Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Newbie looking to purchase but not sure what model.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-20, 10:19 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
most bmw interiors are so (black) plasticky...
All interiors are plasticky some manufacturers hide it better with different textures. If you really look carefully comparing models such as the Rc vs 2 series BMW's i see no real difference in quality excluding the seats. M2 has faux suede accents on doors and seats making it less ordinary.
Old 01-31-20, 05:10 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by 50th
All interiors are plasticky some manufacturers hide it better with different textures. If you really look carefully comparing models such as the Rc vs 2 series BMW's i see no real difference in quality excluding the seats. M2 has faux suede accents on doors and seats making it less ordinary.
No way. The RC has a much higher-quality interior than the 2-series. Don't trust photos. In the RC, you don't get that unpleasant grainy texture with its plastics, and the dashboard and doors are softer than in the 2-series. The seats, especially in the F Sport, are far more comfortable especially if you include the base seats in the 2-series, which come wrapped in an appallingly hard "Dakota Leather".

Like bit said though, the 2-series is a driver's car, and a pretty good one. So, maybe you don't care too much about interior quality. However, I think the RC would be a more complete experience if you can ignore zero to sixty times.

edit: Now that I think about it, forget the RC - even the lower-priced IS has nicer materials than the 2-series.

Last edited by arentz07; 01-31-20 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-31-20, 05:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

"quality" of interior is different than the design and choice of materials used. something can be high quality but very cheap looking (corolla). just as something can look expensive but be very low quality (jaguar)

an m2 is basically a 'pocket rocket' and faux suede inserts on the doors don't make it luxurious
Old 02-01-20, 10:11 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
No way. The RC has a much higher-quality interior than the 2-series. Don't trust photos. In the RC, you don't get that unpleasant grainy texture with its plastics, and the dashboard and doors are softer than in the 2-series. The seats, especially in the F Sport, are far more comfortable especially if you include the base seats in the 2-series, which come wrapped in an appallingly hard "Dakota Leather".

Like bit said though, the 2-series is a driver's car, and a pretty good one. So, maybe you don't care too much about interior quality. However, I think the RC would be a more complete experience if you can ignore zero to sixty times.

edit: Now that I think about it, forget the RC - even the lower-priced IS has nicer materials than the 2-series.
Driven both cars and yes the RC is comfortable to my liking with it's styling. Looking more closely it's all plastic like the 2 series BMW's Sure the textured plastic is all over the place dash doors on 2 series unlike Lexus.. Don't forget RC console is entirely matte plastic looking very dated and should i say very cheap as well if not more so then 2 series. With the 2 series trim accents of carbon fiber can be added for gran making it look lot better. Find the cockpit layout dash seat lot more pleasing in 240i versus the RC despite its digital toy gauge. Rc cluster digital dash does show engine temperature which the 2 series forgot to add in the 2017 m240i mode, go figure maybe you can code it to show on the gauge.
Dakota leather ain't bad unlike the other plastic upholstery in base models. Seat is comfortable don't have complaint in fact prefer it better then RC-F if you believe it. Felt in RC-F was pushing my shoulders upper back forward not relaxing unlike the M240i. Could be i didn't do good job adjusting the seat but from initial drive didn't like it or cared to much of the Lexus seats.

Again making me second guess myself between 2015 RC 350 AWD vs 2017 M240i Xdrive with 19 000 miles vs Lexus RC 350 AWD at 55 000 miles.... Lack of low end torque in Lexus vs M250i makes the driving experience dull and bland. Also looked upon additional cost of gas mileage and tire cost puts the BMW on top saving me $ 6000 over 10 year lifespan of ownership. Again the price difference would almost negate from initial purchasing the BMW at higher cost versus the Lexus Rc 350 AWD. Maybe i would be $1000 over ten year period which certainly would leave my pockets for maintenance of the BMW after the warranty year is up. Decisions decisions wait and see which car will fall in my lap first in order to make the correct purchase.

One side is telling me the driving experience is overrated and will get old quick with the m240i as the cost of maintenance or surprise faults stop my the car from moving.
Then the other hand Lexus is mundane transportation wrapped up in very expensive skin dings or broken headlights will cost same as any BMW coolant hoses parts for maintenance. Do need scan tool for very sure with the BMW.

How's this even possible?

Last edited by 50th; 02-01-20 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-08-20, 05:20 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

2017- 2018 BMW 440i sport package engine upgrade, M exhaust, with digital cluster, blind spot monitoring, bigger wheel, carbon diffuser, carbon spoiler, Heads up display better choice then m240i?

Last edited by 50th; 03-08-20 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-08-20, 05:57 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

I think the 4-series Gran Coupe is a bit big, but it will probably drive nicely. Haven't driven one myself, but I've driven a 335i. It's a pretty nice, fun car to drive. Not as agile as the 2-series, but honestly it is worth it to me for the extra interior quality and space.

Again I don't think there is a wrong answer here. Hopefully you'll fall in love with one of these cars when you test-drive it.
Old 03-08-20, 07:44 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Driven the 440i gran coupe MPPK kit package sounds great and rides stiff somewhat like M2 not as much. Compared to m240i the wheelbase is longer five inches and car is lighter by 200 lbs. vs 440i whereas weight similar to RC 350 AWD same width 72" wheelbase 3" longer then RC.
As for agility 240i feels nimble but 440i grips better out of turns by no means is 440i sport car. Only drawback known is the low profile 19" tires tend to feel stiffer and puncture unlike the wagon wheels 18" on the 240i.

Cons that i see looks of the m240i makes people chuckle at the short wheelbase, small wheels don't look correct on the car. While upgrading bigger tire size there is limit because of the fenders and brake calipers unlike M2 cars.

Pros for the 440i longer wheelbase even front end and tires lift with my hard launch good or bad thing? Side cameras front of the bumper++, digital instrument cluster, although shows lag RPM in real time, proportions body lines look more natural. Used car market availability is plentiful to choose from then 240 or Rc 350i although coupes AWD may equal out versus 240i

Bigger car looks better similar to m4.

Difficult decision as you said can't go wrong with either one.
Do feel if driving on bumpy city streets the 240i with 18" wheels feels more jarring because of the chassis size.
440i bigger wheelbase maybe more forgiving yet the 19" low profile tires don't make it feel different although sluggish compares to 240i. Maybe because 440i grips so well on the road dampening suspension makes it stick better smoothing out the rough tarmac.

Same reviewers say the steering feels loose in m240i only drawback vs 440i which feels stiffer.

Last edited by 50th; 03-08-20 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-08-20, 08:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

2 series, fun, small, cramped, jiggly ride.
4 series, less fun, bigger, not as cramped, smoother ride.

pick your poison.

you wrote the m240i is 200lbs heaver than the 440i - not sure how that's possible.