Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-20, 10:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Who says that they don’t? .
I have seen nobody on car chat say they bought a new BMW or MB for the long haul. I have seen nobody advocate the long term value of owning a German car, paid with cash for the long haul. I think leasing a BMW or MB is probably a smarter move than buying one.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-11-20 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-11-20, 10:22 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have seen nobody on car chat say they bought a new BMW or MB for the long haul. I have seen nobody advocate the long term value of owning a German car, paid with cash for the long haul. I think leasing a BMW or MB is probably a smarter move than buying one.
Leasing ANY car is a smarter move than buying one, unless you drive too many or too little miles.
Old 01-11-20, 10:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
From my experience, BMW parts are substantially cheaper than Lexus parts.
The difference is how simply it is to find somebody to do the work

I have seen nobody on car chat say they bought a BMW or MB for the long haul. I have seen nobody advocate the long term value of owning a German car, paid with cash for the long haul.
I don't think thats true. I can think of several CL members who post on CarChat that have older BMW and MB cars. And again, this IS a Lexus forum. Members here who no longer drive Lexus cars only made that change after they became members here and moved on from their Lexus cars. Most people who buy any expensive luxury car do not pay cash, and don't keep them a long time (the majority of luxury cars sold are leased, thats the case with every brand).

I'm not saying a BMW or MB is going to be as trouble free or as inexpensive to maintain as a Lexus long term, I'm just saying its not the "nightmare" people here make them out to be.

I know a good many people who have older BMWs and MBs, and some of them have had issues, but most of them have been fine. And again, cost of upkeep is not the ONLY factor at play here. Many people are not averse to paying more to maintain a vehicle that they really enjoy.
Old 01-11-20, 10:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Most people who buy any expensive luxury car do not pay cash, and don't keep them a long time (the majority of luxury cars sold are leased, thats the case with every brand).
I would say there are more people who buy (finance or cash) a Lexus than there are those who lease, in comparison to the German brands. Lexus should be increasing the lease base, however.

I'm not saying a BMW or MB is going to be as trouble free or as inexpensive to maintain as a Lexus long term, I'm just saying its not the "nightmare" people here make them out to be.
I do sort of agree.

Some interesting posts here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1239658
Old 01-11-20, 10:32 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

That isn’t true. Go back and look at it Year over year, this is absolutely not the first time in 30 years German brands were above the industry average. I posted 2009, both BMW and Audi and Porsche were over the average. All German brands. MB was just below.
It says it right on the press release! Not one or two or three German brands. All German brands!!! Read it for yourself! Below is not above.
Old 01-11-20, 10:39 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Leasing ANY car is a smarter move than buying one, unless you drive too many or too little miles.
Yeah, no. With a few exceptions, like business owners.
Old 01-11-20, 10:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would say there are more people who buy (finance or cash) a Lexus than there are those who lease, in comparison to the German brands. Lexus should be increasing the lease base, however.
That may be true, I don't have any statistics on that, but still most of them are leased.

Originally Posted by Frog98
It says it right on the press release! Not one or two or three German brands. All German brands!!! Read it for yourself! Below is not above.
Okay, well the question is what does that prove? One does not buy a car made by "every german manufacturer" you choose to buy one built by one manufacturer.

By your logic, the reliability of a Lexus is diminished by the fact that multiple other asian brands are routinely well below average. That doesnt make any sense either.

The point is you can't assign reliability to a brand simply because of what country it comes from. There are Japanese cars that are rated very highly, and very poorly. There are American cars that are rated very highly and very poorly. There are German cars that are rated very highly and very poorly.

Most people believe "The japanese make the most reliable cars" and thats just simply not true. Nor is it true that "Germans make cars that are the least reliable"
Old 01-11-20, 10:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
Yeah, no. With a few exceptions, like business owners.
Unless you're going to keep the car 6 years or longer, its cheaper to lease. I've done the math many times, and thats without the benefit of business deductions, etc.
Old 01-11-20, 10:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That may be true, I don't have any statistics on that, but still most of them are leased.
I don't have the stats either. I think more are owned than leased, 60/40 or 55/45 for the Lexus brand. The very strong resale value hints that buying a Lexus IS the most cost effective.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-11-20 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-11-20, 10:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Unless you're going to keep the car 6 years or longer, its cheaper to lease. I've done the math many times, and thats without the benefit of business deductions, etc.
And it can be cheaper to lease even past 6 years, when you account for repairs and continuing depreciation.

Old 01-11-20, 10:57 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
And it can be cheaper to lease even past 6 years, when you account for repairs and continuing depreciation.
I drive ~18k miles a year. Cheaper to own in that case.
Old 01-11-20, 11:02 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Okay, well the question is what does that prove? One does not buy a car made by "every german manufacturer" you choose to buy one built by one manufacturer.

By your logic, the reliability of a Lexus is diminished by the fact that multiple other asian brands are routinely well below average. That doesnt make any sense either.

The point is you can't assign reliability to a brand simply because of what country it comes from. There are Japanese cars that are rated very highly, and very poorly. There are American cars that are rated very highly and very poorly. There are German cars that are rated very highly and very poorly.

Most people believe "The japanese make the most reliable cars" and thats just simply not true. Nor is it true that "Germans make cars that are the least reliable"
I just stated a fact. There wasn’t any opinion to it. It is J. D. Power’s logic. Argue with them. Isn’t Lexus the most reliable car brand according to this study? Isn’t it Japanese? You are now saying that the Japanese don’t make the Lexus brand?

Last edited by Frog98; 01-11-20 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-11-20, 11:19 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

I just want a car that's mine, that I know free and clear I'll own after it's paid off. Cars last a very long time these days, and I don't care about having something new every couple years.

I certainly get why people do lease, however.
Old 01-11-20, 11:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't have the stats either. I think more are owned than leased, 60/40 or 55/45 for the Lexus brand. The very strong resale value hints that buying a Lexus IS the most cost effective.
Those numbers are just totally made up though. According to the finance manager at my Lexus dealer about 65% of buyers lease. He has previously worked for BMW, and other domestic brands and he says that BMW is similar.

And again, it’s not just about being cost effective. This is a luxury purchase, by its very nature cost and value are taking a backseat to other considerations.

Originally Posted by Frog98
I just stated a fact. There wasn’t any opinion to it. It is J. D. Power’s logic. Argue with them. Isn’t Lexus the most reliable car brand according to this study? Isn’t it Japanese? You are now saying that the Japanese don’t make the Lexus brand?
But just because Lexus is the most reliable doesn’t mean that all Japanese brands or cars are also extremely reliable.

You can’t make a blanket statement about all cars manufactured by a company from a particular country is my point.
Old 01-11-20, 11:38 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Not all Japanese brands are reliable. Go own a Nissan and you'll see. Not all German cars are unreliable. Many friends with 10yr BMWs that had no issues. Generally, higher the performance capability, higher the chance things go wrong. It's not surprising German cars are less reliable given their performance advantage over their Japanese counterparts.

Quick Reply: Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals