Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Newbie looking to purchase but not sure what model.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-20, 06:03 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 50th
There has to be breaking point cost being to high to enjoy a ride at least in my mind.
No problem! You got it. At the end of the day, cars are just an expense. We all often lose sight of it. How much are you willing to throw away daily on a set of wheels to get around town? $10? $15? Multiply this number by 30 and presto ($10 daily = $300 monthly, $15 daily = $450 monthly, your payment is that number. doubling that or tripling it means you're throwing a lot of $ away and perhaps you can afford to do so. There's a price for road freedom ! Be smart and enjoy the ride than be foolish and go broke.

Old 01-13-20, 08:00 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
Fun Factor = Car's Weight in Pounds divided by Car's Horsepower

The BMW 320i example has 1 HP working hard to push 19.17 pounds of car. It will feel a lot more sluggish than a Lexus GS with a fun factor of 11.98 ( 1 HP pushing 12 pounds of car). The lower the Fun Factor, the more power to move the car around on the roads.

Just keeping it simple here.

Horsepower doesn't equal fun. Power to weight doesn't equal fun either. Fun is subjective.

Old 01-13-20, 08:15 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,626 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
The far left green dot represents BMW 3 Series with the V6 340I. The fun factor is significantly improved over the 320i, at a greater cost.
Small correction here, as the 3 Series doesn't use a V6. I don't think they have ever offered one.
Old 01-13-20, 08:29 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Small correction here, as the 3 Series doesn't use a V6. I don't think they have ever offered one.
I believe you are correct. BMW offers an inline 6.
Old 01-13-20, 12:06 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fun factor he got it right the other intangibles. Guess why i liked my old Acura so much not lot of hp 200 with 188 lft/bs but at 3200 lbs made the ride feel smooth quick.
Intriguing researching 2017 mazda mx-5 gt automatic fastback retractable has surprisingly Lexus type reliability even the skyactivX engine which Toyota will borrow. Price isn't bad at all.
​​​​​​

Last edited by 50th; 01-13-20 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-13-20, 09:52 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZZ
Honestly, if you're thinking RCF, go check out M2s. Maintenance doesn't seem too bad on those and it's cheaper new. The space in the M2 seems better in the back seats (back seats in the RC is a joke). It will also spank the RCF in just about every performance metric and may be the best BmW in the market.
Maybe i will try only problem i see is the automatic transmission isn't dual clutch. Don't know enough to write about it being a problem or not. Reliability on 240i models in 2017 haven't seen it. Since the engine is inline six might make it more smooth and reliable. Yet BMW's are known to leak oil which i had with older VW passat head gasket never worked right no matter how many times it was put on. Car just leaked oil everywhere which isn't some car i want to take a chance on. If your heard otherwise please let me know.

​​​​https://www.wardsauto.com/2017/2017-...l-dohc-turbo-6

Last edited by 50th; 01-13-20 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-13-20, 10:26 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I still believe the most fun per dollar in a car useable as a daily driver is the Kia Stinger. It has been on the market for a couple of years so the new problems are worked out. The V-6 performance is great and the ride is pretty comfortable. The back seat is large and the hatchback lets you carry a lot of stuff. There are big discounts and an incentive for a lease so it is affordable. The warranty is also pretty good.

The Genesis G-70 is more fun at the cost of rear seat room and trunk space.
Old 01-13-20, 10:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I still believe the most fun per dollar in a car useable as a daily driver is the Kia Stinger. It has been on the market for a couple of years so the new problems are worked out. The V-6 performance is great and the ride is pretty comfortable. The back seat is large and the hatchback lets you carry a lot of stuff. There are big discounts and an incentive for a lease so it is affordable. The warranty is also pretty good.

The Genesis G-70 is more fun at the cost of rear seat room and trunk space.

The G70 also has a much nicer interior.
Old 01-13-20, 11:48 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZZ
Honestly, if you're thinking RCF, go check out M2s. Maintenance doesn't seem too bad on those and it's cheaper new. The space in the M2 seems better in the back seats (back seats in the RC is a joke). It will also spank the RCF in just about every performance metric and may be the best BmW in the market.
Maybe i will try only problem i see is the automatic transmission isn't dual clutch. Don't know enough to write about it being a problem or not. Reliability on 240i models in 2017 haven't seen it. Since the engine is inline six might make it more smooth and reliable. Yet BMW's are known to leak oil which i had with older VW passat head gasket never worked right no matter how many times it was put on. Car just leaked oil everywhere which isn't some car i want to take a chance on. If your heard otherwise please let me know.

Old 01-14-20, 03:42 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by 50th
The ZF 8-speed used by BMW (and Audi, and a host of other manufacturers) is one of the best torque converter automatics available. Since you were entertaining the possibility of a V6 Accord with its old 6-speed, you will have no complaints whatsoever.

And BMWs are known by who to leak oil? I've been driving them for 22 years with nary a drop, and it doesn't show up as a common problem on any of the forums I frequent. Now the N63/S63 twin-turbo V8 is known to burn oil, but that's a different thing entirely, and it's just that one engine design, due to the turbochargers being in the valley between the cylinder heads. Not an issue with the N55/B58's single turbo, which is mounted low and to the side of the engine block.
Old 01-14-20, 01:42 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by geko29
The ZF 8-speed used by BMW (and Audi, and a host of other manufacturers) is one of the best torque converter automatics available. Since you were entertaining the possibility of a V6 Accord with its old 6-speed, you will have no complaints whatsoever.

And BMWs are known by who to leak oil? I've been driving them for 22 years with nary a drop, and it doesn't show up as a common problem on any of the forums I frequent. Now the N63/S63 twin-turbo V8 is known to burn oil, but that's a different thing entirely, and it's just that one engine design, due to the turbochargers being in the valley between the cylinder heads. Not an issue with the N55/B58's single turbo, which is mounted low and to the side of the engine block.
Thanks give it test drive. Being direct injection inline 6 there is maintenance to clean up the valves from carbon build up. New technology has the PCV bypass so it's no longer an issue. Also the spark plug on the engine is underneath the engine hard to get to which is pain. Cooling system issues crumbling from plastic parts needing replacement.
Problem is finding a German specialized mechanic to get it serviced which cost less than dealer but lot more then my Japanese specialized mechanic i known for years. Feel unnecessary maintenance has to be done on 240i to hope preserve the lifespan of the engine or turbo. Any mods maybe problem also seeing the ZF transmission works perfectly with how its tuned. Wrong tune on ECU may ruin the transmission like Chrysler trucks have done bad job of programming there engine to the transmission.
Time will tell if the 240i will complete 100K miles without issues unlike a Lexus.
Toyota supra is using that BMW b58 engine intriguing.
Great engine b58 and ZF 8 speed transmission. Only problem is the sensors going bad and cooling the engine. B58 engine is closed deck design which restricts flow thus needing external module to cool the engine.

https://youtu.be/1W1KyFRgpzQ?t=395

Biggest problem is the timing chain is located in the back of the engine at the firewall. If it breaks the engine needs to be removed in order to fix the Vanos system which huge expensive and not weekend mechanic could do.

Ecu unit placed near strut tower not covered guessing they want to help dissipate heat better uncovered but long term may not be good.

As far the turbocharger electric actuator is mounted to control the wastegate valve a heat shield is wrapped around it to protect it.

Last edited by 50th; 01-15-20 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-15-20, 06:49 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Life is too short- you are analyzing potential issues that will likely never occur.
Test drive the cars and buy the one u like the best for your budget. Get extended warranty for piece of mind.

BMW customer service is very good covering major issues on known problems well after warranty is expired.

Old 01-15-20, 07:20 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

If you are worried about reliability, well, the Lexus would be a fantastic option.

Plus, you're getting an NA six-cylinder (or in the F, a V8) - something that is hard to come by with other brands.

Even then, modern BMW 6-cylinders are pretty reliable. Sure the N-series of I6's have their minor issues, but if you stay on top of those you'll be fine.

Just give them a shot. And of course I will be waiting for photos lol.
Old 01-15-20, 03:02 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Glad i driven a 2017 BMW M240i it was surprisingly great comparably to Rc-F low end torque plenty of HP. Ride is splendid. Comfortable ride small, nimble coupe feels just what i'm looking for liked it a lot. Great low end speed perfect for majority of my city driving habits. Although Rc-F may have more top end power at higher RPM where can i realistically use it if only at the track which i will never visit.

Problem with M240i seats aren't leather unlike RC-F. M240I are more adjustable not pushing my upper back forward. Doubt i could drive Rc-F for long distance before my upper back started to hurt being hunched over or tightness began in my lats upper back and shoulders.

The quality of the 2017 M240i was not what i expect from BMW. Lexus RC in all trim levels does better job even my 2006 Acura TL and old CL interior was better looking.Not saying the layout was bad but materials plastic seems cheap like domestic american car even 2018 Mustang GT i drove had better interior then BMW.
Trying to justify myself the lack of quality in the interior of M240i because i'm so intoxicated with the auto ZF 8 speed transmission and turbo inline six b58 engine. Trunk space is great maybe styling on exterior is bit bland compared to the Lexus RC.

When beginning my journey observing and researching RC coupes i'm being little more jaded or tired on its exterior styling. When originally observing and driving the RC models on dealer lots my eyes were like eggs stuck out, observing its shape and it's contours loving it. Now i'm used to the body style taking it for granted unlike before.

Decisions will be trying to locate 2015 RC-F in the spring and summer if my plan fails i might forgo the Rc 350 AWD all together and opt for 2017 BMW M240i in RWD auto 8 speed transmission or take the popular X drive whatever is available in the colour i want.

Am i making a big mistake choosing 2017 M240i RWD or X-drive over Rc-350 AWD?

Only reason is i may be able to get BMW in RWD unlike AWD 350 which is only option available in my location.

Now the big question or decision is, should i wait be patient locating RC-F 2015 in next few months. Or just focus on finding 2017 BMW 240i RWD which certainly be coming off 36 month lease in the same time period as Rc-F. Rare to find RC-F yet cost might be more to purchase then younger BMW of 2 years. Decisions Decisions....???

Facts are BMW wheels suck need to upgrade to 19" tires and concave rims. Exhaust might need to change at least quad tips and rear diffuser. More mods on BMW can be done on M240i much more than M2 or Lexus Rc-F which doesn't need a thing. Cost of ownership of hanging onto the car for decade or more feel Lexus might cost me less to maintain. Almost want to buy both of them one for winter other summer, Lol....

Last edited by 50th; 01-15-20 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-15-20, 03:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

I think the 2 series looks like an econobox - pretty bad. while i haven't driven one, i'm sure it's a WONDERFUL car to drive.
the rc is kinda old, and way too bulky and heavy, but it still looks worlds better than the 2 series to me.
50th - you've posted a ton about maintenance worries and engineering details... if that's really a big concern, get the lexus.
if you want to have fun with a car that is still likely to be reliable, but may have issues down the road, get the 2 series.
kinda depends on how long you see yourself keeping the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking to purchase but not sure what model.