Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-20, 11:50 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Not all Japanese brands are reliable. Go own a Nissan and you'll see. Not all German cars are unreliable. Many friends with 10yr BMWs that had no issues. Generally, higher the performance capability, higher the chance things go wrong. It's not surprising German cars are less reliable given their performance advantage over their Japanese counterparts.
I've had a couple Infinitis and they weren't bad but they were no Lexus, that's for sure, in terms of reliability.
Old 01-11-20, 12:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And again, it’s not just about being cost effective. This is a luxury purchase, by its very nature cost and value are taking a backseat to other considerations.
Absolutely it is. The most cost effective way of acquiring something is the best and smartest way. A lease of a high priced BMW or MB is most cost effective because instinctively, most know that the long term value in a BMW or MB is minimal. If there was value in owning high priced BMW/MBs for the long haul, people would buy them and keep them. Just because something is a luxury purchase, does not mean cost effective methods of acquisition go out the door

In 2018, Lexus was offering $25,000 off a new LS500awd in Toronto. But only if you paid cash. A $100,000 Lexus for $75,000, what a smart move to buy one. This type of discount was once in a lifetime for a brand new to market Lexus model. Never to be seen again

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-11-20 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-11-20, 12:28 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Those numbers are just totally made up though. According to the finance manager at my Lexus dealer about 65% of buyers lease. He has previously worked for BMW, and other domestic brands and he says that BMW is similar.

And again, it’s not just about being cost effective. This is a luxury purchase, by its very nature cost and value are taking a backseat to other considerations.

But just because Lexus is the most reliable doesn’t mean that all Japanese brands or cars are also extremely reliable.

You can’t make a blanket statement about all cars manufactured by a company from a particular country is my point.
I don't recall making a blanket statement that all Japanese cars are reliable. Not even all Lexus are equal. But does Lexus make the most reliable cars? Yes, yes they do.

I take pride in ownership, so I've never leased to chime in on that subject. I don't want anyone else telling me what to do with my car...it's mine.

Old 01-11-20, 12:45 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Not all Japanese brands are reliable. Go own a Nissan and you'll see. Not all German cars are unreliable. Many friends with 10yr BMWs that had no issues. Generally, higher the performance capability, higher the chance things go wrong. It's not surprising German cars are less reliable given their performance advantage over their Japanese counterparts.
Yet, many on here want Lexus to make those higher performance cars even if it comes at the cost of reliability. They say Lexus is behind for being more reliable. I decided I'd rather keep a LC 500 long term than my M550i xdrive. Do people notice the difference in the performance of a RC F or LC 500 vs. the German competition? Or do they just want bragging rights and seek what the marketing companies tell them they need? Literally you are talking about fractions of a second in many cases. Unless you are drag racing, will you notice a difference?
Old 01-11-20, 12:48 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

Unless you're going to keep the car 6 years or longer, its cheaper to lease. I've done the math many times, and thats without the benefit of business deductions, etc.
I've done the math too, and I've never found it to be cheaper.
Old 01-11-20, 12:49 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
And it can be cheaper to lease even past 6 years, when you account for repairs and continuing depreciation.
I'd have to see that to believe it.
Old 01-11-20, 01:14 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
Yet, many on here want Lexus to make those higher performance cars even if it comes at the cost of reliability. They say Lexus is behind for being more reliable. I decided I'd rather keep a LC 500 long term than my M550i xdrive. Do people notice the difference in the performance of a RC F or LC 500 vs. the German competition? Or do they just want bragging rights and seek what the marketing companies tell them they need? Literally you are talking about fractions of a second in many cases. Unless you are drag racing, will you notice a difference?
If it's less than half second, probably won't notice. The way it delivers power is also important. I'm right now, there is more than a second difference between comparable Lexus vs German cars. I don't care if Lexus is a little slower. I care if there is a much bigger difference.
Old 01-11-20, 01:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
I've done the math too, and I've never found it to be cheaper.
I think the it is implied that it is cheaper if you want a new car every 3 years.
Old 01-11-20, 01:21 PM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Let me take this in a different direction. I own 2 Lexi (3RX and 18 GX). I work in IT and am not some 70-year old retiree. I have always loved computers and gadgets and automobiles. But I am getting really tired of the car marketers, car journalists and car forums correlating the value or appeal of cars with the amount of "tech" that can be shoehorned into them.

The GX appeals to me because of its comfort, ride quality, it's utility (that is the U in SUV, right?) and the long-term reliability. The GX NAV unit will never be confused with an iPhone 11 and I am OK with that. Decades of driving has taught me how to safely stay in my lane without computer assistance--even throughout a 10-hour drive. To me, there is a point at which there is an inverse correlation between all the tech-for-tech's-sakes and value. I want simplicity and the ability to relax in comfort when driving a rig that I know can go through just about anything.

Car makers like Toyota are spending R&D dollars programming face-scanning sensors to wake you up and show you an image of a coffee cup on the dash. What happened to caution and personal responsibility? These gizmos are conditioning a new generation of drivers that texting, eating, talking and other distractions take precedence over one's life and safety. Put the cell phone down and concentrate on the road, kids.

I was recently at an event hosted by a Toyota executive that focused on Toyota's quality methodology. A brief history of the company and it's future trajectory were included. Although interesting, it is bizarre and a bit sad that Toyota no longer wants to be a car company but rather a "mobility" company. They've invested in Uber, etc. and in Japan they have investments in autonomous driving startups. And if you want to know why their R&D can't keep up with tech from other OEM's, maybe it is because they are building an entire CITY that has little to do with automobiles: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/07/toyo...-in-japan.html

Old 01-11-20, 01:27 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
If it's less than half second, probably won't notice. The way it delivers power is also important. I'm right now, there is more than a second difference between comparable Lexus vs German cars. I don't care if Lexus is a little slower. I care if there is a much bigger difference.
True about how they deliver power. The turbo's can deliver a sudden burst of power which you need to be ready for. Naturally aspirated gives smooth power. Also, look at how many IS F's and SC430's are still being driven happily around, some now 10-19 years old. I asked my Lexus salesman if they ever get any used IS F's, GS F's, or SC 430's in. He said rarely...they sell fast!!! The SC 430 actually still looks good today in my opinion. Just my opinion.
Old 01-11-20, 01:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

True about how they deliver power. The turbo's can deliver a sudden burst of power which you need to be ready for. Naturally aspirated gives smooth power. Also, look at how many IS F's and SC430's are still being driven happily around, some now 10-19 years old. I asked my Lexus salesman if they ever get any used IS F's, GS F's, or SC 430's in. He said rarely...they sell fast!!! The SC 430 actually still looks good today in my opinion. Just my opinion.
Why would a V8 LC be smoother than a V8tt SL500?
Old 01-11-20, 01:46 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

I'm not expert on this part. Anyone feel free to correct me. It just feels different. I believe its because the maximum torque and horsepower come at high rpm's on a naturally aspirated motor. It builds up, instead of coming on at a lower rpm. I just know it something like an NX, I like the turbo. It's not going to give you too much power. But in a 400hp+ I just feel safer with that power building up as you go. That's just me though. It may not matter as much in heavier cars. I just prefer being able to not get any surprises if I give it the beans.

Last edited by Frog98; 01-11-20 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-11-20, 02:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

I take pride in ownership, so I've never leased to chime in on that subject. I don't want anyone else telling me what to do with my car...it's mine.
Absolutely. Nothing against leasing, but it's not for me. It would feel the same as renting an apartment...it's not yours. I also take pride in ownership and drive them into the ground.

True about how they deliver power.
Yes, even though it is pretty underpowered for the day, the 4.3 V8 in my LS is still heavenly with how it behaves overall....and it's plenty fast enough. I'd take my legendary 290HP V8 over a much more powerful TTV6 any day of the week. There is instant, abundant torque from off idle....being N/A it's 100% predictable.

Before turbos became mainstream, doesn't everyone remember car makes boasting about the (N/A) engines "making 90% of torque by xxxx RPM"? That's still a lot.
Old 01-11-20, 02:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just the transmission performance alone is enough to chose a 550/850 over RC-F/LC500. Lexus transmissions are just a lost cause.

That being said, the RC-F and LC500 are a minuscule percentage of Lexus sales. Most Lexus sold are not even premium cars, they are dressed up Corollas and of course they are cheaper to maintain and repair vs any real premium brand. If you are so concerned with reliability and cost of maintenance, why even have a premium car at all, why not drive a Yaris or some other inexpensive car?
Old 01-11-20, 02:24 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Just the transmission performance alone is enough to chose a 550/850 over RC-F/LC500. Lexus transmissions are just a lost cause.

That being said, the RC-F and LC500 are a minuscule percentage of Lexus sales. Most Lexus sold are not even premium cars, they are dressed up Corollas and of course they are cheaper to maintain and repair vs any real premium brand. If you are so concerned with reliability and cost of maintenance, why even have a premium car at all, why not drive a Yaris or some other inexpensive car?
I've had a RC F and a LC 500. The transmissions are different. Is it the PDK I had in my Macan S and 718 GTS i had? No, but it's not the "only" thing I considered when buying the LC. If you must have the best transmission and that's all you care about, you should buy a Porsche or Ferrari.
I like how it's an insult if a car is based off some of the best non premium cars made. LOL. How do Camry's, Avalon's, Corolla's, Rav4's, Highlanders's rate compared to other brands?

Last edited by Frog98; 01-11-20 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals