Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Finally Makes A Decision About Aging IS Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-20, 01:07 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

The IS, in its pre-refresh form, has aged pretty well. Maybe I am biased. However, I just don't find the refresh to be attractive at all.

A technology/infotainment refresh is what it needs the most. I know, most car enthusiasts here are going to question this statement, but lately in 3IS-land, a lot of threads have been around Android Auto and Apple CarPlay support, specifically adding it aftermarket, and... get this: asking if it'll be available for 2020 or 2021. A lot of folks shopping in this segment are not enthusiasts and simply want a tech-laden commuter car.

That said, the powertrains are pretty dated at this point and could use work. The 2.5-liter turbo would do wonders if it were the base engine. I'd happily consider a base (IS 300?) model if it had more power. However, the 350 is also a sort-of tweener option at the moment, both in price and performance, that doesn't really sell. My local dealership is lucky to have even one of them in stock at any given time.

Here's hoping an actual brand-new IS will be near on the horizon. With a shift to GA-L or some global platform, it should be able to save weight while maintaining one of its standout strengths today, which is a highly rigid and responsive chassis.
Old 01-15-20, 09:39 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
It's amazing what they are doing. LS got stalled, GS canceled and now IS being stalled all due to lack of vision that has produced lack of technology that should go into new generation of products. Simply they have nothing to offer on the table. Lexus is in such empty vacuum right now, nowhere to go waiting for the game to change. Fortunately for Lexus fans they cannot let IS go just like GS cause IS is too important in small car markets around the world, unfortunately for Lexus fans current IS is way too outdated and no amount of refresh will hide it just like LS major refresh couldn't hide what was behind new fascia and lovely interior pieces.

As of right now pure Lexus products, which are RWD cars and not Toyota derivatives, are nothing more than emotional buy and only two products that strike the emotion to buy them are LS and LC.
LOL at some of the comments in this thread. Rather have a Mazda over a Lexus? Speaking of "emotional"...

If you want to always drive new and pay for a car forever, then go right ahead and lease your German uber-teck car and hand it back as soon as it expires then go onto the next. Paying them forever. In the Toyota line I previously owned an MR2 Turbo and this is my first Lexus, and both have been awesome, as well as the three others my family have owned. Yeah OWNED. We buy cars because it's something that's supposed to work for more than a couple years, be reliable and get done what it's made to do, not be a sizzling firecracker that blows up even before its warranty expires.

Fact of the matter, some like Ford are getting out of cars nearly completely because of the current trend towards crossovers. Is it just a trend or permanent, who knows, but Lexus is likely just wanting to accurately gauge the market and make the right decisions. They're the #1 car manufacturer in the world so it's not like they lack for money or resources, let alone technology, insight, or capability.
Old 01-15-20, 09:48 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm fine with them using the current platform/chassis, as it still handles well. So if they do that, with new engines, significantly updated styling, interior updates, and new tech, then I think it's fine. If it's limited to a new grill and the addition of AA/CP and such, then I view it as a signal that it will likely be the last IS and that they don't see the value in investing in it anymore, much like they've done with the GS.
I actually am too. The biggest thing I'm looking for is a more powerful, more fuel efficient engine. I'll have to see how this 2.4L turbo performs.
Old 01-15-20, 10:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
LOL at some of the comments in this thread. Rather have a Mazda over a Lexus? Speaking of "emotional"...

If you want to always drive new and pay for a car forever, then go right ahead and lease your German uber-teck car and hand it back as soon as it expires then go onto the next. Paying them forever. In the Toyota line I previously owned an MR2 Turbo and this is my first Lexus, and both have been awesome, as well as the three others my family have owned. Yeah OWNED. We buy cars because it's something that's supposed to work for more than a couple years, be reliable and get done what it's made to do, not be a sizzling firecracker that blows up even before its warranty expires.

Fact of the matter, some like Ford are getting out of cars nearly completely because of the current trend towards crossovers. Is it just a trend or permanent, who knows, but Lexus is likely just wanting to accurately gauge the market and make the right decisions. They're the #1 car manufacturer in the world so it's not like they lack for money or resources, let alone technology, insight, or capability.
Enjoyed reading this post. Thanks for the opinion. I happen to agree.
Old 01-15-20, 12:53 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

And here I am waiting to upgrade my 07 IS350 for a 4IS. Guess I'll be keeping it or jump ship to Infiniti.
Old 01-15-20, 01:42 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by istarzan
And here I am waiting to upgrade my 07 IS350 for a 4IS. Guess I'll be keeping it or jump ship to Infiniti.
Just get a 3IS. It's got a much newer platform that the old Infiniti FM, and should handle better.

I've loved mine. Had it for 3 years now, and it has been flawless. I could see how you might want to get something different, since you already have a 2IS - and the 3IS has the same drivetrain. However, the RWD 350 will get you the 8-speed transmission, which is better than the 6-speed in several ways, and of course, the interior has been modernized, now featuring some amazing seats.

Have you thought about the Genesis G70 or new BMW 3-series?
Old 01-15-20, 02:03 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Just get a 3IS. It's got a much newer platform that the old Infiniti FM, and should handle better.

I've loved mine. Had it for 3 years now, and it has been flawless. I could see how you might want to get something different, since you already have a 2IS - and the 3IS has the same drivetrain. However, the RWD 350 will get you the 8-speed transmission, which is better than the 6-speed in several ways, and of course, the interior has been modernized, now featuring some amazing seats.

Have you thought about the Genesis G70 or new BMW 3-series?
I still love my 2IS. I know its old now but it has real leather seats, AFS lights, rear window shades, driver and passenger memory seats etc, which are aren't available on the 3IS. The only thing I don't like is the 6 speed auto and the outdated infotainment system. Yeah plus they have the same engine!

Nah man. Defiantly not considering BMW as they have no reliability. And the Genesis is still a Hyundai. Looking a Infiniti because they actually offer a manual shifter.
Old 01-15-20, 02:16 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

I still love my 2IS. I know its old now but it has real leather seats, AFS lights, rear window shades, driver and passenger memory seats etc, which are aren't available on the 3IS. The only thing I don't like is the 6 speed auto and the outdated infotainment system. Yeah plus they have the same engine!
3IS has rear window shade and memory seats available in some packages. Nuluxe is great, very comparable to leather.
Old 01-15-20, 03:24 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Nah man. Defiantly not considering BMW as they have no reliability. And the Genesis is still a Hyundai. Looking a Infiniti because they actually offer a manual shifter.
I've driven a Genesis G80, and a Kia Stinger which is based on the G80 platform (and, so is the G70), and let me tell you - they are not run-of-the-mill Hyundai/Kia products. Try one for yourself. You will feel how much more solid they are going down the road - the G80 was much better than the often-cross-shopped ES 350 in that regard, and the Stinger handled really well in spite of it also riding really smoothly.
Old 01-15-20, 03:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

you can get a g70 stick by the way, and it's an awesome car that won endless awards. To say it's "still a Hyundai" may be technically true, but then your IS is "still a Toyota" - not that there's anything wrong with that!
Old 01-15-20, 05:29 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

My neighbor just bought a new G80 and it’s gorgeous.
Old 01-16-20, 08:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

My neighbor just bought a new G80 and it’s gorgeous.
nice! of course the G80's been around a long time and the last one i drove i found the center stack design a bit wanting and cheap looking... your neighbor probably got a great deal on one too. but the g80 drives REALLY nice and all the controls and everything are just great. and it's a roomy and GREAT looking car too!
Old 01-16-20, 08:20 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nice! of course the G80's been around a long time and the last one i drove i found the center stack design a bit wanting and cheap looking... your neighbor probably got a great deal on one too. but the g80 drives REALLY nice and all the controls and everything are just great. and it's a roomy and GREAT looking car too!
I agree. I am not in love with the entire dash design, and the car is way too heavy (about 600 lbs more than my GS). But it's a real looker and has several features you cannot even get on a GS, like the rear heated seats and the panoramic sunroof. I'll be curious to see how well he likes it. He is replacing his well used BMW 5 Series.
Old 01-16-20, 08:28 AM
arentz07
drives cars

I agree. I am not in love with the entire dash design, and the car is way too heavy (about 600 lbs more than my GS). But it's a real looker and has several features you cannot even get on a GS, like the rear heated seats and the panoramic sunroof. I'll be curious to see how well he likes it. He is replacing his well used BMW 5 Series.
I pretty much echo all these impressions. Heavy? Yes. But smooth and quiet? Definitely. It's a car I could drive all day and be relaxed at the end. I actually kinda mulled the idea of getting one for a while. If it were a bit smaller/more agile I might consider it.
Old 01-16-20, 08:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

the next gen G80 should arrive later this year. obviously this is off topic from the Lexus IS.

Quick Reply: Lexus Finally Makes A Decision About Aging IS Sedan