Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 GMC Yukon

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-20, 10:45 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

I don't like the shift buttons, they look cheap. I want the column shifter back. Otherwise it looks great inside and out IMO.

About the rotary shifts, I had a buddy with a Ram and he said it's horrible bc he'll reach for it instead of the volume **** when driving.

Seems like a valid point.
Old 01-15-20, 11:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I don't like the shift buttons, they look cheap. I want the column shifter back.
Agreed...a number of owners (or prospective owners) would probably like it back. While going to electronic shifters does free up console-space, I suspect another big reason for doing so is cost-cutting.....it is easier cheaper to install a rotary-switch or a row of buttons, because, with electronic-sensors, they eliminate the need for conventional shif-linkage and the emergency-override button for the Park/Neutral starter-interlock.

About the rotary shifts, I had a buddy with a Ram and he said it's horrible bc he'll reach for it instead of the volume **** when driving.

Yep....that is a very common complaint. It is also easy, in some vehicles at least, until one is well-familiarized with them, to mistake the rotary-shifter from round hot/cold temperature *****.
Old 01-15-20, 11:56 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 729 Likes on 457 Posts

The current 2020 Yukon/XL Denali interior is pretty good, I was in one and saw one first hand this past week. The car I was in had a multi tone brown interior and it was pretty good. Not Aviator/Navigator Black Label good, but it was much better than say a Sierra Denali interior. The interiors do look better in colors other than black IMO.

As for the 2021, it's probably best to wait to see an actual car. You are never going to get a clear sense of proportions or material quality from a picture and the overall design itself is probably best judged when you are looking at the actual car.
Old 01-15-20, 12:16 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Anyone else find the more expensive Denali interior a step back from the cheaper GMC Yukon interior?! They went back in time to pull inspiration from early 90s GM?! Why did they think that was a good idea?! Never once have I heard of someone saying "totally wish GM, made interiors like how they did in 1990!" Smh.

I do like the exterior though. Not bad at all, and better than the Tahoe.
Old 01-15-20, 01:09 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed...a number of owners (or prospective owners) would probably like it back. While going to electronic shifters does free up console-space, I suspect another big reason for doing so is cost-cutting.....it is easier cheaper to install a rotary-switch or a row of buttons, because, with electronic-sensors, they eliminate the need for conventional shif-linkage and the emergency-override button for the Park/Neutral starter-interlock.
I feel like the column shifter is a good example of a thing GM does well. They feel solid. I see no problem with a truck having a column shifter and that's really what I prefer, though I'm probably in the minority.
Old 01-15-20, 01:12 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

I feel like the column shifter is a good example of a thing GM does well. They feel solid. I see no problem with a truck having a column shifter and that's really what I prefer, though I'm probably in the minority.
I don't know if I can definitively say that it's my preference, but I agree there's no problem with it.
Old 01-15-20, 01:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
I don't know if I can definitively say that it's my preference, but I agree there's no problem with it.
Every time I drive my old Yukon when I "throw her in park" it feels solid and chunky...like a truck's shifter should.
Old 01-15-20, 03:49 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't like the shift buttons, they look cheap. I want the column shifter back. Otherwise it looks great inside and out IMO.

never happened to me but why isnt he using the volume buttons that are on the right side of the steering wheel on the back. Transmission wont let you mess with it when youre driving that fast anyways
Old 01-15-20, 04:12 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
never happened to me but why isnt he using the volume buttons that are on the right side of the steering wheel on the back. Transmission wont let you mess with it when youre driving that fast anyways
IDK...that's just what he said. He said that's the only thing he doesn't like about his truck.
Old 01-15-20, 06:02 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
The current 2020 Yukon/XL Denali interior is pretty good, I was in one and saw one first hand this past week. The car I was in had a multi tone brown interior and it was pretty good. Not Aviator/Navigator Black Label good, but it was much better than say a Sierra Denali interior. The interiors do look better in colors other than black IMO.

As for the 2021, it's probably best to wait to see an actual car. You are never going to get a clear sense of proportions or material quality from a picture and the overall design itself is probably best judged when you are looking at the actual car.
For what they get you on these brand new, the interior isn't exactly top notch, IMO anyways. There's still a lot of plastic in areas where you think they would have leather or wood, though I guess they have to leave room for something to justify the cost of the Escalade. A lot of modern features available today were not available on the now outgoing generation that came out in 2015 oddly enough (pano roof, LED headlights, 360 degree camera). What is criminal is the fact they're still using Bose's god awful setup in these new Tahoe and Yukons. 10 speakers on the current model that goes for $70k is absolutely silly.

Definitely not a fan of the dash, looks like something that came straight out of the 80s, it's so tall while the current one is already ridiculously tall.

Last edited by Zmon; 01-15-20 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-15-20, 08:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

A gun safe? Really.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021...lest-features/
Old 01-15-20, 08:27 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
sounds like a company being very in touch with their target buyer!
Old 01-15-20, 10:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zmon
What is criminal is the fact they're still using Bose's god awful setup in these new Tahoe and Yukons. 10 speakers on the current model that goes for $70k is absolutely silly.
l.
FWIW the Bose in my 17 year old Yukon is one of the best factory systems I've ever heard and I believe it's only 10 speakers. The sub is under the center console...brilliant. As long as they've had Bose systems in these, they've all been excellent to my ears.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
sounds like a company being very in touch with their target buyer!
I have a 9mm in my center console in my truck.
Old 01-16-20, 08:14 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 186 Posts

FWIW the Bose in my 17 year old Yukon is one of the best factory systems I've ever heard and I believe it's only 10 speakers. The sub is under the center console...brilliant. As long as they've had Bose systems in these, they've all been excellent to my ears.

I have a 9mm in my center console in my truck.
Can honestly say the Bose in my Denali is nothing special, even the base audio in my IS sounds better. Sure, I've got more wattage to play with on the Bose setup and all, but the stereo imaging/sound reproduction is just horrible on a $70k+ car.
Old 01-16-20, 09:18 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zmon
Can honestly say the Bose in my Denali is nothing special, even the base audio in my IS sounds better. Sure, I've got more wattage to play with on the Bose setup and all, but the stereo imaging/sound reproduction is just horrible on a $70k+ car.
Yours is a '16?

That is interesting because we also have an IS with the base stereo and it is good but doesn't come close to our Yukon's Bose.

Quick Reply: 2021 GMC Yukon