Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Finally Makes A Decision About Aging IS Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-20, 08:57 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Yeah, true lol.

WRT the NuLuxe, I'll echo what AtomicAWD said and say I actually prefer NuLuxe to some of the real leather seats I've sat in. And the fact that it's not actual leather makes me think it'll be easier to take care of. I wouldn't view it as a negative.

Old 01-16-20, 02:01 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yeah, true lol.

WRT the NuLuxe, I'll echo what AtomicAWD said and say I actually prefer NuLuxe to some of the real leather seats I've sat in. And the fact that it's not actual leather makes me think it'll be easier to take care of. I wouldn't view it as a negative.
I would agree with you on that. I had the red nuluxe interior in my IS and liked it more than leather. It held up real well, even better than leather in my previous cars, after 36k miles. Looked nearly brand new and I didn’t clean it often and never even conditioned it (which I’m not sure is even doable).
Old 01-19-20, 11:28 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I often read on this forum, but also in the group walls, that peoples are p_ssed at Lexus for whatever reason they are seeing as legit.

For the absolute majority of those comment, they are wrong, lacking of long view and always come back of what the writer sees as important in car culture in general. Yes, I would also wish myself my ideal Lexus out of my head directly on the assembly line. But it will not occur, because my tastes are for cars that are from a past time and from a distinct geographical region..
Old 01-19-20, 12:20 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
My neighbor just bought a new G80 and it’s gorgeous.
Yeah, but it's a Hundai.
Old 01-19-20, 12:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by azmojo
Yeah, but it's a Hundai.
And Lexus is a Toyota. Both are good car companies.
Old 01-19-20, 01:18 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Originally Posted by EZZ
And Lexus is a Toyota. Both are good car companies.
And only one would I ever allow myself to be seen in.
Old 01-19-20, 01:28 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

It's what my friends with Mercs say about Lexus
Old 01-19-20, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Sounds like you need some help with self esteem.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-19-20 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-19-20, 02:09 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Yeah, but it's a Hundai.
And I couldn’t care less about it being a Hyundai. It’s a good car.
Old 01-19-20, 03:04 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Whaaat? You can't be serious. I don't think a Kardasian or Paris Hilton would even say something like that.
Old 01-19-20, 06:18 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
LOL at some of the comments in this thread. Rather have a Mazda over a Lexus? Speaking of "emotional"...

If you want to always drive new and pay for a car forever, then go right ahead and lease your German uber-teck car and hand it back as soon as it expires then go onto the next. Paying them forever. In the Toyota line I previously owned an MR2 Turbo and this is my first Lexus, and both have been awesome, as well as the three others my family have owned. Yeah OWNED. We buy cars because it's something that's supposed to work for more than a couple years, be reliable and get done what it's made to do, not be a sizzling firecracker that blows up even before its warranty expires.

Fact of the matter, some like Ford are getting out of cars nearly completely because of the current trend towards crossovers. Is it just a trend or permanent, who knows, but Lexus is likely just wanting to accurately gauge the market and make the right decisions. They're the #1 car manufacturer in the world so it's not like they lack for money or resources, let alone technology, insight, or capability.
I've never leased a car in my life and I've never taken a loan in my life to purchase a car either, I'm glad you are proud of your family for owning the assets instead of renting them. I believe in that too. I wasn't talking about owning or leasing a car I was talking about competition offering more stuff that Lexus doesn't even offer as an option such as more powerful engines, engines with more cylinders, PHEVs, advanced infotainment, advanced driver's assistance and so on, and in case of IS competition offers even better interiors as a whole. That's why I clarified it as emotional buy, because you want Lexus despite the long list of compromises compared to competition (and IS has the most of them).
Old 01-19-20, 06:27 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vladi
I've never leased a car in my life and I've never taken a loan in my life to purchase a car either, I'm glad you are proud of your family for owning the assets instead of renting them. I believe in that too. I wasn't talking about owning or leasing a car I was talking about competition offering more stuff that Lexus doesn't even offer as an option such as more powerful engines, engines with more cylinders, PHEVs, advanced infotainment, advanced driver's assistance and so on, and in case of IS competition offers even better interiors as a whole. That's why I clarified it as emotional buy, because you want Lexus despite the long list of compromises compared to competition (and IS has the most of them).
But there's no reason a refresh, rather than a complete redesign, can't address all or most of those issues.
Old 01-19-20, 06:36 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But there's no reason a refresh, rather than a complete redesign, can't address all or most of those issues.
LS has tried exactly that with extensive fl and it was lukewarm. They certainly did fix the interior I loved it, it was like amped GS interior but I'm not holding my breath for IS interior refresh. It's an entry RWD model first and foremost and besides that new ES already has weak interior. Usually ES always had better interior than IS. I could be wrong.