Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Newbie looking to purchase but not sure what model.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-20, 08:13 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I might also suggest the M240i/M235i. The 40i will get the B58 engine, which might be more reliable than the N55. But either way, the M240i will be a little easier to deal with on a daily basis.
Yeah but it doesn't get the sexy rear fenders and the incredible M differential that everyone dreams about. I see people daily their M2s everywhere here and they LOVE them. I think the S55 engine is pretty reliable too. I haven't heard much breakage on those things.
Old 01-10-20, 08:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by 50th
Yes it does have bluetooth but not for the audio system have to use USB cable connection plus no apple car, android play. Honda infotainment system from 2016 miles ahead of the Lexus models in 2015 correct?
The 2015 RC absolutely does have Bluetooth audio streaming. No Apple Car Play or Android Auto, but they can be added for about $700.

Neither Honda or Lexus have great infotainment systems.

The RC as a car is just on another level from the Accord.
Old 01-10-20, 02:23 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The 2015 RC absolutely does have Bluetooth audio streaming. No Apple Car Play or Android Auto, but they can be added for about $700.

Neither Honda or Lexus have great infotainment systems.

The RC as a car is just on another level from the Accord.
Some information i read says otherwise with bluetooth streaming.
Truth from a pro of Honda earth dreams V-tech engine.
Toyota reliability

Yet Scotty drives iS250 and is happy with it.
Bmw high tech cars not a chance to much repairs

Last edited by 50th; 01-10-20 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-10-20, 05:46 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Ah yes, Scotty Killmer...

Be careful. Scotty is all over the place. He has called some Lexus models "money pits" before when literally no one else would say such a thing.

Best to source your opinions from multiple people - or your own experience.

With respect to reliability, I can't say how the RC would hold up long-term, but I've had my IS, which has a lot of the same components as the RC (including Bluetooth streaming ), for 3 years with no major issues. I'd guess the RC would be similarly trouble-free.
Old 01-10-20, 10:21 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Ah yes, Scotty Killmer...

Be careful. Scotty is all over the place. He has called some Lexus models "money pits" before when literally no one else would say such a thing.

Best to source your opinions from multiple people - or your own experience.

With respect to reliability, I can't say how the RC would hold up long-term, but I've had my IS, which has a lot of the same components as the RC (including Bluetooth streaming ), for 3 years with no major issues. I'd guess the RC would be similarly trouble-free.
Yeah, Scotty gets cars loaned or bribed by some manufacturers to review there models. When he doesn't, they get angry, why he never talks about it. His reason is he wants to take few years before he can speak about it.
Take the 2018 Mustang GT 5.0 he said wife drives. He reviewed it's the best V8 engine with list of others funny he didn't mention RC F V8. So i went out shopping test driving the Mustang V8 2018 close to buying it. Anyway couple months later Scotty has another video saying the auto 10 speed transmission was made in China lol, so the wife sold the car when she found out.

Here is another video about 6 speed toyota makes versus 8 speed. What's your take on it is scotty right? RC F has 8 speed will it last like Rc 350 AWD 6 speed?

Kia Stinger member on the board mentioned it as option. Looking at some video reviews looks to me similar of c43 but was made from ex-BMW M series engineer. The 8 speed transmission is on house which is what i'm afraid of and reliability is unknown engine, turbo. Looks fun to drive even beats Mustang GT in 1/4 mile.

​​​​​​

Last edited by 50th; 01-11-20 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-11-20, 05:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Scotty Kilmer is just out for click bait. His videos and their titles are just ridiculous, I don’t know how many times I’ve seen him post a video that says he’s retiring or quitting YouTube or whatever and the video has nothing to to with that. Total tool.

Which is a shame because the actual mechanic stuff he posts is pretty good.
Old 01-11-20, 06:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Think i found alternative, at the same dealership no less, buying my previous Acura from.
2016 Honda coupe touring V6 V-tech 37, 000 miles at cheaper price then any Lexus 350 AWD yet feels quicker with FWD. Yet the styling is all to similar to my old car leather seats, body styling, only inch bigger wheelbase and height compared to the Lexus. Funny how the Honda not changed from my old Acura coupe only the technology is upgraded.
Gives me bluetooth unlike 2015 Lexus models not available, drivers side mirror camera, lane signal safety beeps sort of annoying, wireless charging for phone,. 278 hp with 252 ft/ibs at power to weight ratio of 128 w/kg versus 350 AWD at 129 w/kg same type of transmission 6 speed, and wheel size.

Any suggestions better then the Lexus 350 although do know not in same category as Rc F.

