Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-20, 05:21 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The problem with the BMW in-line six twin turbo is the throttle response and torque curve; it is peaky and unpleasant just like other turbos.
Thus, at the end of the day, it is horses for courses and each to their own.
If you like outright performance and economy, go small capacity turbo.
If you like refinement, go atmospheric.

Overall, Lexus sales and profitability is doing fine.
It costs very little to modify a FWD-based Toyota platform into a Lexus, so Lexus makes very good money.

The intermediate lies in hybrids and plug-ins, the latter of which TMC is moving into.
While the future lies in electric.
I've driven a 340 quite a bit and I'll take it over the 3.5L V6 any day. The Is350 throttle response was also somewhat laggy but there was no turbo lag. The 340 turbo lag is minimal though and once it's in power band, it endlessly pulls and pulls. A much better Powertrain imo. Let's not give Lexus excuses here. They are definitely behind the ball in powertrain options.
Old 01-02-20, 05:34 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Lol, old or not, I would take the 3.5 V6 over any turbo crap....all day, every day.

These 2.0ts are not pleasant engines to live with.
Obviously, you haven’t driven the VW Golf R 2.0 turbo 4. That engine puts out 288 horsepower and 280 lb-ft of torque! It’s smooth power & loves to be reved & it gets 30+ mpg all day long.
Old 01-02-20, 06:05 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I've driven a 340 quite a bit and I'll take it over the 3.5L V6 any day. The Is350 throttle response was also somewhat laggy but there was no turbo lag. The 340 turbo lag is minimal though and once it's in power band, it endlessly pulls and pulls. A much better Powertrain imo. Let's not give Lexus excuses here. They are definitely behind the ball in powertrain options.
That small capacity turbos are superior to atmos is only your opinion; I wouldn't get too opinionated on these matters.
There are plenty of people who prefer atmospheric.

TMC is slow on electrification, but life is a compromise.
Hastily buy Tesla now, and your car will fall apart later.
Wait for TMC EV, and your car will generally last & last.....
Old 01-02-20, 06:21 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

That small capacity turbos are superior to atmos is only your opinion; I wouldn't get too opinionated on these matters.
There are plenty of people who prefer atmospheric.

TMC is slow on electrification, but life is a compromise.
Hastily buy Tesla now, and your car will fall apart later.
Wait for TMC EV, and your car will generally last & last.....
Last I checked, the 3 series pretty much stomps the IS in sales, reviews, and awards. Not just MY opinion when general automotive press refer to the IS350 as needing an upgrade badly. I'm sure some like NA but most enthusiasts would rather the power.

Last I checked plenty of Tesla's are doing great with high mileage. So not really worried there
Old 01-02-20, 06:52 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Last I checked, the 3 series pretty much stomps the IS in sales, reviews, and awards. Not just MY opinion when general automotive press refer to the IS350 as needing an upgrade badly. I'm sure some like NA but most enthusiasts would rather the power.

Last I checked plenty of Tesla's are doing great with high mileage. So not really worried there
Like any BMW, sure Teslas do well short term. Wait till 10 years.

Regardless what reviews say, TMC still sitting on top of their $200 billion dollar equity.

Every thing has it's pros & cons.
Horses for courses, each to their own.

You can't force some one into a coupe, sedan, or CUV/SUV tall wagon - let alone a small capacity turbo, or a Tesla for that matter.

​​​​​​​Just too opinionated....

Old 01-02-20, 07:32 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I`d take it that Lexus is going to be putting to bed alot of these "unreliability myths" with the bigger beasts they`re expected to rollout.

For some reason, anything not Toyota is considered weak and unreliable, and sure enough once Toyota does it, its reliable.

So far in the past couple years its been:

Forced Induction...Toyota now has quite a few Turbocharged vehicles, even in the Lexus fleet.
Android auto Carplay...Toyota now has begun rolling them out.
BMW anything....BMW supra

While I have no magic predictive abilities, I expect alot of higher costing models to be moving to powertrains that going to breaking the mold, rather then adhering to it. While I agree that the current powertrains are probably beyond amazing, and has led to quite a brand, its time to recognize that new engines are inbound, new powertrains are inbound, and new tech is inbound.

Old 01-02-20, 07:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Toyota has 40 years of turbocharging experience. Lots of turbo models back in the 80s. 4Runner even had one. They will do well for the long term.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-02-20 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-02-20, 09:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Ok folks, this is about an article asserting lexus is having a midlife crisis with again suvs. Not about 4 vs 6 cylinders and, yet again, the pros and cons of turbos or NA engines.
Old 01-02-20, 10:33 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

There's a saying that 1000 roads all lead to Rome.
This literally means there are many different ways to do the same thing.

TMC is doing fine.
They are selling fine.
At the end of the day, all business is about money.
TMC is still sitting on a stockpile and leading the automotive world with $200 billion dollars in equity.

TMC has solid financials.
Do you want TMC to have shady financials - celebrate over just one quarter of profits - only to eschew the next 14 quarters in losses?

Back in the 1980's, coupe or sedan - who cares?
Today, sedan or CUV/SUV tall wagons? Who cares?
Gas or diesel?
Atmos or turbo?
ICEV or EV?

Sure, Kim Kardashian never full throttles her Ferrari - and most truck owners have never used their truck bed!
In America, consumers have the freedom to choose whatever they like, and reasoning is often very complex.

Every design has its advantages and disadvantages.
Pick what best suits our own individual needs, wants and tastes.
Horses for courses, and each to their own.
What is great for Jack, isn't necessarily great for CTJill.

TMC is doing fine.
Be hasty, and compromise on the build quality and longevity.
Be patient, and some very good quality and reliable EV's will be available...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-02-20 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-03-20, 06:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

TMC is still sitting on a stockpile and leading the automotive world with $200 billion dollars in equity.
you bring this up often but by 'equity' i believe you're referring to shareholder equity, which thus isn't toyota's to spend.

just found this site which is really interesting for financials details... https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c.../balance-sheet

toyota does have 52Bn in cash and can obviously borrow pretty much whatever it wants based on its stellar balance sheet.

interesting to note here that gross profit has been rock steady for 5 years (roughly $48Bn a year) after another 5 years of less impressive results: https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...come-statement

it's somewhat amazing their P/E is only 11... maybe their stock is undervalued?
Old 01-03-20, 06:53 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

TMC is tapped out on growth so low PE. Most car OEMs have low PE due to their mature markets. Toyota's Enterprise Value is about $200M and about the same as their Equity Value. It's amazing how little value car OEMs are worth given their size. Apple's service business (App Store, Music, etc) is worth more than $200M Auto business is a terrible business to be in though. Margins really suck and it's too competitive.
Old 01-03-20, 06:55 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

It is a fact that Lexus is languishing behind with their SUV lineup, and before that, it was their car lineup. It is the same situation with Toyota. Once the TNGA for their cars were done baking, they rolled out updates to their cars fast and furious. Once their TNGA BOF platform is done baking, updates will start rolling out fast and furious as well. I believe they focused on updating their cars first simply because the car market was falling and they needed to prop it up while their SUVs will still sell well regardless in the meantime, in hindsight.

Their biggest mistake was spending years and tons of money on the LC500. Their entire product portfolio, including new powertrains could have been updated by now if the efforts wasnt spend on creating a low volume sports car with an outdated engine. I mean what was the point in creating a product that was not competitive performance wise in it's price range when your entire product and powertrain portfolio needed the resources, both monetary and human?
Old 01-03-20, 09:13 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

A refreshing video looking at the two main german luxury competitors. I think it has some useful lessons for Lexus. What are they?

Why BMW Is No Longer The Leader In Luxury Sales

Old 01-03-20, 12:03 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
It is a fact that Lexus is languishing behind with their SUV lineup, and before that, it was their car lineup. It is the same situation with Toyota. Once the TNGA for their cars were done baking, they rolled out updates to their cars fast and furious. Once their TNGA BOF platform is done baking, updates will start rolling out fast and furious as well. I believe they focused on updating their cars first simply because the car market was falling and they needed to prop it up while their SUVs will still sell well regardless in the meantime, in hindsight.

Their biggest mistake was spending years and tons of money on the LC500. Their entire product portfolio, including new powertrains could have been updated by now if the efforts wasnt spend on creating a low volume sports car with an outdated engine. I mean what was the point in creating a product that was not competitive performance wise in it's price range when your entire product and powertrain portfolio needed the resources, both monetary and human?
The LC 500 is not a Sports Car. It's a Grand Touring Coupe. It's nothing like my 718 GTS I had. It's a luxurious, comfortable, reliable, safe grand touring car. I'm pretty excited the chief of the LC 500 design team was named the Lexus President. If you haven't driven a LC 500...you should! I highly doubt the costs of human and monetary resources of the LC stopped Lexus from doing anything. It's not like they are a mom and pop shop with 20 employees.
Old 01-03-20, 12:13 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
The LC 500 is not a Sports Car. It's a Grand Touring Coupe. It's nothing like my 718 GTS I had. It's a luxurious, comfortable, reliable, safe grand touring car. I'm pretty excited the chief of the LC 500 design team was named the Lexus President. If you haven't driven a LC 500...you should! I highly doubt the costs of human and monetary resources of the LC stopped Lexus from doing anything. It's not like they are a mom and pop shop with 20 employees.
Sports Car or GT or whatevers, it just wasnt what the company should have focused on at the time. Yes it is great news that the LC's design chief was named President. Every company has limited resources, no matter how much they have. They are developing hydrogen cars, EVs, PHEVs and working on gas powertrains with 10yr old vehicles sitting on their lots. The LC was a distraction and unnecessary and the same can be said of the RC and the GSF. Get all your ducks in a row then work on your pet projects.

Quick Reply: Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals