Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-20, 08:55 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What I want to see from Lexus:

1. A new TTV8, that needs to go in the LS and the LC. LS needs to be softened, not much they can do about the form factor since its such a new model. LC is great, just needs new power.
2. An all new GS model, or a combination of the GS and IS reinvented as a 4 door coupe. TTV6.
3. 2 serious new RWD crossovers based on the GA-L Platform, both midsized and fullsized 3 row. TTV6 with TTV8 optional at least in the 3 row, true competitors for the GLE/GLS and X5/X7/Range Rover
4. Revamped infotainment system that is class leading

Those 4 items and Lexus is an entirely new brand than what it is right now, and they'll get my $90-100,000 for one of those cars. Lexus can achieve this pretty quickly if they want to.
They aren't going to get your $90-100,000 if you lease.
Old 01-08-20, 09:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
Most people who know performance cars agree Mercedes is ahead of BMW on performance vehicles right now. They give better road feel. I've spoken to Porsche employees who have been to track days who agree. The AMG E63 S is preferred by many to the M5 Competition. There is a lot of reviews complaining of lack of road feel in BMW's these days. Not all of them, but some. The S Class is better than the 7 series also. Mercedes sells more vehicles. Are you going to complain about Lexus for another 2 years?
Those are all opinions, and there are certainly people who disagree. Mercedes is making great cars today no doubt. Both are on an entirely different level than Lexus. Between the two what i would buy depends on the segment I would buy in. Flagship luxury sedan I would choose the S Class. SUV I would choose the X7 or X5

I will continue to voice my opinion about the current state of Lexus when the topic comes up and it’s appropriate yes.

They aren't going to get your $90-100,000 if you lease.
Actually they do. When you lease a car the car is sold to the finance company, the sale to the dealership and the manufacturer is no different than any other financed sale. Anyways it a figure of speech.
Old 01-08-20, 09:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What I want to see from Lexus:

1. A new TTV8, that needs to go in the LS and the LC. LS needs to be softened, not much they can do about the form factor since its such a new model. LC is great, just needs new power.
2. An all new GS model, or a combination of the GS and IS reinvented as a 4 door coupe. TTV6.
3. 2 serious new RWD crossovers based on the GA-L Platform, both midsized and fullsized 3 row. TTV6 with TTV8 optional at least in the 3 row, true competitors for the GLE/GLS and X5/X7/Range Rover
4. Revamped infotainment system that is class leading

Those 4 items and Lexus is an entirely new brand than what it is right now, and they'll get my $90-100,000 for one of those cars. Lexus can achieve this pretty quickly if they want to.
Don't waste your time, you'll be waiting till your hair turns and Lexus will still be a day late and a dollar short as always. Just get that Bimmer.
Old 01-08-20, 09:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Don't waste your time, you'll be waiting till your hair turns and Lexus will still be a day late and a dollar short as always. Just get that Bimmer.
Sadly, you’re probably right.
Old 01-08-20, 10:12 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

As I say Lexus is competitive if all you care about is reliability and are willing to stay the course after warranty.

I stopped by the Lexus dealership during the Dec to rem, and a salesmen was trying to get me to upgrade into the "all new GX". Gave me the pitch and then some about it. Asked him one simple question, if i sit behind myself in traffic today will I know the difference between this all new model and the older 17...still waiting on the answer.

I have voiced this concern quite frequently, and in this thread, but theyre rolling out vehicles that cost more, and have less features then their identical corporate twins nowdays. GX vs 4R? Whats that all about?

Old 01-08-20, 10:39 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by coolsaber
As I say Lexus is competitive if all you care about is reliability and are willing to stay the course after warranty.

I stopped by the Lexus dealership during the Dec to rem, and a salesmen was trying to get me to upgrade into the "all new GX". Gave me the pitch and then some about it. Asked him one simple question, if i sit behind myself in traffic today will I know the difference between this all new model and the older 17...still waiting on the answer.

I have voiced this concern quite frequently, and in this thread, but theyre rolling out vehicles that cost more, and have less features then their identical corporate twins nowdays. GX vs 4R? Whats that all about?
As opposed to not caring about reliability and liking to drive loaner cars. Reliability is definitely a curse word around in here. Some people actually like their cars not to break down...shocking!
Old 01-08-20, 10:51 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

As opposed to not caring about reliability and liking to drive loaner cars. Reliability is definitely a curse word around in here. Some people actually like their cars not to break down...shocking!
Reliability is great, and if thats all I cared about I`d pick up a 4Runner. Higher resale, more features then the MY20 GX, made on the same assembly line in Japan, and about quite a bit cheaper. Lexus knows how to build both RELIABLE and TECH advanced vehicles, its happened when every iteration of models were originally launched, and happened till about 2010ish, and then relatively stagnant.

Not asking for the BMW-loaner experience, just asking for Lexus to release models that arent 2010 versions with a newer grill or features that are standard in a bog standard corolla or even its chassis twin
Old 01-08-20, 11:06 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Reliability is great, and if thats all I cared about I`d pick up a 4Runner. Higher resale, more features then the MY20 GX, made on the same assembly line in Japan, and about quite a bit cheaper. Lexus knows how to build both RELIABLE and TECH advanced vehicles, its happened when every iteration of models were originally launched, and happened till about 2010ish, and then relatively stagnant.

Not asking for the BMW-loaner experience, just asking for Lexus to release models that arent 2010 versions with a newer grill or features that are standard in a bog standard corolla or even its chassis twin
Fair enough, I just think reliability shouldn't be a negative as some like to make it sound on here. It's a pretty GREAT and important thing! Consumer Reports has recent article titled "New Cars aren't always more reliable, Despite what buyers think". It's worth a read. If you have to have the latest and greatest, there could be some growing pains.
Old 01-09-20, 04:26 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,160 Likes on 750 Posts

Lexus #1 in reliability. Lexus #1 in customer loyalty. Lexus #1 in customer satisfaction. Lexus #1 in the lowest depreciation. Lexus is #1 in the lowest cost to maintain in the luxury car group. Far from just being reliable. Any other manufacturer would kill for just being #1 in one of these let alone all five. Please please please post one other manufacturer that is even close to Lexus in all five categories.

Last edited by Freds430; 01-09-20 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-09-20, 05:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Lexus #1 in reliability. Lexus #1 in customer loyalty. Lexus #1 in customer satisfaction. Lexus #1 in the lowest depreciation. Lexus is #1 in the lowest cost to maintain in the luxury car group. Far from just being reliable. Any other manufacturer would kill for just being #1 in one of these let alone all five. Please please please post one other manufacturer that is even close to Lexus in all five categories.
you have to understand that many people here do not want Lexus anymore, they are here for community.
Old 01-09-20, 05:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Fair enough, I just think reliability shouldn't be a negative as some like to make it sound on here. It's a pretty GREAT and important thing!
Absolutely!

Consumer Reports has recent article titled "New Cars aren't always more reliable, Despite what buyers think". It's worth a read. If you have to have the latest and greatest, there could be some growing pains.
Typical clickbait title as well as stating the obvious. And CR has done more to destroy the meaning of "reliability" than anyone. It used to mean the chances of being stranded by the side of the road. Today those chances are near zero across all brands. Now it could mean someone can't figure out how to play a podcast reliably. Cry me a river.

But yes, we've all heard stories of bmw fuel pumps dying, general turbo issues on some german models, etc. obviously those brands hate that and have worked to try to eliminate those problems. But it's also true that millions of owners of german luxury vehicles HAVEN'T experienced those issues at all. Glad the article is about NEW vehicles because much discussion on here is about ownership past warranty or past 100k, 200k, etc. i think most can agree here we'd feel more relaxed about reliability in a lexus with 100k mi., than a bmw or mercedes! Having said that, my neighbor, a realtor, has a mercedes s550 4-matic he bought new maybe 3 years ago. He already has 100k miles on it. It's been PERFECT. I know, only a sample set of one.

So for me reliability comes in 2 parts... will it have problems in the short run OR the long run, and (thanks CR), is its USABILITY *GREAT* (not just ok). Lexus infotainment systems have hurt them on part 2 there. Not among those like Freds430 for whom reliability is #1 by far and for those who don't really care about tech and features.

Frog98 - I have to add on a lighter note that your sig makes me smile when I see it...

2019 RX 450HL Luxury package
2020 LC 500 Performance Package

2 great vehicles of course, but 2 ENTIRELY different ones... i call them left brain, and right brain.
or "super sensible" and "what the hell, i deserve it!"

I am a little jealous of your 2020 LC... that is one gorgeous car and I'm glad Lexus made it. Even if it only sells in small numbers I think it helps their image a LOT.

Old 01-09-20, 06:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Reliability is certainly not a curse word, but it’s not “everything” and the difference is over stated. I know many people who drive luxury cars, and none of my friends with BMWs or Mercedes or Audi’s have their cars in the shop more than I do. And my LS460 was in the shop for 4 days last month with a $4k+ warranty repair which is a very common issue with that vehicle, so yes Lexus products DO have issues that require repair...it’s not unheard of.

What frustrates me is this idea that “reliability” should trump features, technology and performance in an expensive luxury car. I just don’t agree, if I didn’t care about how a car feels, drives, performs, and looks i wouldn’t be driving a $90,000+ car. If all I cared about was reliability and leather seats and a luxury image I would spend $50k on an ES. When I drive competing models at price points over $60k they’re just better. They drive better, look better, have much better technology and performance. Might they be a little less reliable? Sure. Might I have to drive a loaner car for a couple days a year I wouldn’t have to with a Lexus? Sure. Is that the end of the world for the difference in what those cars offer in driving enjoyment for my money? I don’t think so.

Lexus CAN build cars that do compete and are still reliable. I would really like them to but they don’t seem interested in doing that. Yes, that frustrates me. I simply will not buy a transverse FWD rebadged Toyota simply because it’s reliable. I was proper RWD platforms, I want modern power trains, I want competitive modern features and infotainment also. Why are those dirty words and why am I wrong for wanting those things and reliability?

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-09-20 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-09-20, 06:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

^^^ Great post.
Old 01-09-20, 06:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

What frustrates me is this idea that “reliability” should trump features, technology and performance in an expensive luxury car. I just don’t agree, ?
Perhaps you would feel different if you actually purchased the vehicle and not leased it. The value in buying Lexus IS in the long term, whether real or perceived. German cars do not carry the long term value the same way a Lexus does. I have always said that leasing a Toyota or a Lexus is a bit of a waste because all the value is in long-term ownership. If I were the leasing type, a Lexus or Toyota would last vehicle I would get. There are all kinds of cars I’d like to try, but not out of warranty.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-09-20 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-09-20, 06:41 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Five time Lexus buyer here, the last two being LXs. We have been shopping to replace current LX, and have just about settled on leaving the Lexus brand for a Porsche Cayenne. Driving the 2020 versions of each show how poorly the LX has aged.

And the spindle grille keeps growing and growing; it looks like the cow catcher on an old coal burning locomotive.

Quick Reply: Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals