Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stinger - to buy or not to buy....

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-20, 07:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
I would love to pickup another Lexus (whether it be GS, IS, or maybe even an ES), but ancient tech aside, none of them offer rear folding seats.
The car that I’m most likely replacing is the Tundra, and the extended cargo space is a must.
The IS has fold down rear seats.
Old 01-22-20, 07:59 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Buy a new(er) car they said.... it will be fun!
Since I've basically decided to upgrade one of my cars, and started negotiating the Stinger, I started thinking.... Hmm.... WHAT ELSE can I get in the rather vast 20-30K (out the door) price range???
The must haves include Apple CarPlay and folding rear seats. Nice-to-have? Sportier ride.... Prefer no CVT transmission. Oh, and average and above reliability.

On the new car front - that price range should get me pretty much any mainstream mid-size sedan. Just out of curiosity, sent out a request (via Costco) on a '20 Accord Sport 2.0T. MSRP - $32K, got a quote of $26,877. Not a bad start!
Waiting on a quote for a Mazda 6 Grand Touring Reserve (the Signature would be nice, but probably hard to get under $30K new). Would qualify for loyalty incentive ('11 CX9) and previously owned Protage, MX-6, and 626.
Altima/Maxima? Nah... Next.
Other Koreans? Very tempting, but might as well get the Stinger.
Domestics? Not sure I like any of the Fusions, Malibus, Chargers, etc....

On a used car front, the options appear endless.
Not sure about any of the Germans - owned 3 (A4, 330i, and Jetta) and all were very reliable, but we're going back 20 years.
Acura TLX - the transmission problems worry me... ILX? Small...
Infinitis - ancient tech...
Volvo? The CPO program seems solid, but again - reliability.
Domestics? MKZ w/ the 3.0TT engine looks promising, but... Lacrosse? Regal Sportback?

Daymn! This was supposed to be easy.....
Lol - think you're on the right track. Love the Accord with the 2.0 & 10-speed combo personally, and the Mazda 6 is awesome (though I don't think as practical overall?). Let the dealers fight for your business, but I don't think going with the Stinger would be a bad way to go given the price you'll end up paying for it.
Old 01-22-20, 07:59 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

I would love to pickup another Lexus (whether it be GS, IS, or maybe even an ES), but ancient tech aside, none of them offer rear folding seats.
The car that I’m most likely replacing is the Tundra, and the extended cargo space is a must.
My IS has 60/40 folding rear seats. I'm not sure who told you that these cars don't offer them, but that is simply not true. I've heard the NEW ES, i.e., 2019+, doesn't offer folding rear seats, but then again, that car is still new and would be hard to find for the price range of that Stinger you were looking at.

I will say, though, the trunk space is more than you would think based on the number. The 2017+ IS has a rating of 10.8 cubic feet, but up til 2016 it was 13.8. It's actually a fairly decent amount of space. That said, you probably would be happier with something GS-ish size if you were wanting something closer to a Stinger in terms of space.
Old 01-22-20, 05:42 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Brain fart regarding the IS350's seats.... I thought I looked it up, but I only did the GS & ES.

Test drove the Mazda 6 GT Reserve. Very nice! Definitely an upscale interior with lots of cool features which up until not that long ago were reserved for the luxury cars. The turbo engine has plenty of power, but I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the infotainment system, but I guess I could get used to it. The bad part - not a lot of meat on the bone when it comes to pricing. ~$33K MSRP - got the Costco price hair under $30K with $750 loyalty. There's a Hyundai/Genesis dealer right next to Mazda, so I stopped by to take a look at the new Sonata. Of course, the only one they had on the floor was sold (Limited trim) and the porter was in the process of pulling it out of the showroom. I think the look is growing on me, and the interior is great. Might have to take a closer look at one before making the decision. While there, I sat in a loaded G70. Sharp looking car, but the interior space is very limited. I consider myself vertically challenged (5'10") and my knees were almost touching the front seat (set to my driving position).
Old 01-22-20, 07:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
My IS has 60/40 folding rear seats. I'm not sure who told you that these cars don't offer them, but that is simply not true. I've heard the NEW ES, i.e., 2019+, doesn't offer folding rear seats, but then again, that car is still new and would be hard to find for the price range of that Stinger you were looking at.

I will say, though, the trunk space is more than you would think based on the number. The 2017+ IS has a rating of 10.8 cubic feet, but up til 2016 it was 13.8. It's actually a fairly decent amount of space. That said, you probably would be happier with something GS-ish size if you were wanting something closer to a Stinger in terms of space.
I always thought they didn’t offer the fold down on the ES so that it didn’t take away from RX sales for those who want more space.
Old 01-23-20, 08:10 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I always thought they didn’t offer the fold down on the ES so that it didn’t take away from RX sales for those who want more space.
Yeah from browsing here on CL, it seems no ES has ever had one. Really odd...

I think the Mazda 6 is a great-looking car and is supposedly fun to drive. I've never actually been in one at all so can't really comment on that. I wouldn't take as a serious alternative to a Stinger, at least on paper, due to it being a more traditional FWD-based family sedan, but, in many ways, it does make sense to compare them. Similar acceleration figures, pricing, etc. I guess it depends what the primary reason for getting this car is.
Old 01-23-20, 09:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I could be wrong but I thought it was for additional chassis rigidity although other cars seem to be fine with folding rear seats.
Old 01-23-20, 10:54 AM
stasek
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I could be wrong but I thought it was for additional chassis rigidity although other cars seem to be fine with folding rear seats.
That’s the claim everyone makes when they skip the folding seats😨.
Old 01-23-20, 10:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yeah from browsing here on CL, it seems no ES has ever had one. Really odd...
I think the new Avalon has fold down. I think lack of ES fold down and lack of awd is to push the buyer towards the RX (which is just a big giant ES crossover in reality)
Old 01-23-20, 03:32 PM
stasek
Advanced

Test drove an Accord Sport 2.0T. Very much typical Honda - inoffensive. Everything about it was "nice", but nothing to get excited about. The interior (IMO) is definitely a step or two below the Mazda 6. While the MSRPs are withing $1K, the Mazda offers so much more (albeit at a most likely higher selling price). Stopped by a Hyundai dealer next door to take a look at the Sonata. Walked around inside the store for few minutes and spent another 15 minutes outside looking at their inventory - not one "Hello, how can I help you", despite several salespeople sitting around busy staring at their phones. Since I wasn't buying anyway, didn't want to waste their precious time and went home.
Might have to expand my search criteria and start looking at preowned CPOs from premium brands. The Stinger is starting to look like a clear winner - so far.
Old 01-23-20, 07:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I still detest the new Accord. I’d take a Stinger over it any day.
Old 01-24-20, 10:31 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Look at the BMW 4-Series GranCoupe.
Closest to the Stinger in terms of package but better in every way. It is more expensive, try to get a CPO 435/440i.
Old 01-24-20, 11:26 AM
stasek
Advanced

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Look at the BMW 4-Series GranCoupe.
Closest to the Stinger in terms of package but better in every way. It is more expensive, try to get a CPO 435/440i.
If I’m going to BMW, I’m definitely leasing.
Old 01-24-20, 12:12 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

That’s the claim everyone makes when they skip the folding seats😨.
Compared to the Avalon which has fold down seats, the ES has added a cross brace behind the seat back for more stiffness. It is also easier to seal the fixed seatback against noise than one that folds.
Old 01-24-20, 01:20 PM
stasek
Advanced

Details coming up 🤦‍♂️😂.

Quick Reply: Stinger - to buy or not to buy....