I think this Honda Accord is a far better buy (and car) over an Lexus IS350. I think comfort and life would just be better. (IMO)
Old 01-11-20, 06:30 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

The IS350 handling is telepathic compared to the Accord which is good for FWD but not a sports sedan. If the OP is looking for sporty handling and sports characteristics, the Accord is a poor choice.
Old 01-11-20, 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think this Honda Accord is a far better buy (and car) over an Lexus IS350. I think comfort and life would just be better. (IMO)
Have you driven both cars? They're just entirely different cars that serve customers looking for different things. Accords (up until the current model) are just not very refined or comfortable, they ride hard and they're loud. Interiors are just cheap plastic everywhere. It doesn't have any of the IS or RC's handling ability, or chassis rigidity...
Old 01-11-20, 08:56 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Think i found alternative, at the same dealership no less, buying my previous Acura from.
2016 Honda coupe touring V6 V-tech 37, 000 miles at cheaper price then any Lexus 350 AWD yet feels quicker with FWD. Yet the styling is all to similar to my old car leather seats, body styling, only inch bigger wheelbase and height compared to the Lexus. Funny how the Honda not changed from my old Acura coupe only the technology is upgraded.
Gives me bluetooth unlike 2015 Lexus models not available, drivers side mirror camera, lane signal safety beeps sort of annoying, wireless charging for phone,. 278 hp with 252 ft/ibs at power to weight ratio of 128 w/kg versus 350 AWD at 129 w/kg same type of transmission 6 speed, and wheel size.

Any suggestions better then the Lexus 350 although do know not in same category as Rc F.

Nice catch there. The 2016 and 2017 Accords (sedan and coupes) are the last sedan V6's I know exactly what you're talking about and have driven both. I love the V6 feel and how smooth it is. The power is there. Sure it would be nice if it was AWD or RWD. Long distance drives in ECON mode has proven to get up to 32-33 mpg with a V6. That's pretty cool.

The quicker feel can also be tied into the weight to horsepower ratio. I analyzed hundreds of cars on this metric and you get some good bang for the buck with this vehicle. I could post up this graphic if you want to see it.

The pluses are exactly as you have noted. Has the honda sensing safety features which are a must have and car play. You feel updated in tech that will be good for a long time.

The dual screen set up is one of a kind here. If you're taking a right turn, the further back screen will aid you with a camera without disrupting any navigation/carplay/radio/waze set up on the front touch screen. I think it's a plus to not have to switch screens for basic car actions. One screen doing all isn't really best unless it is able to split or have some dual screen capability (which would require a bigger screen than 8" for it to work well).

If you're mostly dealing with 1 or 2 people for most drives and do not need to put anything in back seat for anything on a regular basis, the coupe is fine.
Otherwise opt for the sedan version where the interior space and 2nd row legroom is just as big as Honda's SUV in the CRV flavor. Comfortable road rider for 4-5 people.

The kicker is I like this generation design ('16-'17) over the redesigned '18+ looks inspired by a blunt nose beluga whale with either turbo 1.5 or 2.0 I4 engines.

Check out these links:
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/2016-ho...s-even-better/
https://www.hotcars.com/20-sick-v6-c...r-under-20000/

Manual is a rare find and a narrow niche market. For 95% of around town driving needs, the auto works well enough. If you want to get aggressive driving in play with an automatic, shift it into 'S' sport mode.

PM me if you have any further questions!
Old 01-11-20, 08:52 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Took the 2016 accord touring coupe for a spin. Kept thinking about some of here posting about the car lackluster performance and styling. The car looked mint condition lady driven low milage regardless i don't drive that much to care about it.

First impressions was i put it in S mode and felt the car was lagging as if it was toeing a boat. Once i put the transmission into D it felt better. Don't know the reason regardless puts me off immediately. The shifter reminds me of my old Honda EX-r back in 1990 i drove which seemed funny and cheap. The gauge cluster wasn't digital but surprisingly nice configuration less likely to break unlike digital screens today.
The exhaust was louder then i expected the ride was abrupt like Mustang GT i tested month ago. Wasn't the transmission shifting but the engine itself not refined or smooth unlike Acura TL 3.2L i drive now. Was listening for any rattle or shakes but so far nothing driving on bumpy wet city streets. The brakes seem less ideal maybe undersized from the 19" wheels and new All season Continental tires which the dealer installed. The view of the wheel well, looked strange, like 4x4 truck, the height looked bad. Need to lower the car and add spacers to bring it back to where it belongs slammed to the ground as other cars are stock. Leather seats seemed bit cheaper not hold up as well as Acura TL or Lexus has to be sure, maybe i'm nitpicking but only going by what i see. Yet very comfortable not at all deal breaker but wondering how well they hold up in the future. The drive wasn't thrilling like RC F i was testing that for sure. Accord yet not bad, compared more so to 350 AWD i took out as well yet i could feel smoother ride in the Lexus. Accord reminded me of a V6 Camaro all the ugly things but without the handling characteristics. If i go in straight line point A to B no turning Honda is all i need. In reality sooner or later road turns and the car needs to adapt to the surface which doesn't do a great job with.

Overall found the accord alright in pinch nothing wrong with it only the pricing and reliability that Honda is named for. Know from owning accord previous experience that parts are lowe quality then Acura brand automobiles. Expect to slowly spend $300- $400 a year to maintain it throughout its entire lifespan. Being priced for car that was made in Sept 2016 at 25K cdn seems ok from Honda dealer but far more what it's worth.

After calculating the mods i would think of doing for example summer tires, new forged wheels, winter tires, wheel spacers, lowering kit springs, glass tint, sequential rear led blinkers rear reflectors lighting. Cost would surpass 30K which is in same ballpark a Rc 350 AWD would bring me only year older for Lexus.

Accord port injection engine maybe sold sooner then later on the dealer lot giving me less options. Need to be more patient to get something i want the journey of specking out used Lexus with dual injection engine niche RC body style will be hard work. Hope it can be done by completion of September 2020. It's only 9 months like a baby ready to be born only Lexus i want.
If things get worse not better IS250 might be fall back plan thanks to Scotty and his suggestions. Bulletproof Lexus!

All4Lexus thanks for your understanding and thoughts. Post those metrics be curious to read. While HP isn't always the best gauge how car performs otherwise Hellcat and Mustangs would be car of the year every year.
Think to call a car a supercar you need to be 1 hp to 10 pounds of weight. Think Lexus Rc F is .06 hp to 10 pounds something like that or RC 350 not sure which?

Last edited by 50th; 01-11-20 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-12-20, 12:43 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Took the 2016 accord touring coupe for a spin. Kept thinking about some of here posting about the car lackluster performance and styling. The car looked mint condition lady driven low milage regardless i don't drive that much to care about it.

First impressions was i put it in S mode and felt the car was lagging as if it was toeing a boat. Once i put the transmission into D it felt better. Don't know the reason regardless puts me off immediately. The shifter reminds me of my old Honda EX-r back in 1990 i drove which seemed funny and cheap. The gauge cluster wasn't digital but surprisingly nice configuration less likely to break unlike digital screens today.
The exhaust was louder then i expected the ride was abrupt like Mustang GT i tested month ago. Wasn't the transmission shifting but the engine itself not refined or smooth unlike Acura TL 3.2L i drive now. Was listening for any rattle or shakes but so far nothing driving on bumpy wet city streets. The brakes seem less ideal maybe undersized from the 19" wheels and new All season Continental tires which the dealer installed. The view of the wheel well, looked strange, like 4x4 truck, the height looked bad. Need to lower the car and add spacers to bring it back to where it belongs slammed to the ground as other cars are stock. Leather seats seemed bit cheaper not hold up as well as Acura TL or Lexus has to be sure, maybe i'm nitpicking but only going by what i see. Yet very comfortable not at all deal breaker but wondering how well they hold up in the future. The drive wasn't thrilling like RC F i was testing that for sure. Accord yet not bad, compared more so to 350 AWD i took out as well yet i could feel smoother ride in the Lexus. Accord reminded me of a V6 Camaro all the ugly things but without the handling characteristics. If i go in straight line point A to B no turning Honda is all i need. In reality sooner or later road turns and the car needs to adapt to the surface which doesn't do a great job with.

Overall found the accord alright in pinch nothing wrong with it only the pricing and reliability that Honda is named for. Know from owning accord previous experience that parts are lowe quality then Acura brand automobiles. Expect to slowly spend $300- $400 a year to maintain it throughout its entire lifespan. Being priced for car that was made in Sept 2016 at 25K cdn seems ok from Honda dealer but far more what it's worth.

After calculating the mods i would think of doing for example summer tires, new forged wheels, winter tires, wheel spacers, lowering kit springs, glass tint, sequential rear led blinkers rear reflectors lighting. Cost would surpass 30K which is in same ballpark a Rc 350 AWD would bring me only year older for Lexus.

Accord port injection engine maybe sold sooner then later on the dealer lot giving me less options. Need to be more patient to get something i want the journey of specking out used Lexus with dual injection engine niche RC body style will be hard work. Hope it can be done by completion of September 2020. It's only 9 months like a baby ready to be born only Lexus i want.
If things get worse not better IS250 might be fall back plan thanks to Scotty and his suggestions. Bulletproof Lexus!

All4Lexus thanks for your understanding and thoughts. Post those metrics be curious to read. While HP isn't always the best gauge how car performs otherwise Hellcat and Mustangs would be car of the year every year.
Think to call a car a supercar you need to be 1 hp to 10 pounds of weight. Think Lexus Rc F is .06 hp to 10 pounds something like that or RC 350 not sure which?
Check out this pictures. It may not be current for 2019 cars but you get the idea!
For starters, look at the far right green dot. It represents the BMW 3 Series 320i. It has a high sluggish fun factor (lower metric means more fun!) but low cost factor.
The far left green dot represents BMW 3 Series with the V6 340I. The fun factor is significantly improved over the 320i, at a greater cost.

Fun factors less than 12 pounds per HP start to get a wide range of cost factors (eg more exotic vehicles with high price tag and higher HP's).
For a given fun factor, vehicles at the low end of the cost factor range (think vertically on the chart) offer the best fun value for it's cost.

The Lexus GS and GS F are considered here. At the time of initial gathering, I did not include the RC F. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Here's an example cross range of cars to look at.
Obviously you can see that a Mercedes S550 Maybach has a fun factor of 11.17 with a cost factor more than double of a Lexus LS 460 L.
A Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack sports a fun factor of 9.07, with a very low cost factor of 4,409. Compare this to Mercedes S-Class S600 which has a similar fun factor of 9.19, yet nearly 4.2x higher cost factor at 18,561. It means you can get crazy fun without breaking the bank. A car that is worthy of similar comparison to Dodge Charger R/T is the Chevrolet SS (9.60 and 4,859)

This approach would have you looking at vehicles that you would never consider, and avoid cars that may be too high of a cost for the same amount of fun.

Old 01-12-20, 02:30 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
Check out this pictures. It may not be current for 2019 cars but you get the idea!
For starters, look at the far right green dot. It represents the BMW 3 Series 320i. It has a high sluggish fun factor (lower metric means more fun!) but low cost factor.
The far left green dot represents BMW 3 Series with the V6 340I. The fun factor is significantly improved over the 320i, at a greater cost.

Fun factors less than 12 pounds per HP start to get a wide range of cost factors (eg more exotic vehicles with high price tag and higher HP's).
For a given fun factor, vehicles at the low end of the cost factor range (think vertically on the chart) offer the best fun value for it's cost.

The Lexus GS and GS F are considered here. At the time of initial gathering, I did not include the RC F. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Here's an example cross range of cars to look at.
Obviously you can see that a Mercedes S550 Maybach has a fun factor of 11.17 with a cost factor more than double of a Lexus LS 460 L.
A Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack sports a fun factor of 9.07, with a very low cost factor of 4,409. Compare this to Mercedes S-Class S600 which has a similar fun factor of 9.19, yet nearly 4.2x higher cost factor at 18,561. It means you can get crazy fun without breaking the bank. A car that is worthy of similar comparison to Dodge Charger R/T is the Chevrolet SS (9.60 and 4,859)

This approach would have you looking at vehicles that you would never consider, and avoid cars that may be too high of a cost for the same amount of fun.

How do you measure fun factor? Has the OP considered a Model 3 Performance? About the same cost as an RCF but its faster and less cost to run. The only drawback is that its not a beauty queen
Old 01-12-20, 02:52 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EZZ
How do you measure fun factor? Has the OP considered a Model 3 Performance? About the same cost as an RCF but its faster and less cost to run. The only drawback is that its not a beauty queen
Fun Factor = Car's Weight in Pounds divided by Car's Horsepower

The BMW 320i example has 1 HP working hard to push 19.17 pounds of car. It will feel a lot more sluggish than a Lexus GS with a fun factor of 11.98 ( 1 HP pushing 12 pounds of car). The lower the Fun Factor, the more power to move the car around on the roads.

Just keeping it simple here.

Old 01-13-20, 12:24 AM
50th
Driver School Candidate

All4Lexus thanks for the information. Guessing there are many more variables that go into driving also handling etc.. One aspect i think about is the price of which i purchased. If overpaid for vehicle really wanting and like the enjoyment factor has bittersweet feeling. Also if car is unreliable constantly needed to be "maintained" like euro brand engineers propagate, in real terms they break down from road use not durable parts or design. No matter the ride quality or fun factor it has strain on basic needs to use a car for reliable basic transportation. If a car adds some perks that you never expected it's bonus. There has to be breaking point cost being to high to enjoy a ride at least in my mind.
Decade later my review on Acura TL i bought was the great deal i got while the ride is superb and reliable is everything you can ask for luxury car.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking to purchase but not sure what model.