Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-20, 06:45 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
you have to understand that many people here do not want Lexus anymore, they are here for community.
That's why I am here. Car Chat is probably my favorite forum because it includes discussions of all cars and provides great information on many different makes and models.
Old 01-09-20, 06:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Perhaps you would feel different if you actually purchased the vehicle and not leased it. The value in buying Lexus IS in the long term, whether real or perceived. German cars do not carry the long term value the same way a Lexus does. I have always said that leasing a Toyota or a Lexus is a bit of a waste because all the value is in long-term ownership. If I were the leasing type, a Lexus or Toyota would last vehicle I would get.
I might, but again I didn't feel this way leasing Lexus vehicles 10 years ago, or 15 years ago, or 20 years ago. Their cars were more comparable to their competition then, even better in some segments. That's not the case now.

Originally Posted by Reggie1
Five time Lexus buyer here, the last two being LXs. We have been shopping to replace current LX, and have just about settled on leaving the Lexus brand for a Porsche Cayenne. Driving the 2020 versions of each show how poorly the LX has aged.
All you have to do is drive the competition sadly...

Now the LX is a different sort of vehicle than a Cayenne, but Lexus has nothing to compare to a Cayenne.
Old 01-09-20, 07:15 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
Incapable, no. Toyota is certainly capable of making some of the best race car engines. Look at the TS050 race cars and RCF GT3. Will a Lexus twin turbo higher horsepower more boosted engine be as reliable? Will they require more maintenance? Good question. Read about the reliability of some of the German twin turbo high horsepower V8's. I wouldn't own one long term. It sounds like Lexus is testing a higher horsepower twin turbo smaller block V8 or a twin turbo higher booster V6, so I guess we will see. I just read they were spotted testing a V8 Supra.
Ok there you go. Lexus chose to delay it for yrs and wasted time on a cohuh pe few people would buy.
Old 01-09-20, 07:20 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
you have to understand that many people here do not want Lexus anymore, they are here for community.
What's with you and these ridiculous statements? I for 1 own and still want a Lexus.
Old 01-09-20, 08:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I might, but again I didn't feel this way leasing Lexus vehicles 10 years ago, or 15 years ago, or 20 years ago. Their cars were more comparable to their competition then, even better in some segments. That's not the case now..
As people grow up, people tend to lose their fondness or admiration for something compared to when they were younger (things are no longer new to people). Mercedes and BMW have had V12s and turbos for a really long time. Amg and M forever They have also had more experimental vehicles as well. So all of sudden now 20 years later, lack of new engines and very expensive models is now all of a problem? Older engines is nothing really new. How long did Lexus use the UZ architecture for the LS (17 model years) LX used UZ for 10 years. Power ratings for Lexus models have always been a little behind historically, 471 for the LC is no different than when my Lexus LX470 was just 235 while Cadillac at the time was 285 if I remember.

Also, Lexus does not always rush to market new products and engine tech. Yes, Lexus IS behind in screens and infotainment for sure, but they still lead in reliability and customer service. You have historically defended remote touch, now if you jump ship, you get touchscreens going forward...

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-09-20 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-09-20, 08:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,507 Likes on 1,648 Posts

Perhaps you would feel different if you actually purchased the vehicle and not leased it. The value in buying Lexus IS in the long term, whether real or perceived. German cars do not carry the long term value the same way a Lexus does. I have always said that leasing a Toyota or a Lexus is a bit of a waste because all the value is in long-term ownership. If I were the leasing type, a Lexus or Toyota would last vehicle I would get. There are all kinds of cars I’d like to try, but not out of warranty.
great post! And i think this is also why it's hard for lexus to win a vaguely interesting 'sales race' with bmw and mercedes because if lexus average ownership is way longer, then short of new models being introduced and loads of conquest sales, they're always going to lose.

In new releases, besides the new LS which hasn't done Lexus any sales favors, the biggest impact for lexus has been the new UX, the new version ES and revised RX. Apart from the LS, the others just aren't that luxurious any longer, but yeah, guys like SW17LS and i are spoiled. but even objectively, i think a non-luxury brand palisade is more luxurious (and practical) than an rx. Still, RX owners are very loyal and like my neighbors did, come back faithfully every few years and get another one. In their case though, wifey couldn't stomach the spindle, and they went elsewhere last time (to hyundai santa fe!).

This whole thread though is about how the RX, GX, and LX are old, which can't be disputed. Lexus has kept 'breathing some life' into them, but the reality is they all need to be replaced. Are they still selling? Sure, but at what cost to Lexus' reputation for innovation.

