Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stinger - to buy or not to buy....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-20, 02:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
Yes, I was approved by KMF, but apparently they haven’t sent the paperwork over.
Wow. That is pretty pathetic on the KIA dealers part. I would not give them the time of day. I don't know how they would release this car without having KIA financial approve it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-27-20 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-27-20, 02:40 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Wow. That is pretty pathetic on the KIA dealers part. I would not give them the time of day. I don't know how they would release this car without having KIA financial approve it.
Yeah, can’t say the experience has been stellar.
It’s been a while , but I actually witnessed the mythical 4 squares being thrust upon an unsuspecting Hispanic couple with small child. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Old 01-27-20, 02:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It’s been a while , but I actually witnessed the mythical 4 squares being thrust upon an unsuspecting Hispanic couple with small child. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
What does this mean? 4 squares, never heard of it.
Old 01-27-20, 03:02 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, I've heard this type of thing happening.

In fact, several years ago I was looking for a car for my teenage son and I stopped by the KIA and the Hundai dealership (they were along this couple of miles of "auto dealership row" on this particular road with all major brands, foreign and domestic). I found at the KIA dealership a dozen "new cars" that had the code word "unwind" in the paperwork. All these had anywhere from under a hundred miles to several hundred miles, but none were over a thousand miles. I asked around and nobody would tell me what is the deal with these. Then I went to the Toyota dealership next door and I did not find similar "unwind cars" for sale (maybe they are just more experienced in hiding these? IDK??). I was told "unwind" means that somehow somewhere there was a problem with the customer's credit. Bad dealerships sometimes play the following game: They tell you that you are approved for "whatever rate/incentives/whatever lies". They may also have paperwork for you to sign. All looks good and legit. So you drove off with the new car all excited and everything. BUT ........... Wait for it .........

A few days, a few weeks, (I've even heard a month later)....... They call you up and tell you (more lies) that the bank came back and declined your original rate and your new rate is X+ now. OR the bank came back and said you needed to put down an additional $X for the down payment to get approved. OR as in your case.......the incentives were NO LONGER ANY GOOD for reasons XYZ (more lies!!!). You would be surprised on how many people just roll over and pay up or whatever without a fight!!!

So I've seen the following happen AFTER the customer experienced the above. So the customer is upset (I would be too!!). So the customer goes back to the dealership and says "Duck you. I don't want this car anymore" and here it is and walks out and leaves the car and keys at the dealership. So now the car dealership turns around and SCREWS the customer ONE MORE TIME!!!! Now the car dealership PUTS on a new spin......that the customer does NOT want the car anymore bc the customer had abandoned the car and the dealership will have to dispose the car!!! Any looses are charged to the CUSTOMER!!! WTF!!!

Things to learn and make sure (Please note I'm NOT A LAWYER and to check with your own lawyer):

1. Get everything in writing. Including why they called you to come back to REDO the deal. Once you get that in writing .......... You will be in a better position. At this point, no need to loose your cool. Just send them an email asking why??? If they won't respond in writing (email or letter), then they KNOW what they are doing and they think they are "slick". Depending on which state you are in (Some states only require ONE party consent of the telephone conversation to be legally ok to record. That ONE party can be just YOU (and you don't have to disclose you are recording). Some state requires ALL PARTIES. Then you will have to disclose you are recording. ). Anyway if you are recording......then you want to start out by saying his/her name and then your name..... "Hello Mr. DuckYou at KIA ABC. This is Mr. Victim here. I wanted to talk to you why you want me to come in to redo the deal. I thought we had sign all the paperwork and agreed on XYZ (to reaffirm the original deal) .............". And let that person at the dealership talk and talk and talk......the more that person talks you got him/her!!!

2. He/she will make some promises.....blah blah blah...... Ask him/her to send you an email detailing XYZ promises.
​​​​​​
I would also call up your state's consumer protection agency and find out what your options are. At this point you don't necessarily have to tell them which car dealership unless you want to.

I would tread very carefully...... Get all evidence lined up. In writing if possible.

AFTER THE ORDEAL IS OVER ...... I would blast them on ALL SOCIAL MEDIA. But NOT BEFORE!!!

BTW, years and years ago when I was still a teenager my dad had bought a car that turned out to be a lemon. My dad won the case. By court order, the manufacturer had to take the car back and issue a full refund. So a tow truck showed up to take the car away. But the tow truck driver DID NOT have any paperwork to show anything!!! My dad told the tow truck driver to leave and don't come back until he had the proper paperwork. So the tow truck driver returned the next day with proper paperwork. We took multiple pictures with our 35 mm cameras AND camrecoder videos (no cell phone or digital cameras back then) to show no damages with the car. Everything went smoothly after that!!!

What a cluster duck this whole process is turning into.... After signing the paperwork and taking the car home on Friday, I get a call on Saturday stating that there’s a problem with financing (ha!) and I need to come in. I told them fine, I’ll stop by on Monday.
Long story short - they claim they applied a “dealer cash” rebate to the negotiated price incorrectly (leases don’t qualify for dealer cash) and they’re losing $2k on the deal, “We need to redo the paperwork”. I told them - heck no, I bought for X and not X+ $2000. Hey even offered to eat $1k, but I politely declined. They want the car back, but I’m fairly certain that legally, I don’t have to return it.
This is such bs... To be continued...😨😨😨
Old 01-27-20, 03:24 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

This guy is exposing this technique to watch out as a customer!!

This guy is a professional car salesman trying to get THE MOST from the customer!!!

Same guy trying to get the MOST from the customer!!! Watch out!!!

Same guy, just several years earlier. This guy is a REAL PRO car salesman!!!

What does this mean? 4 squares, never heard of it.

Last edited by lexusrus; 01-27-20 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-27-20, 03:28 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

They do that to make money on other people's expense!!! Very shady indeed. Unfortunately (I know I'm generalizing here)......brands like KIA and Hundai has a reputation for predatory practices like this towards certain segments of population. This should be outlawed!!!!

Old 01-27-20, 05:53 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
They do that to make money on other people's expense!!! Very shady indeed. Unfortunately (I know I'm generalizing here)......brands like KIA and Hundai has a reputation for predatory practices like this towards certain segments of population. This should be outlawed!!!!
I've never faced that tactic with a luxury brand before but I've encountered very similar tactics at a Honda, Nissan and Toyota lot over the past decade or so.

STASEK - sorry to hear that, but legally binding is legally binding - enjoy your ride, law is on your side!
Old 01-27-20, 05:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

stasek, food for thought, i'm sure if there was a 'mistake' in the paperwork that shows you OVERPAID $2K they'd gladly give it back to you... and unicorns are very common...
Old 01-27-20, 07:00 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
stasek, food for thought, i'm sure if there was a 'mistake' in the paperwork that shows you OVERPAID $2K they'd gladly give it back to you... and unicorns are very common...
Agreed 100%, but I honestly don’t know if I want the hassle. I rather enjoy my uncomplicated life 😂.

I texted the salesman and told him I’ll drop off the car tomorrow afternoon and my wife will pick me up.
They might have a change of heart once they realize they’ll probably take a much higher hit once the manufacturer incentives go away in 5 weeks.
There’s still one brand new 2018 in my market, listed at $38k. Good luck with that!
Old 01-27-20, 07:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://youtu.be/pYKwwKOhAWM
This guy is exposing this technique to watch out as a customer!!

https://youtu.be/LKs3y7dwrkI
This guy is a professional car salesman trying to get THE MOST from the customer!!!

https://youtu.be/3AFD6vrVIy8
Same guy trying to get the MOST from the customer!!! Watch out!!!

https://youtu.be/0OC73TzeEac
Same guy, just several years earlier. This guy is a REAL PRO car salesman!!!
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.
Old 01-27-20, 10:38 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I know. BUT I'm sure they had the paperwork worded in such a way in their favor. Very slick. So tread very carefully.

Originally Posted by Wandl
I've never faced that tactic with a luxury brand before but I've encounter

ed very similar tactics at a Honda, Nissan and Toyota lot over the past decade or so.

STASEK - sorry to hear that, but legally binding is legally binding - enjoy your ride, law is on your side!
Old 01-27-20, 10:42 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Be very careful about "just returning the car".

​​​​​I would call your state attorney's office or consumer protection agency to find out what they have to say.

Tread carefully. The slick car dealership WILL hit you again if you are not careful!!!!

Agreed 100%, but I honestly don’t know if I want the hassle. I rather enjoy my uncomplicated life 😂.

I texted the salesman and told him I’ll drop off the car tomorrow afternoon and my wife will pick me up.
They might have a change of heart once they realize they’ll probably take a much higher hit once the manufacturer incentives go away in 5 weeks.
There’s still one brand new 2018 in my market, listed at $38k. Good luck with that!
Old 01-27-20, 10:45 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

You are welcome.

BTW, the PRO salesman in the video goes around the country "TRAINING" car dealerships' sales team on how to EXTRACT the MAXIMUM from customers.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.
Old 01-28-20, 01:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Be very careful about "just returning the car".

​​​​​I would call your state attorney's office or consumer protection agency to find out what they have to say.

Tread carefully. The slick car dealership WILL hit you again if you are not careful!!!!
Very good advice. The dealership works with these matters all day, everyday, and will know how to resolve this in their favor. Your returned car will also have some miles on it and they are not going to want to take a hit when trying to resell it. Best of luck. I hope it all works out for you.
Old 01-28-20, 06:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What a cluster duck this whole process is turning into.... After signing the paperwork and taking the car home on Friday, I get a call on Saturday stating that there’s a problem with financing (ha!) and I need to come in. I told them fine, I’ll stop by on Monday.
Long story short - they claim they applied a “dealer cash” rebate to the negotiated price incorrectly (leases don’t qualify for dealer cash) and they’re losing $2k on the deal, “We need to redo the paperwork”. I told them - heck no, I bought for X and not X+ $2000. Hey even offered to eat $1k, but I politely declined. They want the car back, but I’m fairly certain that legally, I don’t have to return it.
This is such bs... To be continued...😨😨😨
This is a classic dealer scam/shake down. Stand your ground and threaten to report them to the State Attorney General.

Never heard of this type of thing. The paperwork is signed.
Shady dealers do this a lot.

Quick Reply: Stinger - to buy or not to buy....