Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stinger - to buy or not to buy....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-20, 01:38 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Stinger - to buy or not to buy....

.... that is the question 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️.

Itching to upgrade one of my cars, but still probably 5 months too early (one of 2 college tuition bills and room and boards will be over).
Really like the wagons (not a lot to chose from) or hatchbacks (like the utility and look).

Sent out a quote request via website, and after few back and forth emails, here’s what I’m getting.

’19 Stinger 2.0t Premium AWD. MSRP ~$43k, Selling price (for the purpose of 24 month lease) - $37,500 - $10,500 lease rebate, making the effective price $27k. Add acquisition, TTL, etc and I’m looking at ~$32k. I would buy out the lease after 1 month to take advantage of the higher rebate.

I wish the used market was stronger, but the pickings are very slim, and dealers are asking almost as much (or more) for 1-2 year old models w/ 20k+ miles.

Old 01-14-20, 01:41 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I almost bought a Stinger GT2 last year. I love these cars and you can get great deals on them. I would have bought one, but no local dealer could get the color I wanted so after 4 months of waiting, I gave up and picked up another GS. Keep us posted on what you decide.
Old 01-14-20, 01:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
$10,500 lease rebate, making the effective price $27k..
Wow What a discount For $10,500 off, that is a deal.
Old 01-14-20, 01:45 PM
stasek
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Wow What a discount For $10,500 off, that is a deal.
It’s actually ~ $16k off before TTL.... 😁
Old 01-14-20, 01:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

It’s actually ~ $16k off before TTL.... 😁
Yes..that appears to be the case. $16K, is quite the incentive. KIA is like Buick with this type of deal.
Old 01-14-20, 03:18 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

.... that is the question 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️.

Itching to upgrade one of my cars, but still probably 5 months too early (one of 2 college tuition bills and room and boards will be over).
Really like the wagons (not a lot to chose from) or hatchbacks (like the utility and look).

Sent out a quote request via website, and after few back and forth emails, here’s what I’m getting.

’19 Stinger 2.0t Premium AWD. MSRP ~$43k, Selling price (for the purpose of 24 month lease) - $37,500 - $10,500 lease rebate, making the effective price $27k. Add acquisition, TTL, etc and I’m looking at ~$32k. I would buy out the lease after 1 month to take advantage of the higher rebate.

I wish the used market was stronger, but the pickings are very slim, and dealers are asking almost as much (or more) for 1-2 year old models w/ 20k+ miles.
I wish the Genesis G70 was a hatch like the Stinger. I keep going back and forth as to whether I like the Stinger's styling. But at that price, I'd lean towards liking it.
Old 01-14-20, 05:10 PM
AZFTW
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tex2670
I wish the Genesis G70 was a hatch like the Stinger. I keep going back and forth as to whether I like the Stinger's styling. But at that price, I'd lean towards liking it.
I couldn't agree more. I almost pulled the trigger on a G70 lease 6-7 months ago but I couldn't escape the boring exterior styling. The front is good but the rear is just too plain. The car has no road presence compared to a G80 for example.

OP - you may want to consider a G70. I never see any in Phoenix and they were very aggressive with me on a lease. I was quoted low $500's with $0 out of pocket on a 36 month / 12k miles a year for the 3.3T. I'm guessing the 4 cylinder is $100 less a month at least
Old 01-14-20, 05:42 PM
weezer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Stinger GT2 in Ceramic Grey with the red interior for about 18 months. I loved every second of it and miss it quite a bit. Endless fun and it was near impossible for someone not to strike up a conversation about it. Traded it in a few months after I purchased a the 2020 Telluride SXP(which I am also absolutely thrilled with). My previous vehicles to the Stinger were a 2007 GS350, 17 Q7 and 18 XC90(Q7 and GS were awesome, but oh boy I should have trusted my forum research on the XC90 before purchasing). Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.
Old 01-14-20, 06:00 PM
stasek
Advanced

Originally Posted by AZFTW
I couldn't agree more. I almost pulled the trigger on a G70 lease 6-7 months ago but I couldn't escape the boring exterior styling. The front is good but the rear is just too plain. The car has no road presence compared to a G80 for example.

OP - you may want to consider a G70. I never see any in Phoenix and they were very aggressive with me on a lease. I was quoted low $500's with $0 out of pocket on a 36 month / 12k miles a year for the 3.3T. I'm guessing the 4 cylinder is $100 less a month at least
I do like the G70, but I need the hatchback or a CUV. Due to the nature of my work, I may need to transport some “goodies” in the trunk, largest of them being a Gorilla-style ladder. And of course let’s not forget the usual cargo - golf clubs and 1 piece fishing rods 😁. The dealer did quote me a 39 month lease (probably 3rd party bank) @ $425/month, but due to the amount of driving I do, it wouldn’t work.
Old 01-14-20, 07:15 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Still have my Ceramic GT2 and still love it. 25k miles later and not a single problem worth mentioning. Literally everything I wanted in a vehicle. Latest tech, great low end power, fast when need to be, great fuel efficiency when not hooning it, eye catching design, easy to mod, and ridiculous amount of cargo space. I bought a new 65in Samsung TV a few months back and it was able to fit, still in the box with room to spare. Crazy.

I think you'll like it. That deal youre getting sounds amazing!

Last edited by GFerg; 01-14-20 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-15-20, 07:54 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Car and Driver's long term test of the Stinger ended around 40k miles, they liked it - they did mention the car didn't age well and had more rattles towards the end. Do any Stinger owners notice this in their day to day?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...g-term-update/

Is that $10,500 rebate available on a 3.3L V6?
Old 01-15-20, 08:34 AM
stasek
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wandl
Car and Driver's long term test of the Stinger ended around 40k miles, they liked it - they did mention the car didn't age well and had more rattles towards the end. Do any Stinger owners notice this in their day to day?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...g-term-update/

Is that $10,500 rebate available on a 3.3L V6?
Based on posts on Stinger forum, rattles are the biggest “problems” owners seem to encounter.

Regarding rebates - they vary by trim. The GT2 AWD has the highest amount available - $12,200.

Autobytel has pretty good info about rebates...

https://www.autobytel.com/kia/stinger/2019/incentives/
Use the pull-down menu for model specific numbers.

Old 01-15-20, 08:36 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

USED S5 Sportback. The Stinger is Ugly IMO

Old 01-15-20, 08:43 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

As long as your satisfied with the vehicle and have no interest in resale value (those numbers paint a bad 2ndary market). then the Stinger is a great vehicle to own(especially at those numbers). If your the type who gets the itch to trade frequently AND complain about depreciation, then might want to run those lease numbers or consider other options.

Old 01-15-20, 09:01 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you driven a Stinger?
I think the main rattle was from the hatchback & there is a fix for that

Quick Reply: Stinger - to buy or not to buy....