Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Newbie looking to purchase but not sure what model.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-20, 10:17 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking to purchase but not sure what model.

Newbie here looking to purchase a used 2015 Lexus RC but not sure what models.

Test driven them all 300 AWD 350 AWD and RC F can't make up my mind.

Like the aggressive appearance of RC F and the V8 engine only problem finding the rare availability in the interior colour and fair price point. Driving one at a dealership week later they jacked up the cost 3 000 even after i told them clearly it had accident that wasn't reported, so i'm dealing with clearly greedy crazy people. One dealer at Lexus didn't want to talk to see me because all sales reps were leaving for the day even though it wasn't closing time found that very special and smug. Even though they had one entire family in office discussing they had more important things on there mind making dinner plans with the wife and locking up the place so none will come in after the family left. Couldn't spare 5 minutes on car in the showroom that is customer service at Lexus...
RC 350 AWD makes sense as everyday driver similar to Acura brand i came from previously.
Rc 300 AWD is similar although higher in hp and weight power to weight ratio same as my 3.0 Liter V6 weighing in at 3200 lbs 188 ft/lbs @ 200hp.
Driving front drive auto TL with 258 hp and 233 ft/lbs of torque with lighter weight making it seem quick compared to the 350 AWD RC.
Gas mileage isn't a problem since i drive 3700 miles per year although mostly city driving at average rate of 18 mph giving me 14mpg on average in eco or standard mode in the RC F.
Difference between the 350 AWD and RC F with fuel consumption maybe 5 mpg not big deal.
Found the sales of RC model lines were the most highest in 2015 in the months April - Aug so i tend to assume there maybe some available be it 60 month leases coming to the end or just warranty issues being to the end giving vehicle more incentive to sell before it runs out of the 6 year powertrain warranty.

Anyone help me decide which is best for my driving habits. Feel if i go with RC 350 AWD having 6 speed transmission and V6 engine will i feel regret not being able to find a RC F with 50 000 miles.
Mechanics have said V8 is more pain to work on and time consuming then 3.5 V6. Although feel if the transmission ever dies on 350 AWD or RC F, solenoids give out as my acura, from all the reving previous owners have done aggressive throttle response driving, needing less work to change out the V8 8 speed RC F then V6 AWD 6 speed with it's drivetrain.

Any thoughts?

Price point can be significant to sway my purchase habits going with 300 AWD at deep wholesale discount. Knowing it's the same 3.5 V6 engine that 350 has with ECU mods and exhaust tweaks it can increase the torque and horsepower to equal the 350 AWD. Only question how much more money do i need to spend before i equal the cost of purchase of 350 AWD?

Thoughts on how many older V8 Lexus are driving out there on the street or are selling? Very rare to see them everyone says Toyota reliability is best, beating the euro trash Benz and BMW's but at what cost. When the inevitable happens **** breaks sooner or later will it be feasible to fix it or trash the car entirely? Looking to keep the RC for long time so repairs are factor. That is why i was moved to Acura side with no regrets from some forums telling me Lexus dealerships will rape you for parts. So i stayed clear considering back when a Solara and SC which i stayed away knowing the cost of repairs and parts saved myself lot money and time at the garage.

Just looking how RC needing to change the cheap oil paper filter is dumb as i never seen before on engine that should last wasn't a good design. Big pain to jack up the entire car doing maintenance myself. On my Acura just turned the passenger tire reached under to get the oil filter out no problems oil pan slid underneath to oil bolt off. Don't get me started with RC transmission oil maintenance and fill bolt...

Question: We all know how stealerships works from Acura to Lexus they are all the same. Does parts from Toyota like oil filter cross lines with Lexus? Seeing many parts from Honda often were compatible with Acura from my experiences. Is this also with Lexus and Toyota dealerships better then Lexus with regards to maintenance parts such fluids etc..

Last edited by 50th; 01-05-20 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-06-20, 04:01 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Personally I prefer the GS over the RC but that's just me.

dont go for AWD, RWD based cars are much better without it.
Old 01-06-20, 06:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 50th
Any thoughts?
First, welcome to CL as a new poster.

Second, while I respect Moisture's opinion on RWD, I think you would probably be better off with AWD, particularly in an area like yours, with severe winters. RWD is generally superior only for higher-speed handling, though, admitted, it can also reduce maintenance costs. But, in an environment like yours, I'd feel much better with AWD.

Third, sounds like you found a real bozo of a dealership...I'm not sure I'd want to do business with a place like that. You can probably do better.

Fourth, before plunking down the $$$$$ for a used RC, you might want to take a look at a brand-new (or almost new) Kia Stinger for about the same money. Don't let the name fool you (unfortunately, too many people do)...Kia builds a solid product today. The Stinger, with 4-door-coupe styling, will also give you a somewhat more usable back seat than an RC, while preserving the styling you probably want. I'd give it a serious look before buying a used RC.
Old 01-06-20, 06:51 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

The Genesis G70 is a smaller, better looking and handling Stinger so you should check that out. It's also as fast as that RCF but cheaper than a RC F Sport.
Old 01-06-20, 06:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Genesis G70 is a smaller, better looking and handling Stinger so you should check that out. It's also as fast as that RCF but cheaper than a RC F Sport.

Agreed on the G70 (an excellent machine)...but they are all almost brand-new, so it would probably end up costing more.
Old 01-06-20, 08:31 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

I would never choose a Kia/Hyundai over a Lexus for as long as I live.

Both me and OP live in Ontario (i think) I have enough experience driving RWD cars with winter tires in the snow to confirm that AWD simply takes away the fun and natural handling of a RWD car while wasting gas, adding excess weight and hurting weight distribution.
Old 01-06-20, 09:53 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by Moisture
I would never choose a Kia/Hyundai over a Lexus for as long as I live.

Both me and OP live in Ontario (i think) I have enough experience driving RWD cars with winter tires in the snow to confirm that AWD simply takes away the fun and natural handling of a RWD car while wasting gas, adding excess weight and hurting weight distribution.
I know this is off-topic, but it has to be said. Kia and Hyundai build really great cars these days. I've documented my thoughts on a couple of their products over on these threads:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-thoughts.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-ultimate.html

Korean cars being bad is an outdated perception. Even their lower-end models are great. For instance, I'd take a base model 2020 Elantra over a base-model 2020 Jetta any day. Sure it's smaller, but it has far better build quality.

I still need to try a G70, but... I've driven a Stinger, and it's on the same platform as the G70. That car was a bit lazy in terms of handling, but super quick in a straight line, while quiet and comfortable - and don't get me wrong, it still handles well, just not like my IS, for instance. Most reviews and video I have seen of the G70 say it handles more sharply than the Stinger, so if that is what you're looking for... giving it a shot would be a good idea.

To answer the OP's question... Do you need a car now, or could you wait? The RC F is in another league. I'd be tempted to just wait until the right one shows up on the market.
Old 01-06-20, 10:00 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by arentz07
I know this is off-topic, but it has to be said. Kia and Hyundai build really great cars these days. I've documented my thoughts on a couple of their products over on these threads:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-thoughts.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-ultimate.html

Korean cars being bad is an outdated perception. Even their lower-end models are great. For instance, I'd take a base model 2020 Elantra over a base-model 2020 Jetta any day. Sure it's smaller, but it has far better build quality.

I still need to try a G70, but... I've driven a Stinger, and it's on the same platform as the G70. That car was a bit lazy in terms of handling, but super quick in a straight line, while quiet and comfortable - and don't get me wrong, it still handles well, just not like my IS, for instance. Most reviews and video I have seen of the G70 say it handles more sharply than the Stinger, so if that is what you're looking for... giving it a shot would be a good idea.

To answer the OP's question... Do you need a car now, or could you wait? The RC F is in another league. I'd be tempted to just wait until the right one shows up on the market.
I never said that Hyundai or Kia is a bad company, they have made dramatic strides as a brand over the last 10 years and their business strategy (load up a car with useless electronics that the average consumer loves) is exactly how you make money in this day and age. I just wouldn't choose a Genesis/Kia over Japanese quality.

Actually, Elantra Vs. Jetta is an interesting one. I think they are both equally compelling, although I'm sure the VW is more involving to drive.
Old 01-06-20, 11:26 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Moisture
I never said that Hyundai or Kia is a bad company, they have made dramatic strides as a brand over the last 10 years and their business strategy (load up a car with useless electronics that the average consumer loves) is exactly how you make money in this day and age. I just wouldn't choose a Genesis/Kia over Japanese quality.

Actually, Elantra Vs. Jetta is an interesting one. I think they are both equally compelling, although I'm sure the VW is more involving to drive.
Yeah I don't wanna go down this rabbit hole too far, but for me, I think the Jetta was not bad to drive, just typical economy-car steering, weirdly heavy throttle pedal, and recalcitrant 6-speed auto were a bit strange. However, the engine is pretty nice for a car at that price. It pulled nicely. I haven't driven an Elantra in a few years, but I remember it being a little more fun. The transmission was less weird, and the steering was quicker. Then again I do seem to remember the steering was also pretty light and didn't have any feel - to be expected in the class.

I'm just saying, some people value different things. Just because a car is the most reliable doesn't make it the best overall. With something like a Stinger, you are getting a relatively reliable car with a lot more space and performance than an RC. That the RC is more reliable might make it more of a safe bet, especially used. However, Kia also has a really nice warranty, so maybe it's a moot point.
Old 01-06-20, 01:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Does parts from Toyota like oil filter cross lines with Lexus? ..
They sure do. All parts for a Lexus are TOYOTA parts. You can buy then at either a Toyota parts location or a Lexus parts. Some Lexus dealers mark up the price I think, but not usually.
Old 01-06-20, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I would venture to say in ON it would be very hard to impossible to find an RC that is not AWD (that isnt an RC F). Its near impossible here.

Having owned the same Lexus model in RWD and AWD, I prefer the way the RWD car feels, but the difference is not dramatic and in normal driving you really don't notice. I would get an AWD one again without hesitation.

Sure RWD and winter tires is great...AWD and winter tires is still better.

Personally if I were to get an RC, I'd want the RC F
Old 01-06-20, 02:37 PM
50th
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Do prefer a coupe based body style coming from coupe 3.0 CL Acura. If i didn't care for coupe or sedan would buy newer Aspec TLX couple years old and be done with it. or very least get 2019 accord 2.0T with 10 speed auto, ECU mod bringing up hp to Kia Stinger GT does 350 HP.. Accord is lovely car which gives everything i would want only no coupe version. Yes Civic has has the same turbo engine but it is standard transmission i don't want. Genesis intrigued me years ago but since i want Auto transmission RC might be safer bet.

Dealers at Lexus or any other brand name car lots, don't invite business with respect to the used cars. They keep jacking up the prices on autotrader knowing they will have newer influx of used models same year in spring and summer coming in to dealerships keeping artificially prices higher than is reasonably expected through depreciation etc..
Read post in RC F forum of car that was on GM lot for long time only at Christmas 2018 he got it discounted in high 40's that was over a year ago. The prices haven't
changed and calendar year has past what happened to 10% depreciation on the car same model and year?

Unfortunately where i'm located no RWD 350 that i seen are available. Almost all sales 60%, of the year i'm interested, are premium sport F package AWD that people have ordered. Cross my fingers to see if availability will increase in summer or spring months and prices drop to respectable fair or good values. Frustrating to watch the smugness of SA at dealers holding onto there used RC knowing guys like me will need to overpay to have opportunity to own one. Makes for unhappy buyer knowing to ride i overpaid thus the experience of shopping depressing.
Only hope is finding RC F with high mileage in colour i want paying fair value knowing it maybe out of many peoples budget.
Wish me luck on my agonizing journey for RC undecided model. More i think about it less hope to acquire any RCF and only setting for RC 300 or RC350.

Old 01-06-20, 02:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Unfortunately where i'm located no RWD 350 that i seen are available.
RC, GS, and LS only come in AWD in Ontario.
Old 01-06-20, 02:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
RC, GS, and LS only come in AWD in Ontario.
Thats really true in all "snow possible" climates, even here.
Old 01-06-20, 03:37 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Having driven an RC F, it's simply on another level compared with the regular car. It's kinda hard to recommend the regular RC compared to other coupe options, but I will say compared to an IS, it has its pros and cons. It's less practical than an IS, but to me, it feels a bit more solid going down the road and rides equally well in spite of appearing to be more sporty. It also has a little bit nicer interior. However, by and large an IS will give you a similar experience, outside of obviously, the F model.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking to purchase but not sure what model.