Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-20, 08:00 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why do they have to be EPIC? Why can't they be good, or very good, or quite competitive? I wonder if your opinion might be a little Bit (pun intended) different if you had prior long term ownership experience. I don't have any prior experience with an NX or RX, but there are certain things that a future GX or LX must-have, and if they move away from that, I would be very unhappy.
Lexus has veen letting their big SUVs sit on the lot for 10+ yrs. It better be an epic release. The last thing they want people to say is "what the hell have you been doing the last 10yrs?" It cannot be another LS500 release or Avalon. It has to be at a minimum on the level of the ES where there was almost universal praise. The competition is at least 2 generations or more ahead of Lexus, so yea it better be epic.
Old 01-04-20, 08:01 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by plex
100% agree, I love my GX just wish the Infotainment was updated. I travel a lot and I pick up basic rentals that have Android Auto and other features my GX doesn't. I think Toyota is in the if it's not broken don't fix it mentality because the GX and other trucks still sell even without updated Infotainment and other features.
I love my 2018 GX as well. I just look away from.the fuel pump and plead ignorance whenever I fill it up. The thing is just so full of personality unlike the digital cars these days.
Old 01-04-20, 09:01 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edgarst.../#5d169c0267d6

So Lexus sales are flat but Lexus has the best SUV sales ever in 2019? A counterpoint to all the people who sales Lexus SUVs are not doing well.
Yup, that 5.6% increase was primarily due to the introduction of whole new model in the UX and its 16275 units.

Every other model division in the SUV lineup closed in the negative

Last edited by coolsaber; 01-04-20 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-04-20, 09:04 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by situman
Lexus has veen letting their big SUVs sit on the lot for 10+ yrs. It better be an epic release. The last thing they want people to say is "what the hell have you been doing the last 10yrs?" It cannot be another LS500 release or Avalon. It has to be at a minimum on the level of the ES where there was almost universal praise. The competition is at least 2 generations or more ahead of Lexus, so yea it better be epic.
Lol forget the compettion, the 4runners 2020 MY gets carplay and AA that the GX didnt get. (Could be a feature they will introduce in MY21 to make this model last until MY23). In addition, having recently rented a corolla for a trip, TSS 2.0 wtf hows this not in the GX yet?

Last edited by coolsaber; 01-04-20 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-04-20, 02:49 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

Lexus is doing fine, especially with solid, if not top financials.
Their financials are certainly not shady, unlike some.

Now if you want Lexus to be the best of the best, as some here want, then that is something else - this may take at least 5-10 years as Lexus electrifies their range.

I am happy with TMC's direction, and I understand that in the past decade, there was some degree of hesitation to play safe, because there were so many engine formats available, and it would have been costly for TMC to have a huge range of small capacity turbos like the Germans.

I agree with Toyota Motor Corp - they should no longer pour huge amounts of money into ICE or turbos.
Look at Mercedes all new 48 volt electric turbo in-line six? It'll probably go down as a financial loss for Benz.

Instead, TMC is continuing to develop their hybrids like the forthcoming hot RAV4 Prime with 0-60 under 6 secs or whatever - while Pres Akio has headed TMC's Electric Division since December 2016.
Hybrids & plug-ins bridge the gap to electrification, yet cost TMC very little money.

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-04-20 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-04-20, 04:20 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Lexus is doing fine, especially with solid, if not top financials.
Their financials are certainly not shady, unlike some.

Now if you want Lexus to be the best of the best, as some here want, then that is something else - this may take at least 5-10 years as Lexus electrifies their range.

I am happy with TMC's direction, and I understand that in the past decade, there was some degree of hesitation to play safe, because there were so many engine formats available, and it would have been costly for TMC to have a huge range of small capacity turbos like the Germans.

I agree with Toyota Motor Corp - they should no longer pour huge amounts of money into ICE or turbos.
Look at Mercedes all new 48 volt electric turbo in-line six? It'll probably go down as a financial loss for Benz.

Instead, TMC is continuing to develop their hybrids like the forthcoming hot RAV4 Prime with 0-60 under 6 secs or whatever - while Pres Akio has headed TMC's Electric Division since December 2016.
Hybrids & plug-ins bridge the gap to electrification, yet cost TMC very little money.
TMC ultimate direction is shrouded in secrecy. Their public facing direction is basically play it safe until the wheels fall off while continously investing into hydrogen/fuel cell, and one off brand enhancement packages in the form of Supra, true F model cars, and LC.

Old 01-06-20, 06:34 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Lol forget the compettion, the 4runners 2020 MY gets carplay and AA that the GX didnt get. (Could be a feature they will introduce in MY21 to make this model last until MY23). In addition, having recently rented a corolla for a trip, TSS 2.0 wtf hows this not in the GX yet?
ok 4 generations behind its competitors and 2 generations behind the 4runner lol.
Old 01-06-20, 07:05 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

ok 4 generations behind its competitors and 2 generations behind the 4runner lol.
It seems a self-destructive path is assured for Lexus according to Koch:

The writing is on the wall for Lexus to emerge with their Limitless multi-platform powertrain vehicle, which looks like a tricked up crossover/suv. What's the hold up?

https://www.lexus.com/concept/lf-1-limitless/

Old 01-06-20, 07:26 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
It seems a self-destructive path is assured for Lexus according to Koch:

The writing is on the wall for Lexus to emerge with their Limitless multi-platform powertrain vehicle, which looks like a tricked up crossover/suv. What's the hold up?

https://www.lexus.com/concept/lf-1-limitless/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VkRCw0urI8
This LF-1 looks like a streamlined RX with the cargo area the size of a UX. I think Lexus needs to somehow merge the RX & GX together for a roomy 3 row and/or 2 row that’s quiet, durable & can tow at least 5,000 lbs.
Old 01-06-20, 09:50 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
This LF-1 looks like a streamlined RX with the cargo area the size of a UX. I think Lexus needs to somehow merge the RX & GX together for a roomy 3 row and/or 2 row that’s quiet, durable & can tow at least 5,000 lbs.
Sounds like you are dreaming of a more affordable LX. Me too.
Old 01-06-20, 10:30 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,056 Likes on 2,568 Posts

That quote is incredibly stupid, just because something is new doesn't make it good.
Old 01-06-20, 11:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
That quote is incredibly stupid, just because something is new doesn't make it good.
i disagree. not all change is good, but it's real and must be dealt with. resisting it will only lead to failure.
Old 01-06-20, 12:08 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Sounds like you are dreaming of a more affordable LX. Me too.
The GX has a lot of great features the RX is missing, but the GX has clumsy handling & gets poor fuel mileage. A turbo 3.5 V-6 Hybrid would be great!
Old 01-06-20, 12:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,056 Likes on 2,568 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i disagree. not all change is good, but it's real and must be dealt with. resisting it will only lead to failure.
Resistance is not futile.
Old 01-06-20, 01:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
gets poor fuel mileage.!
It also has a V8...designed for hauling and towing. 4WD is always work..never off. Engine is from the LS460/Tundra

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-06-20 at 01:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus Confronts Midlife Crisis With Aging SUVs Losing to Rivals