Old 01-09-20, 08:31 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Our RX350 lease is up this summer and I think we will be going to the X3 M40i or a Model Y. My wife likes the RX, but the outdated powertrain, tech, and older chassis is a bit of a turn off. If we're getting a new SUV, we want much more than what is offered by the Lexus lineup today. Now if they debut that RWD SUV, that would definitely persuade us back to the L!
Old 01-09-20, 08:32 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Reliability is certainly not a curse word, but it’s not “everything” and the difference is over stated. I know many people who drive luxury cars, and none of my friends with BMWs or Mercedes or Audi’s have their cars in the shop more than I do. And my LS460 was in the shop for 4 days last month with a $4k+ warranty repair which is a very common issue with that vehicle, so yes Lexus products DO have issues that require repair...it’s not unheard of.

What frustrates me is this idea that “reliability” should trump features, technology and performance in an expensive luxury car. I just don’t agree, if I didn’t care about how a car feels, drives, performs, and looks i wouldn’t be driving a $90,000+ car. If all I cared about was reliability and leather seats and a luxury image I would spend $50k on an ES. When I drive competing models at price points over $60k they’re just better. They drive better, look better, have much better technology and performance. Might they be a little less reliable? Sure. Might I have to drive a loaner car for a couple days a year I wouldn’t have to with a Lexus? Sure. Is that the end of the world for the difference in what those cars offer in driving enjoyment for my money? I don’t think so.

Lexus CAN build cars that do compete and are still reliable. I would really like them to but they don’t seem interested in doing that. Yes, that frustrates me. I simply will not buy a transverse FWD rebadged Toyota simply because it’s reliable. I was proper RWD platforms, I want modern power trains, I want competitive modern features and infotainment also. Why are those dirty words and why am I wrong for wanting those things and reliability?
You seem to lease a lot of cars that need repair. Nothing wrong with my LC. It’s mine, not the finance companies. It seems to bother some around here if posters like their Lexus now. That’s kind of sad. You use the “I have a friend excuse a lot” what does any research show? JD Power, consumer reports, cars.com, edmunds etc. I remember, you said you don’t care. I’m going to go enjoy my LC now and exit this thread Enjoy your complaining. That sounds like a fun life.
Old 01-09-20, 08:40 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Long term ownership does not make financial sense, except for people that drive too many miles per year where leasing is not practical. For people that drive average amount of miles, it costs about the same to lease a brand new car vs owning a used car - between repair and depreciation it costs about the same, and you get to drive an old car. And I don't want to hear about Lexus' supposed reliability, I've owned many cars including Lexus to know better. My old LS400 that was supposed to be super reliable was actually an utter money pit, with ridiculously expensive parts and super hard to work on.

Leasing just saves so many headaches, I'm never buying any car ever again.
Old 01-09-20, 08:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

As people grow up, people tend to lose their fondness or admiration for something compared to when they were younger (things are no longer new to people). Mercedes and BMW have had V12s and turbos for a really long time. Amg and M forever They have also had more experimental vehicles as well. So all of sudden now 20 years later, lack of new engines and very expensive models is now all of a problem? Older engines is nothing really new. How long did Lexus use the UZ architecture for the LS (17 model years) LX used UZ for 10 years. Power ratings for Lexus models have always been a little behind historically, 471 for the LC is no different than when my Lexus LX470 was just 235 while Cadillac at the time was 285 if I remember.
My admiration for the brand hasn't changed, what has changed is the brand itself. Lexus has changed a TON in the last 5-7 years, and I don't like the feel of the new Lexus like I did the old Lexus. I'm hardly alone in that opinion either. 20 years ago Lexus had new engines, and they did not have the same power gaps that they have today, I've illustrated that to you before.

I'm not somebody that likes change. I would love to walk in and buy the same car just newer and improved over and over again.

You have historically defended remote touch, now if you jump ship, you get touchscreens going forward...
The only company that has only touchscreens is Audi, MB and BMW have touchscreens and a hand control. In any event, I'd go back to a touchscreen, it doesn't really bother me either way.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great post! And i think this is also why it's hard for lexus to win a vaguely interesting 'sales race' with bmw and mercedes because if lexus average ownership is way longer, then short of new models being introduced and loads of conquest sales, they're always going to lose.
The question is do Lexus owners really keep their cars longer? Always seem to be planty of CPO cars on Lexus lots.

You seem to lease a lot of cars that need repair. Nothing wrong with my LC. It’s mine, not the finance companies. It seems to bother some around here if posters like their Lexus now. That’s kind of sad. You use the “I have a friend excuse a lot” what does any research show? JD Power, consumer reports, cars.com, edmunds etc. I remember, you said you don’t care. I’m going to go enjoy my LC now and exit this thread Enjoy your complaining. That sounds like a fun life.
You keep trying to make this personal and its not personal. You enjoy your Lexus cars and thats great, I have repeatedly told you how much I like your LC. I really enjoy my LS460L. I can have criticisms of Lexus' direction without disliking my own vehicle or every vehicle they make. I'm not "complaining". I post a ton on CL and the vast majority of what I post is not critical at all.

If you don't want to hear objective discussions about Lexus as a brand and its competitors I would suggest you stick to the model specific forums and stay away from Car Chat. This is what this forum is all about,

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-09-20 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-09-20, 09:12 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

My admiration for the brand hasn't changed, what has changed is the brand itself. Lexus has changed a TON in the last 5-7 years, and I don't like the feel of the new Lexus like I did the old Lexus. I'm hardly alone in that opinion either. 20 years ago Lexus had new engines, and they did not have the same power gaps that they have today, I've illustrated that to you before.

I'm not somebody that likes change. I would love to walk in and buy the same car just newer and improved over and over again.

The only company that has only touchscreens is Audi, MB and BMW have touchscreens and a hand control. In any event, I'd go back to a touchscreen, it doesn't really bother me either way.

The question is do Lexus owners really keep their cars longer? Always seem to be planty of CPO cars on Lexus lots.

You keep trying to make this personal and its not personal. You enjoy your Lexus cars and thats great, I have repeatedly told you how much I like your LC. I really enjoy my LS460L. I can have criticisms of Lexus' direction without disliking my own vehicle or every vehicle they make. I'm not "complaining". I post a ton on CL and the vast majority of what I post is not critical at all.

If you don't want to hear objective discussions about Lexus as a brand and its competitors I would suggest you stick to the model specific forums and stay away from Car Chat.
How do you know about the competitors? You haven’t owned any! You have no experience with them lol.
Old 01-09-20, 09:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

How do you know about the competitors? You haven’t owned any! You have no experience with them lol.
Ive driven them all, many of them extensively. I don’t have any ownership experience but that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m able to look at two vehicles and form opinions about their attributes without owning them both.

Instead of focusing on trying to discredit me why don’t you share how your opinion differs and why.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-09-20 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-09-20, 09:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,507 Likes on 1,648 Posts

It seems to bother some around here if posters like their Lexus now. That’s kind of sad.
not sure who you're referring to, but i for one am thrilled if anyone is happy with their vehicle, whatever it is, but particularly lexus as this is after all, ClubLexus!

and you own my favorite Lexus right now (hint, not the RX you have LOL) - did you see my other post on your sig?

Enjoy your complaining. That sounds like a fun life.
he really isn't complaining, not speaking for him, but like some others, he seems to be disappointed lexus is moving so slowly in what has become the hottest segment of the luxury market (3 row crossovers!) and fine car though it is, the market appears to have spoken about the new LS. and of course lexus has abandoned the GS it seems, a former JEWEL of their line-up they marketed beautifully and proudly (deservedly). now, not so much. clublexus was built on the sedans - gs, is, ls, es and then of course, rx, lx, etc. all but the ls and es are ancient now. that's kind of sad. i personally had a GS and an RX - loved them both. but that was then. i hope to be back. it's definitely possible.
Old 01-09-20, 09:47 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Ive driven them all, many of them extensively. I don’t have any ownership experience but that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m able to look at two vehicles and form opinions about their attributes without owning them both.

Instead of focusing on trying to discredit me why don’t you share how your opinion differs and why.
It would be a waste of my time again. I already have. You will only disagree. You apparently know it all having never owned a Lexus competitor and not caring what any professional research shows. Test driving is nothing like owning a car.
Old 01-09-20, 09:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

bit, you can speak for me whenever you want lol. Spot on.

It would be a waste of my time again. I already have. You will only disagree. You apparently know it all having never owned a Lexus competitor and not caring what any professional research shows. Test driving is nothing like owning a car.
I just don’t agree with you, I don’t owe you agreement. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen you share how you think Lexus is not behind in these areas, only that you don’t care. That’s fine, I do care as do the other posters who have shared, and sales figures show that Lexus sales above $60k are down dramatically. Why do you think that’s the case?

Quick Reply: Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals