Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-20, 02:26 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
$5B in equity? You literally have no clue on how to value equity.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Thanks for that bitkahuna. Equity is equity.

Equity is not market capitalisation for stock market.

TMC's $180 billion dollar equity shows their further huge potential to invest money into R&D and factories, while Tesla's $5 billion in equity shows that they are already stretched to the limit for borrowings.

TMC is doing fine.
Far more companies in dire straits than TMC.
TMC has battery packs up to some 110 kWh underway, and TMC products most likely to have superior build quality & long term reliability - patience is a virtue...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-03-20 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-03-20, 02:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why do they have to be EPIC? Why can't they be good, or very good, or quite competitive?
because EPIC is much better than good, very good, or quite competitive? because i want lexus to be a star again and make people excited and have lots of buzz like it once had...

but you're probably right, given the greater saturation of the market and toyota's cautiousness in investing in lexus maybe your view is much more realistic, but i can still want EPIC.

Old 01-03-20, 02:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
reater saturation of the market and toyota's cautiousness in investing in lexus maybe your view is much more realistic, but i can still want EPIC.
EPIC based on my prior experience with body on frame Toyota or Lexus SUVs would be to enhance them slightly. Full-time 4WD, a GX or 4Runner do not need to get bigger, they are perfect, losing the V8 in the GX might be a bad move, definitely do not go turbo. An LX should grow to become a Sequoia size. I would be on the fence if they moved away from solid axle, maybe for the LX.... And don't mess up the powertrain by using more gears like they did in the Tacoma which apparently everyone hates.......so yeah, don't mess it up!
Old 01-03-20, 05:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

I agree with the article 100%
Old 01-04-20, 06:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

For Toyota Motor Co, its Toyota brand finished the year down 7.2% for December and off 2.0% for all of 2019. Its luxury Lexus brand was basically flat off just 0.6% in December and down 0.1% for the full year. Those results were propped up by a 5.6% increase in Lexus SUV sales in 2019, marking the best year ever for the brand in that segment

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edgarst.../#5d169c0267d6

So Lexus sales are flat but Lexus has the best SUV sales ever in 2019? A counterpoint to all the people who sales Lexus SUVs are not doing well.
Old 01-04-20, 06:22 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edgarst.../#5d169c0267d6

So Lexus sales are flat but Lexus has the best SUV sales ever in 2019? A counterpoint to all the people who sales Lexus SUVs are not doing well.
Toyota and Lexus just need to revamp the large SUVs. I don’t think there is any need to do anything with the smaller SUVs. IMO the large SUVs have been neglected for far too long. As soon as the Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, GX and LX get a complete makeover sales should shine. It is odd that these big boys have been forgotten.
Old 01-04-20, 06:43 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Toyota and Lexus just need to revamp the large SUVs. I don’t think there is any need to do anything with the smaller SUVs. IMO the large SUVs have been neglected for far too long. As soon as the Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, GX and LX get a complete makeover sales should shine. It is odd that these big boys have been forgotten.
100% agree, I love my GX just wish the Infotainment was updated. I travel a lot and I pick up basic rentals that have Android Auto and other features my GX doesn't. I think Toyota is in the if it's not broken don't fix it mentality because the GX and other trucks still sell even without updated Infotainment and other features.
Old 01-04-20, 06:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
I love my GX
So what do you love so much about your GX? Is your current GX your first Lexus SUV?
Old 01-04-20, 06:49 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

So what do you love so much about your GX? Is your current GX your first Lexus SUV?
I like the BOF, I like the size, wish it had a little more power. It's comfortable, I can tow my Supra with it for far away track events. Yes it's my first Lexus SUV, I've driven tons of other models RX, LX etc....I also like the LX570.
Old 01-04-20, 06:57 AM
evident
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

I think another stopgap fix would be a hybrid onto the GX or LX- they would capture some massive sales including myself potentially. Their fuel economy would potentially be back to the average of large suv's nowadays (e.g. Merc GLS, BMW X7, Lincold Navigator) with none of the reliability issues of those.
Old 01-04-20, 07:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I like the BOF,.
Nice!

I like the BOF, I like the size, wish it had a little more power. It's comfortable, I can tow my Supra with it for far away track events. Yes it's my first Lexus SUV, I've driven tons of other models RX, LX etc....I also like the LX570.
So has your BOF experience with this Lexus...has it matched or exceeded your expectations of ownership? Plan to keep it a while?
Old 01-04-20, 07:06 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Nice!

So has your BOF experience with this Lexus...has it matched or exceeded your expectations of ownership? Plan to keep it a while?
I plan to keep it a while, I don't daily it due to having a company car so the miles won't go up as fast. If they bring out a newer version with updated infotainment etc...I may upgrade.
Old 01-04-20, 07:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I plan to keep it a while, I don't daily it due to having a company car so the miles won't go up as fast. If they bring out a newer version with updated infotainment etc...I may upgrade.
Nice.. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 01-04-20, 07:07 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
I think another stopgap fix would be a hybrid onto the GX or LX- they would capture some massive sales including myself potentially. Their fuel economy would potentially be back to the average of large suv's nowadays (e.g. Merc GLS, BMW X7, Lincold Navigator) with none of the reliability issues of those.
Agreed. The thirsty 5.7 does not bode well for prospective buyers in 2020. Need substantially better fuel economy and updated user interface.
Old 01-04-20, 07:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by evident
I do think there will be a hybrid coming out at some point. While I do agree that more fuel efficiency is a plus, the LX570 is a $90K with a V8, the LX has never ever been teh leader in fuel economy for its intended segment. Most people dislike start-stop tech. In contrast the Navigator goes turbo and V6, so everyone would just hate on the a V6 in an LX anyways (Toyota upgraded the HP and downsized the Tacoma engines, and it was troll heaven in the media).... Interesting enough, the G550 by Mercedes comes to market it and has the exact same fuel economy as the LX, where is the hyperbole?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-04-20 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals