Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Newbie looking to purchase but not sure what model.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-20, 03:21 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think the 2 series looks like an econobox - pretty bad. while i haven't driven one, i'm sure it's a WONDERFUL car to drive.
the rc is kinda old, and way too bulky and heavy, but it still looks worlds better than the 2 series to me.
50th - you've posted a ton about maintenance worries and engineering details... if that's really a big concern, get the lexus.
if you want to have fun with a car that is still likely to be reliable, but may have issues down the road, get the 2 series.
kinda depends on how long you see yourself keeping the vehicle.
+1, and the seat comfort issues you mentioned could surely be addressed if you had time to really fiddle with them and adjust them to your liking. For whatever it's worth I found the RC F's seats to be very comfortable, even more so than my IS's.
Old 01-15-20, 03:29 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I personally would get RCF over M240i.
Its not even comparable imo. Put a decent exhaust on it and enjoy. The 2015 MY was the first for RCF and it did have issues for fuel pump as I recall. Overall i think its a good GT car with an amazing NA V8 - unfortunately the 8speed trans and frankenstein chassis prevented it from being truly great.

M2 or M4 would be better Competition for RCF. The M4 Interior is much higher quality than M240/M2. Test drive them, just keep in mind the DCT trans is not smooth as auto but in Sport + mode and trans in fastest setting will give u the quickest shifts next to F1 car. It lets you bang into gears - lots of fun.

I would forget RC350 altogether.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-15-20 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-15-20, 11:22 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best thing about BMW is they do all the maintenace oil changes until the 4 year warranty is finished. So i can get another year before every sensor goes wonky and need to shell out money to fix.
BMW interior isn't as posh or nice compared to RC this comes into play years from now when it will look very dated and old. Nicer interior often feels better when you sit in it for years or maybe i'm just picky that way.
Option i have on M240i is to strip removing the existing dakota or artificial leather seats and replace them with napa leather $1000 per seat. Adding carbon fiber trim around the interior also can make the cabin being more pleasant. Infotainment isn't bad less options then M3 M4 class but overall can't complain some models come with apple carplay.
Often hear best time to buy used car is 5th or 4th year since the depreciation value is better. Buying 2017 three year old car with about half depreciated comes around the same price as 2016 Rc 350AWD.

Difficult to find either RC-F i want or M240I RWD but i'm confident i can snag a decent off lease loaded options i want in M240i Xdrive.

While M2 might be pricier then m240i with similar performance but heard any M series has limited lifespan compared to other BMW models hoping M240i is more reliable then m2.
Know i won't pull the trigger on purchasing a car until all my options finding RC-f are exhausted. Waiting until April and May until Market becomes flooded in my location with RC cars the type of model i'm not to sure but worth the wait before i have any regrets.

Last edited by 50th; 01-15-20 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-16-20, 05:01 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by 50th
Facts are BMW wheels suck need to upgrade to 19" tires and concave rims.
Put UHP summer tires on your new rims, and keep the factory ones for winters. That's worked out very well for me.

Option i have on M240i is to strip removing the existing dakota or artificial leather seats and replace them with napa leather $1000 per seat.
Personally I wouldn't drop $2k on this (or more if you're also talking about the back seat). The Dakota leather isn't the prettiest, but it wears really well.

While M2 might be pricier then m240i with similar performance but heard any M series has limited lifespan compared to other BMW models hoping M240i is more reliable then m2.
This reputation is mostly due to the insanely tight bearing clearances on the S85 V10 in the E60 M5/M6, and the S65 V8 in the E9X M3, which was the same engine with two cylinders lopped off. Those would eventually shear, resulting in damage to the crankshaft. The fix is to install thinner aftermarket bearings before the factory ones fail. But those were bespoke engines specifically for the M cars with a lot of "firsts", and not related to any other engine in the lineup.

By contrast, the S55 in the M2 is a modified version of the very reliable N55. Differences include a closed-deck engine block, lightweight crankshaft, strengthened pistons, different valve material, twin turbos, twin fuel pumps, active exhaust and revised intercoolers. It should take a thrashing for years without complaint.
Old 01-16-20, 07:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Best thing about BMW is they do all the maintenace oil changes until the 4 year warranty is finished. So i can get another year before every sensor goes wonky and need to shell out money to fix.
BMW interior isn't as posh or nice compared to RC this comes into play years from now when it will look very dated and old. Nicer interior often feels better when you sit in it for years or maybe i'm just picky that way.
Option i have on M240i is to strip removing the existing dakota or artificial leather seats and replace them with napa leather $1000 per seat. Adding carbon fiber trim around the interior also can make the cabin being more pleasant. Infotainment isn't bad less options then M3 M4 class but overall can't complain some models come with apple carplay.
Often hear best time to buy used car is 5th or 4th year since the depreciation value is better. Buying 2017 three year old car with about half depreciated comes around the same price as 2016 Rc 350AWD.

Difficult to find either RC-F i want or M240I RWD but i'm confident i can snag a decent off lease loaded options i want in M240i Xdrive.

Know i won't pull the trigger on purchasing a car until all my options finding RC-f are exhausted. Waiting until April and May until Market becomes flooded in my location with RC cars the type of model i'm not to sure but worth the wait before i have any regrets.
why will the market become flooded with RC in May?

you seem to be trying to talk yourself into the 2 series. it's a fun car no doubt, but replacing seat leather ($$) and included maintenance for 4 years (worth what, $500?) don't seem compelling.
Old 01-16-20, 01:59 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

why will the market become flooded with RC in May?

you seem to be trying to talk yourself into the 2 series. it's a fun car no doubt, but replacing seat leather ($$) and included maintenance for 4 years (worth what, $500?) don't seem compelling.
More i think about it M240i is sleeper many don't think about. At least i never dreamed in considering BMW of any type. After driving it i can see the addiction to the brand for better or worse loyal customers keep returning.

RC models in my part of the world had huge sale spike in the months of April peeking into August in that particular year i'm looking for. Every model year since they been created there wasn't as much Rc sold as the one year and months i described. Don't know for sure if my assumption holds true being more used Rc up for sale or lease returns. Also can be said Rc owners easily could of sold them lot sooner then expected in the model year that had that spike in sales.
Law of averages models are bought and returned for the most part same month as they bought initially. Maybe advantage mid year sales spike chance to test drive cars on the lot rather waiting for promised new inventory in the spring. Only few loyal customers order blindly without inspecting the style or drive and feel of the new car..
Don't know exact model lineup sold in that initial spike in sales. Do know more people took the premium F sport trim levels 68% then the rest of RC's lineup. So maybe 350 AWD F sport were majority of sales unsure of type of colour chosen from interior to the exterior. If there is best year to snag a model, trim level, colour, choice i want this spring and summer is the best i can hope for.

Usually after warranty runs out with luxury cars people often trade them in for newer models. The used car market for Rc-F are slow in winter months and heat up as the weather warms up or when dealer inventory increases. My hope and logic about the Rc sales figures for the first year model spike can often trickle down to the used car market. Although my perception maybe totally wrong or not certain ,worth the wait or risk to try. rather purchasing something that i may later regret having a chance opportunity middle of the year.

While do see a steady decline of Rc model sales in my part of the world. Seeing people who bought the car style initially get bored of purchasing same model with very few changes to engine, body style maybe the headlights or grill otherwise the very exact car. Which makes me believe Lexus owners may switch brands and dump there trade in on dealer lots they don't want to keep in inventory. Seen Benz dealer auction off Solar colour Lexus 350 AWD from trade-in because they don't want it in there used car inventory mixed with there own pre-owned models.

Then again each calendar day passes i may miss opportunity for decent second choice car BMW M240i passing on the loaded options and correct colour choice i want. Also it maybe difficult to find people finding it popular car to own paying premium in used car market.Difficult decision to make.

Struggling to see my options trying to talk myself out of the lexus mundane lineup of 350 AWD all together only concentrating on finding a used RC-F having little hope and faith by the day.

While M240i isn't as bad from my initial review of the dull base interior. BMW achieved perfectly the layout and trim levels carefully. While true the higher luxury class the better the trim levels. Comparing the Lexus trim levels hard plastic is used also accented with carbon fiber door plate window controls while the M240i i tested in base model looked stark but could be upgraded similarly.

Yes the high grain leather seats Napa i believe in Lexus look great similar to Acura but also have leatherette options on some RC models even heard RC-F seats as well on base model.

Meanwhile the Dakota leather seats are adequate even wear less then napa leather or higher merino leather. Just adding the bucket front seat pulling off the leatherette and substituting napa leather is available option for M240i Highly unlikely i would do it but option if the summer heat the Dakota leather becomes to hot to sit in, which is common problem otherwise very durable.
BMW m240i doesn't have blind spot monitoring passive lane safety and side mirror folding on higher option upgrade with apple carplay.
Like the navigation in rear mirror display. Cluster traditional but well laid out no problem with digital LED screen burning out. Infotainment easy to use plus giving display of HP and Torque gauges unlike RC-F giving only useless information G's pulling through a corner on tiny display.

Last edited by 50th; 01-17-20 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-27-20, 12:24 AM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by geko29
Put UHP summer tires on your new rims, and keep the factory ones for winters. That's worked out very well for me.

Personally I wouldn't drop $2k on this (or more if you're also talking about the back seat). The Dakota leather isn't the prettiest, but it wears really well.

This reputation is mostly due to the insanely tight bearing clearances on the S85 V10 in the E60 M5/M6, and the S65 V8 in the E9X M3, which was the same engine with two cylinders lopped off. Those would eventually shear, resulting in damage to the crankshaft. The fix is to install thinner aftermarket bearings before the factory ones fail. But those were bespoke engines specifically for the M cars with a lot of "firsts", and not related to any other engine in the lineup.

By contrast, the S55 in the M2 is a modified version of the very reliable N55. Differences include a closed-deck engine block, lightweight crankshaft, strengthened pistons, different valve material, twin turbos, twin fuel pumps, active exhaust and revised intercoolers. It should take a thrashing for years without complaint.

Did you mean the b58 engine has those new differences versus the n55 engine?
Closed deck is on b58 engine newer better for power upgrades up until the auto ZF 8 speed transmission specs range from 233 ft/lbs to 737 ft/lbs with no difficulty.

Love the M2 wide body stye curved quarter panels fenders sunken doors reminds me of the RC. Bigger wider 19" wheels have better handling but rougher ride in the city. M240i has plain cardboard box bland body slender reminds me of my Acura CL.
Going to take it for ride see how stiff the suspension is and city ride quality M2 2016 see the difference between the m240i
Old 01-27-20, 03:54 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

Did you mean the b58 engine has those new differences versus the n55 engine?
Closed deck is on b58 engine newer better for power upgrades up until the auto ZF 8 speed transmission specs range from 233 ft/lbs to 737 ft/lbs with no difficulty.
No I did not--I was specifically talking about the S55. Though the b58 has a closed deck, none of the other upgrades apply. It is still single turbo, does not have a lightweight crankshaft or strengthened pistons, has a single HPFP, etc.
Old 01-27-20, 11:49 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by geko29
No I did not--I was specifically talking about the S55. Though the b58 has a closed deck, none of the other upgrades apply. It is still single turbo, does not have a lightweight crankshaft or strengthened pistons, has a single HPFP, etc.
B58 has forged crankshaft stronger engine. S55 has crank hub failure if i'm wrong and fixed it before 2016 M2 model i drove. Also air leaks, valve covers, oil pan etc. Even heard from the M2 i drove with 19 000 miles on it pulley squeak, or harmonic balancer pulley squeak. Only couple months of warranty with four owners if you can believe it. None wants this car changed hands so much. Even BMW dealer traded it for other cars swapped to independent used car lot.

2016 M2 driven found it stiff in a solid way difficult to drive, not easy for daily car. M2 Rear drive convinced me needing X-drive instead feel m240i X-drive is better for riding around in city traffic which i do 90% of the time. M2 is more of track, weekend out on back roads in the countryside rather my year round city travels. Nice car if i had the option for second vehicle having to own it might be cool once in awhile driving it. Driving m2 gets tiresome and heavy if driven daily all year round.
M240i is better choice meeting my driving habits fun car and maybe reliable b58 engine produced by BMW. Now it's waiting game only seen one m240i meeting my specs and was sold at over value at out of town BMW dealer. Whoever says BMW's depreciate fast hasn't seen the pricing for 2017 model years in these parts. Makes the 2015 LEXUS Rc 350 AWD back in play maybe cheaper to purchase although 2 years older less fun better looking yet dependable and reliable, safe bet.

As for RC F i was looking for was just sold by SA that there preping it it out of country. Looks to me many buyers of niche cars like RC F are coming in my country purchasing cars unseen at cheaper price then at home. Doubt the Rc-F availability or pricing used will be impossible to own with my specifics. Hopefully the markup with used BMW isn't the case which is at least 13% higher versus Lexus in US funds.
Aint easy buying used cars very competitive market place unless the warmer months the flood of cars becomes larger to choose from on dealer lots.

Last edited by 50th; 01-28-20 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-28-20, 05:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

just get the M2 already.
Old 01-28-20, 06:15 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Do you need back seats? The RC back seats are almost worthless. If you don't, there is a nice 2 door called Supra
Old 01-28-20, 06:33 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

I test-drove an M235i this weekend. Overall - fantastic car! It has plenty of power, though certainly not true "M" levels of power, backed by a great 8-speed auto as always with BMWs. The ride, even in Sport+, was comfortable. The seats held me in nicely, but not as aggressively as even the F Sport seats on my IS - probably would be great for a daily driver. It's not really sporty per se, but it is fun to drive. I liked it.

Old 01-28-20, 06:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

most bmw interiors are so (black) plasticky...
Old 01-28-20, 07:05 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

most bmw interiors are so (black) plasticky...
You know what, I am glad you posted that. I would say the interior was disappointing. Even compared with the GTI I drove the same day, the 2-series interior didn't feel like much of an upgrade, if any. Lots of plastic, with an unappealing grain texture.

I will say, in its defense, the M-Sport steering wheel is nice. Soft leather, perfect 10-and-2 notches.
Old 01-28-20, 09:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
You know what, I am glad you posted that. I would say the interior was disappointing. Even compared with the GTI I drove the same day, the 2-series interior didn't feel like much of an upgrade, if any. Lots of plastic, with an unappealing grain texture.

I will say, in its defense, the M-Sport steering wheel is nice. Soft leather, perfect 10-and-2 notches.
unless you're in a 5/7/x5/x7 the interiors are rather wanting... and a 2 is all about the drive.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking to purchase but not sure what model.