dreaming?

They did trademark the name "LX600" for the United States. For me personally, that's going to either be the absolute ultimate beast of all, or a total and complete waste and sellout. If it's the latter, LX570 prices will retain their value even better than they do.
Old 01-08-20, 03:34 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

And those people may find the grass isn't greener on the other side...or that oil leaks on your grass on the other side LOL. You seem to be actively promoting BMW's (and other German cars) for their superiority in your opinion. You seem to want to encourage people to switch. Shouldn't you try one yourself first? I've had two BMW's and two Porsches. Buy one and give us your review in a couple of years.

Last edited by Frog98; 01-08-20 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-08-20, 04:49 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

And those people may find the grass isn't greener on the other side...or that oil leaks on your grass on the other side LOL. You seem to be actively promoting BMW's (and other German cars) and their superiority on here and for people to switch to them. Shouldn't you try one yourself first? I've had two BMW's and two Porsches. Buy one and give us your review in a couple of years.
I think what makes it tough for me is that I am/was a huge Toyota/Lexus fan. I had every generation GX and IS, had a first gen RX and two LS’ (including my favorite 600hL) over the years. I just feel like the last several years they have been somewhat stagnant with the models I am Interested in with just refreshes. I didn’t want to leave the brand but saw what other automobile manufacturers were doing and it piqued my interest so I gave them a try and so far I am very pleased.

I feel that based on Lexus’ history they can do better but they are choosing not to and that is disappointing to me even though others are fine with it. If and when they make some changes that interest me I will be back but so far for me the grass has been greener on the other side but things can always change quickly.
Old 01-08-20, 05:00 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by patgilm
I think what makes it tough for me is that I am/was a huge Toyota/Lexus fan. I had every generation GX and IS, had a first gen RX and two LS’ (including my favorite 600hL) over the years. I just feel like the last several years they have been somewhat stagnant with the models I am Interested in with just refreshes. I didn’t want to leave the brand but saw what other automobile manufacturers were doing and it piqued my interest so I gave them a try and so far I am very pleased.

I feel that based on Lexus’ history they can do better but they are choosing not to and that is disappointing to me even though others are fine with it. If and when they make some changes that interest me I will be back but so far for me the grass has been greener on the other side but things can always change quickly.
Nothing wrong with trying different things. I got bored myself and tried the Germans. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I just think if someone is going to be posting all the time about how much better another brand is, they should try it themself. For me...the service of the others I tried did not compare to my Lexus dealer. My time is too valuable to be making multiple trips to get an oil change or dropping my car off for service for it to sit several days before they began the work while I am driving an Enterprise loaner car. If I am buying a high end "luxury" vehicle, I should get treated like it. What kind of loaner cars does your BMW dealer give? I got base 4 series or previous gen X3. I was very disappointed in the steering on those. I'll take a NX or ES any day over those. My BMW dealer would always tell me they were out of 5 series loaners I had a M550i xdrive.

Last edited by Frog98; 01-08-20 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-08-20, 05:23 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Nothing wrong with trying different things. I got bored myself and tried the Germans. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I just think if someone is going to be posting all the time about how much better another brand is, they should try it themself. For me...the service of the others I tried did not compare to my Lexus dealer. My time is too valuable to be making multiple trips to get an oil change or dropping my car off for service for it to sit several days before they began the work while I am driving an Enterprise loaner car. If I am buying a high end "luxury" vehicle, I should get treated like it. What kind of loaner cars does your BMW dealer give? I got base 4 series or previous gen X3. I was very disappointed in the steering on those. I'll take a NX or ES any day over those. My BMW dealer would always tell me they were out of 5 series loaners I had a M550i xdrive.
Since oil changes are so infrequent these days and I lease now, I am only really looking at 3-4 oil changes. I really liked my Lexus service advisor since he is a friend of mine and Lexus has always treated me right with any warranty work. I know Lexus always has Lexus loaners but I never really took loaners unless it was major work that took a long time. For oil changes I just wait since I don't feel like driving back to the dealer later so I won't take advantage of the BMW loaner because of that but I will find out just out of curiosity. I also don't take advantage of the dealer picking up my car because I don't want someone else driving my car, I'm particular that way. For Dodge, the service is definitely "different" than an upper tier brand but nothing to complain about there since it's only been 2 oil changes for the first 21 months of ownership.

I will say one thing though, the Lexus GM quoted in the original post is the dealer I go to and while the service is nice, they got cheap after the recession and you have to pay for any snacks there. Even the lowly Dodge dealer offers free coffee, donuts, fruit, etc. Same pretty much every dealer around me except for Lexus which is very odd but it is what it is, at least they have free massage chairs, ha ha.
Old 01-08-20, 05:41 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by patgilm
Since oil changes are so infrequent these days and I lease now, I am only really looking at 3-4 oil changes. I really liked my Lexus service advisor since he is a friend of mine and Lexus has always treated me right with any warranty work. I know Lexus always has Lexus loaners but I never really took loaners unless it was major work that took a long time. For oil changes I just wait since I don't feel like driving back to the dealer later so I won't take advantage of the BMW loaner because of that but I will find out just out of curiosity. I also don't take advantage of the dealer picking up my car because I don't want someone else driving my car, I'm particular that way. For Dodge, the service is definitely "different" than an upper tier brand but nothing to complain about there since it's only been 2 oil changes for the first 21 months of ownership.

I will say one thing though, the Lexus GM quoted in the original post is the dealer I go to and while the service is nice, they got cheap after the recession and you have to pay for any snacks there. Even the lowly Dodge dealer offers free coffee, donuts, fruit, etc. Same pretty much every dealer around me except for Lexus which is very odd but it is what it is, at least they have free massage chairs, ha ha.
It took me 3 visits to get my first oil change at one of the German dealers. They didn't have a part they needed and told me to come back the next day. I come back the next day and they still don't have the part they told me they would overnight. They didn't call me to tell me not to drive over. Finally, a week later, they finally got the part. It won't be your choice about a loaner if you have a service campaign like I did on the turbo's on the M550i. It required new software be installed for more lubrication. The letter said it would take an hour or so. I get to the dealer and it ends up being several days. I'm with you on not taking advantage of the dealer pickup. I don't mind taking it in if it doesn't turn into a hassle. I've just had a much easier time owning a Lexus lately. BMW will always have a special place for me because my first car was a 1989 325i. That is pretty cheap of your Lexus dealer to not have free snacks. Mine still does. But it also won the Malcolm Baldridge Quality Award a few years ago. Lexus does need to update some vehicles. That's for sure! But I did not find the ownership and luxury experience of the other brands to be better for me. FYI, you've had some great vehicles!

Last edited by Frog98; 01-08-20 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-08-20, 06:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And those people may find the grass isn't greener on the other side...or that oil leaks on your grass on the other side LOL. You seem to be actively promoting BMW's (and other German cars) for their superiority in your opinion. You seem to want to encourage people to switch. Shouldn't you try one yourself first? I've had two BMW's and two Porsches. Buy one and give us your review in a couple of years.
Im advocating no such thing. What I want to see is Lexus step up to the plate and offer a product that competes at the level they used to compete at. I would love nothing better than to purchase nothing but new Lexus vehicles. I’m a big Lexus fan, clearly I’ve bought 7 of them and had one continuously for the past 22 years.

Just look at the sales figures and it’s plain to see the predicament they are in with any vehicle over $50,000.
Old 01-08-20, 06:20 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Im advocating no such thing. What I want to see is Lexus step up to the plate and offer a product that competes at the level they used to compete at. I would love nothing better than to purchase nothing but new Lexus vehicles. I’m a big Lexus fan, clearly I’ve bought 7 of them and had one continuously for the past 22 years.

Just look at the sales figures and it’s plain to see the predicament they are in with any vehicle over $50,000.
You talk a lot about BMW's superiority and talk so poorly of Lexus. People reading your posts will think you advocating for Lexus' competition. I want to see some new Lexus vehicles as well with new features as well. Maybe some of these new features require further testing before Lexus thinks they can meet their reliability and safety requirements. Example, wireless carplay and motors with more boost. Question for ya. If you were going to spend $100,000+ cash of your own money to buy a vehicle, would you buy a Lexus or German right now? Taking into account Reliability and Depreciation.

Quick Reply: Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals