Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-20, 12:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Honestly, I don't know how anyone can possibly hate on the LC500...(yes the engine is old, but the people who actually HAVE them seem to like them) It blows my mind at some of the negativity. Like seriously, why be on here? LC500 is a beautiful car.
Old 01-03-20, 12:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Honestly, I don't know how anyone can possibly hate on the LC500...(yes the engine is old, but the people who actually HAVE them seem to like them) It blows my mind at some of the negativity. Like seriously, why be on here? LC500 is a beautiful car.
Agree. LC is one of the most gorgeous cars on the road if not the.

Who cares the engine is N/A....it sounds better than the TTV8 competition and is still plenty fast!

I think LC should be on the "best" list top 10 at least.
Old 01-03-20, 01:01 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you bring this up often but by 'equity' i believe you're referring to shareholder equity, which thus isn't toyota's to spend.

just found this site which is really interesting for financials details... https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c.../balance-sheet

toyota does have 52Bn in cash and can obviously borrow pretty much whatever it wants based on its stellar balance sheet.

interesting to note here that gross profit has been rock steady for 5 years (roughly $48Bn a year) after another 5 years of less impressive results: https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...come-statement

it's somewhat amazing their P/E is only 11... maybe their stock is undervalued?
Equity is just a measure of overall wealth.
Equity is defined as assets less liabilities.
For example, you may have had a $1.5 million dollar loss last year.
However, that means little, because you have $30 million dollars in assets, less $1.5 million dollars in loans, leaving you with an equity of $28.5 million.

Toyota Motor Corp have a very solid financial position with now $180 billion dollars in equity, and so many billion/year in profits.
The opposite of TMC is Tesla which has what - say $5 billion dollars in equity, occasionally posting one quarter with profits, and say posting another 14 consecutive quarters in losses?
Because TMC and Tesla are opposites, that's why it is much harder for Tesla to take sales from TMC compared to stealing sales from BMW.

The $180 billion dollar equity is not liquid cash available instantly, but TMC has long had the most liquid cash of any auto manufacturer.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ing-securities

Amazon posted losses for 9 years in a row, but Amazon was trading at a time when e-Commerce had only just begun.
On the other hand, in the auto industry, Daimler AG and even Fo Mo Co have been around for over 100 years; Toyota almost 100 years.
Unlike e-Commerce and Amazon, the automotive industry already has a lot of established competitors - with deep pockets.

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out over time.

Toyota Motor Corp is doing fine IMO.
They just have a different way of doing things.
All 1,000 roads lead back to Rome.

They are all good, but just in different ways....
Old 01-03-20, 01:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Who cares the engine is N/A....it sounds better than the TTV8 competition and is still plenty fast!
I would argue that there is "some" merit that a turbo engine could be offered...but anyone who agrees that a no-turbo offer is a limitation should also agree that a V12 in the Lexus line should be offered...I also think it could have been extra special if it were a 2 seater.... Anyways, this type of car is not available at most brands, it is a beautiful
car. Just wait for the new cabriolet. I wish I could afford an LC

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-03-20 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-03-20, 01:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

I would argue that there is "some" merit that a turbo engine could be offered...but anyone who agrees that a no-turbo offer is a limitation should also agree that a V12 in the Lexus line should be offered...I also think it could have been extra special if it were a 2 seater.... Anyways, this type of car is not available at most brands, it is a beautiful
car. Just wait for the new cabriolet. I wish I could afford an LC
Sure. I just mean that the N/A V8 would not dissuade me from a purchase.

The should have dropped that in the LS.
Old 01-03-20, 01:12 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Equity is defined as assets less liabilities.
For example, you may have had a $1.5 million dollar loss last year.
However, that means little, because you have $30 million dollars in assets, less $1.5 million dollars in loans, leaving you with an equity of $28.5 million.

Toyota Motor Corp have a very solid financial position with now $180 billion dollars in equity, and so many billion/year in profits.
The opposite of TMC is Tesla which has what - say $5 billion dollars in equity, occasionally posting one quarter with profits, and say posting another 14 consecutive quarters in losses?
Because TMC and Tesla are opposites, that's why it is much harder for Tesla to take sales from TMC compared to stealing sales from BMW.

The $180 billion dollar equity is not liquid cash available instantly, but TMC has long had the most liquid cash of any auto manufacturer.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ing-securities

Amazon posted losses for 9 years in a row, but Amazon was trading at a time when e-Commerce had only just begun.
On the other hand, in the auto industry, Daimler AG and even Fo Mo Co have been around for over 100 years; Toyota almost 100 years.
Unlike e-Commerce and Amazon, the automotive industry already has a lot of established competitors - with deep pockets.

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out over time.

Toyota Motor Corp is doing fine IMO.
They just have a different way of doing things.
All 1,000 roads lead back to Rome.

They are all good, but just in different ways....
$5B in equity? You literally have no clue on how to value equity. That's their balance sheet equity on their books. It doesn't reflect their intrinsic value. They are worth $80B of equity on the market. Their enterprise value is their market cap + net debt and that is the value of the company.
Old 01-03-20, 01:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Oh absolutely. If anyone says 'I would not buy this car cause of the older V8" is not firing on all cylinders (pun haha) on the flip side, I have also taken a new appreciation for Toyota and Lexus hybrids, I am glad there is an alternative to a V8...hopefully the LCh will get upgraded to plug-in capability.
Old 01-03-20, 01:38 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Well you are referring to me? You would assume wrong. All I'm saying is LC can exist, but just shouldnt be on the top of their list of things to do.
Old 01-03-20, 01:42 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

The should have dropped that in the LS.
Oh absolutely. If anyone says 'I would not buy this car cause of the older V8" is not firing on all cylinders (pun haha) on the flip side, I have also taken a new appreciation for Toyota and Lexus hybrids, I am glad there is an alternative to a V8...hopefully the LCh will get upgraded to plug-in capability.
The V8 is a reason to get the car, absolutely. However, when Lexus charges near $100k for the thing, it needs to perform at that level too. They should have spent their time updating their old lineup of SUVs and cars FIRST so this article and thread wouldnt even exist. Then focus on this pet project of theirs with updated powertrains that can keep up with its competitors. If a NA V8 truly means anything to people that actually buys it, Lexus wouldnt have had trouble meeting its annual 2000 unit sales goal.
Old 01-03-20, 02:03 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
$5B in equity? You literally have no clue on how to value equity. That's their balance sheet equity on their books. It doesn't reflect their intrinsic value. They are worth $80B of equity on the market. Their enterprise value is their market cap + net debt and that is the value of the company.
Yes, their balance sheet equity was last valued in 2018 at $4.92 billion dollars.

I'm not interested in playing shares and the stock market.
Do I "have" to play with the stock market, or just your opinion again?
Old 01-03-20, 02:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

yes, as you say, a company's assets minus liabilities but it's never that simple... as EZZ points out, market capitalization matters too because if a stock's on fire a company can raise capital at a moment's notice by issuing more stock even if it's dilutive to shareholders.

equity has NOTHING to do with stealing sales unless many base their purchasing decision on the balance sheet of the manufacturer.

again, market cap and growth matter hugely too. toyota's growth has been anemic compared to amazon's.

Originally Posted by EZZ
agree there's more to a company's worth than assets minus liabilities.

but yes, tsla 'equity' is 5B.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c.../balance-sheet

however...

market caps of:
TSLA $80B
TM 229B
AMZN 930B

one could say amazon is overvalued but their growth is astonishing.
Old 01-03-20, 02:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

but peteharvey, while toyota is doing fine financially, and is certainly well managed financially, market disruptions can mess big time with such a cautious approach.
having said that, toyota has placed a LOT of investments in other ventures in recent years which may help them weather storms with their own line-up which let's face it, is mostly stodgy or boring or a little odd (CH-R ). they've definitely tried to add 'excitement' (Camry, LS, LC), as we know, LS gambit hasn't really worked, the Camry's doing well in a harsh sedan market, and the LC is obviously in a tiny niche so hardly going to impact the bottom line either way too much.

but back to the thread title... i REALLY hope the next NX, GX, LX are EPIC and SOONER rather than later! the RX changes were defensive for sure... adding the third row without changing the wheelbase was truly a half-a$$ed move, and how many variations of GX and LX can we have before they're just considered ancient? a friend has a GX and i know they got it because they view it as very safe, and the lease was relatively cheap. they couldn't care less about BOF, off-road, or even most of its features or lack thereof. so good for toyota/lexus for capturing that kind of buyer but it's likely to get tougher...
Old 01-03-20, 02:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, their balance sheet equity was last valued in 2018 at $4.92 billion dollars.

I'm not interested in playing shares and the stock market.
Do I "have" to play with the stock market, or just your opinion again?
I don't mind others opinions but what you present is factually incorrect or misinterpreted information. Tesla's equity value is $80B and not $5B. You can refute that all you want but you'd be wrong. You can't talk about equity without talking about the stock. I can't believe I'm having this conversation.
Old 01-03-20, 02:18 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

yes, as you say, a company's assets minus liabilities but it's never that simple... as EZZ points out, market capitalization matters too because if a stock's on fire a company can raise capital at a moment's notice by issuing more stock even if it's dilutive to shareholders.equity has NOTHING to do with stealing sales unless many base their purchasing decision on the balance sheet of the manufacturer. again, market cap and growth matter hugely too. toyota's growth has been anemic compared to amazon's.agree there's more to a company's worth than assets minus liabilities.

but yes, tsla 'equity' is 5B.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c.../balance-sheet

however...

market caps of:
TSLA $80B
TM 229B
AMZN 930B

one could say amazon is overvalued but their growth is astonishing.
Pete is using equity to determine how strong a company is financially. Equity on the balance sheet doesn't determine that. The Equity value from its market cap determine how much financial firepower it has. The equity on the balance sheet is just the plug between the assets in its books and the liability. That's my point. TMC is worth billions and it's reflected in their high market cap. Tesla is also worth billions by that same metric (although some may argue its overvalued).
Old 01-03-20, 02:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

i REALLY hope the next NX, GX, LX are EPIC and SOONER rather than later!
Why do they have to be EPIC? Why can't they be good, or very good, or quite competitive? I wonder if your opinion might be a little Bit (pun intended) different if you had prior long term ownership experience. I don't have any prior experience with an NX or RX, but there are certain things that a future GX or LX must-have, and if they move away from that, I would be very unhappy.

Quick Reply: Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals