Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-20, 02:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Absolutely. Nothing against leasing, but it's not for me. It would feel the same as renting an apartment...it's not yours. I also take pride in ownership and drive them into the ground.

Yes, even though it is pretty underpowered for the day, the 4.3 V8 in my LS is still heavenly with how it behaves overall....and it's plenty fast enough. I'd take my legendary 290HP V8 over a much more powerful TTV6 any day of the week. There is instant, abundant torque from off idle....being N/A it's 100% predictable.

Before turbos became mainstream, doesn't everyone remember car makes boasting about the (N/A) engines "making 90% of torque by xxxx RPM"? That's still a lot.

I used to be a lot like you, and I get it about the emotional attachment. I used to have an LS400, which was supposed to be the most reliable car but turned out to be an utter pos clunker that cost me more money and time that it still pisses me off. I also had a GS430, which by far was my favorite car of all time, and I put so much money babying it it and upgrading it, and keeping it in like new condition - and the it was totaled by hurricane Sandy.

Leasing is just such a good way to avoid all this nonsense and emotional attachment. Its a fixed expense, it eliminates the risk of major loss if your car is totaled in the first year when it depreciated the most, and you get to drive a new car all the time. Not to mention you dont have to deal with the hustle of selling the car when you're ready to get rid of it.

Maybe its an age thing, but I value my time a lot more than I used to, and I don't get emotionally attached to material things, especially cars. It makes me a lot more excited to get a shiny new toy every three years with all the latest and greatest tech than "taking pride in ownership" of what everyone sees as an old clunker.
Old 01-11-20, 02:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Frog98
I've had a RC F and a LC 500. The transmissions are different. Is it the PDK I had in my Macan S and 718 GTS i had? No, but it's not the "only" thing I considered when buying the LC. If you must have the best transmission and that's all you care about, you should buy a Porsche or Ferrari.
I drove the RC and LC, and I liked the RC way better. It actually felt like a performance car, and I would certainly consider the RC-F if it had a cohesive design instead of being the parts bin mess that it is, but even more importantly if it had a normal infotainment instead of that remote touch cluster pluck. The LC is not for me, gorgeous looking car, but its transmission is hopeless and it just doesn't feel sporty at all.

Ferrari is out of reach for me, and most Porsches just don't do anything for me. I'm happy with BMW.

I like how it's an insult if a car is based off some of the best non premium cars made. LOL. How do Camry's, Avalon's, Corolla's, Rav4's, Highlanders's rate compared to other brands?
Comparing these non premium cars is a bit like comparing diseases. I can barely tolerate a 10 minute uber ride in any of these miserable transportation appliances, I would never want to own one. Just a couple days ago I had an uber ride in a last gen RX - what a joke to even call it a premium car. There was not a single piece of premium trim anywhere in the cabin, just a sea of cheap plastic and cheap leather.
Old 01-11-20, 02:44 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I drove the RC and LC, and I liked the RC way better. It actually felt like a performance car, and I would certainly consider the RC-F if it had a cohesive design instead of being the parts bin mess that it is, but even more importantly if it had a normal infotainment instead of that remote touch cluster pluck. The LC is not for me, gorgeous looking car, but its transmission is hopeless and it just doesn't feel sporty at all.

Ferrari is out of reach for me, and most Porsches just don't do anything for me. I'm happy with BMW.

Comparing these non premium cars is a bit like comparing diseases. I can barely tolerate a 10 minute uber ride in any of these miserable transportation appliances, I would never want to own one. Just a couple days ago I had an uber ride in a last gen RX - what a joke to even call it a premium car. There was not a single piece of premium trim anywhere in the cabin, just a sea of cheap plastic and cheap leather.
You should stick with BMW, since it seems to working out for you so well. How is that X5 doing? Isn't your daughter driving it?
Old 01-11-20, 02:50 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I used to be a lot like you, and I get it about the emotional attachment. I used to have an LS400, which was supposed to be the most reliable car but turned out to be an utter pos clunker that cost me more money and time that it still pisses me off. I also had a GS430, which by far was my favorite car of all time, and I put so much money babying it it and upgrading it, and keeping it in like new condition - and the it was totaled by hurricane Sandy.

Leasing is just such a good way to avoid all this nonsense and emotional attachment. Its a fixed expense, it eliminates the risk of major loss if your car is totaled in the first year when it depreciated the most, and you get to drive a new car all the time. Not to mention you dont have to deal with the hustle of selling the car when you're ready to get rid of it.

Maybe its an age thing, but I value my time a lot more than I used to, and I don't get emotionally attached to material things, especially cars. It makes me a lot more excited to get a shiny new toy every three years with all the latest and greatest tech than "taking pride in ownership" of what everyone sees as an old clunker.
What's wrong with emotional attachment? Millions of people have emotional attachment to their cars. Leasing also always means you never actually own a vehicle, I don't like that. My LS has been to CA and back, driven around gridlock LA for 2 years, etc. etc. It's completely paid for and still has years and years left of life in it. I have an attachment to it and I have no problem admitting that.

And I'm sorry your LS was a junker but mine isn't, and most aren't. I spend nothing "babying" or "keeping my LS in good condition". I change the oil once a year and wash it regularly, big deal. It's still a fabulous car to drive and own. I see new luxury sedans with half of the woodgrain the 430 has, no bueno.

That does suck about your GS, though, and I'd be pretty disappointed too if weather totaled it.

But I don't like leasing cars and that's that.
Old 01-11-20, 02:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

You should stick with BMW, since it seems to working out for you so well. How is that X5 doing? Isn't your daughter driving it?
Oh give me a break, if you bother to read my thread look how BMW actually owns to their mistakes and making free repairs 7 years later.

Besides, I bought the car back in the days when I myself wasnt really sold on leasing. Nowadays I just lease and the 5 other BMWs that I leased were flawless.
Old 01-11-20, 03:03 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Oh give me a break, if you bother to read my thread look how BMW actually owns to their mistakes and making free repairs 7 years later.

Besides, I bought the car back in the days when I myself wasnt really sold on leasing. Nowadays I just lease and the 5 other BMWs that I leased were flawless.
They SHOULD fix it! They aren't doing you a favor. And why you aren't disposing of it I don't understand. Yeah, those leases never got to be several years old for you did they? Were they 2-3 year leases?
Old 01-11-20, 03:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

What's wrong with emotional attachment? Millions of people have emotional attachment to their cars. Leasing also always means you never actually own a vehicle, I don't like that. My LS has been to CA and back, driven around gridlock LA for 2 years, etc. etc. It's completely paid for and still has years and years left of life in it. I have an attachment to it and I have no problem admitting that.

And I'm sorry your LS was a junker but mine isn't, and most aren't. I spend nothing "babying" or "keeping my LS in good condition". I change the oil once a year and wash it regularly, big deal. It's still a fabulous car to drive and own. I see new luxury sedans with half of the woodgrain the 430 has, no bueno.

That does suck about your GS, though, and I'd be pretty disappointed too if weather totaled it.

I would be emotionally drained and quite upset if I were paying interest on a car/suv. Especially for a lifetime. Different if I had no money and I absolutely needed a car. I don’t like cars “that much”.
Old 01-11-20, 03:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Let me give you another example that made me a true believer in leasing. The first car I ever leased was a 2010 335 coupe, if my memory serves me right I leased it for about $525 a month, and it was destroyed by sandy a month before the lease ended. Thats roughly 18k over three years, and when it was destroyed my insurance appraised its value higher than what I owed BMW, and I got a $5k check for the difference. Driving one of the best sport coupes for 3 years for $13k is a sweet freaking deal no matter how you slice it.

I also bought a Suzuki GV right after Sandy for my daughter, and it got totalled exactly two years later. It cost me 22.5k, I got 10k back from insurance. Driving one of the cheapest SUVs for 2 years for 12.5k is a terrible deal, and it would've been even worse if it was a more expensive car that depreciates fast. After that I will never buy a car - lease only. I prefer the fixed expense and worry free experience.
Old 01-11-20, 03:09 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would be emotionally drained and quite upset if I were paying interest on a car/suv. Especially for a lifetime. Different if I had no money and I absolutely needed a car. I don’t like cars “that much”.
Admittedly if it wasn't an LS430 I probably wouldn't be so attached. The IS we have I couldn't care less about, I hope it gets totaled.

But we hope to end up with an LX soon which is another high end Lexus that I know I will be obsessed with.
Old 01-11-20, 03:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

They SHOULD fix it! They aren't doing you a favor. And why you aren't disposing of it I don't understand. Yeah, those leases never got to be several years old for you did they? Were they 2-3 year leases?
Three year leases, and no, not many manufacturers would be stand up enough to fix a car with almost 60k thats 3 years out of warranty. For now it runs really great after the repair, so I'll just let her drive it and see how it goes. Just really don't want to bother with the hustle of selling.
Old 01-11-20, 03:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Admittedly if it wasn't an LS430 I probably wouldn't be so attached. The IS we have I couldn't care less about, I hope it gets totaled.

But we hope to end up with an LX soon which is another high end Lexus that I know I will be obsessed with.
I love all my cars. Love the freedom of doing whatever we want, whenever. But don’t get me wrong, if I lose it all (knock on wood) tomorrow, happy I don’t owe anything
Old 01-11-20, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Absolutely it is. The most cost effective way of acquiring something is the best and smartest way. A lease of a high priced BMW or MB is most cost effective because instinctively, most know that the long term value in a BMW or MB is minimal. If there was value in owning high priced BMW/MBs for the long haul, people would buy them and keep them. Just because something is a luxury purchase, does not mean cost effective methods of acquisition go out the door

In 2018, Lexus was offering $25,000 off a new LS500awd in Toronto. But only if you paid cash. A $100,000 Lexus for $75,000, what a smart move to buy one. This type of discount was once in a lifetime for a brand new to market Lexus model. Never to be seen again
Again, you don’t purchase new luxury cars. For you value is really important. It’s not for everybody, and less so for people who buy 80K+ cars (such as I do, and you never have)

$25k is not unheard of on an LS, I got about $22k off of mine. 2019s are marked down $25k at my dealer right now.

Well, we do.

Originally Posted by Bob04
I've done the math too, and I've never found it to be cheaper.
When compared to buying new and trading at 5 years or less it is almost always cheaper or at least no more expensive.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-11-20 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-11-20, 03:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Again, you don’t purchase new luxury cars. For you value is really important. It’s not for everybody, and less so for people who buy 80K+ cars (such as I do, and you never have)

$25k is not unheard of on an LS, I got about $22k off of mine. 2019s are marked down $25k at my dealer right now.

Well, we do.

When compared to buying new and trading at 5 years or less it is almost always cheaper or at least no more expensive.
A $25K cash only discount on a first year Lexus absolutely is unheard of. Never to be seen again on a first year model for Lexus.
Old 01-11-20, 03:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

A $25K cash only discount on a first year Lexus absolutely is unheard of. Never to be seen again on a first year model for Lexus.
It was on a leftover 2018, not when the 2018s first came out. And it wasn't "cash only" there was just no special financing attached to it, the dealer would be happy to finance it and make a commission off of the financing.

There would have been different incentives to lease which would have wound up being similar.

And the reason for the discount is nobody liked the car. Nothing to be too excited about lol
Old 01-11-20, 03:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It was on a leftover 2018, not when the 2018s first came out. And it wasn't "cash only" there was just no special financing attached to it, the dealer would be happy to finance it and make a commission off of the financing.

There would have been different incentives to lease which would have wound up being similar.

And the reason for the discount is nobody liked the car. Nothing to be too excited about lol
Never said when it first came out. Just said first year, or referring to Model Year MY.

Quick Reply: Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals