Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 GMC Yukon

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-20, 04:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Watching Redline Reviews. 4 corner air suspension. Nice 👍. Denali interior apparently is better in person.

Some famous GM cost cutting happens all the time when they remove the height adjustments for the front seatbelts, happy to see GM did not go the cheap route like the did with the trucks. Good job GM for having the height adjustments.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-16-20 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-16-20, 04:33 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

I almost think the Denali has lost a bit of its bling from the side and rear, but it still looks great.

Definitely not the front though lol. You'll know damm well what's behind you.
Old 01-16-20, 04:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I almost think the Denali has lost a bit of its bling from the side and rear, but it still.
Looks alright to me. The power moveable centre console is kind neat.
Old 01-16-20, 05:05 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Looks alright to me. The power moveable centre console is kind neat.
Oh I still think it looks great. Just not quite as bossy from the side.
Old 01-17-20, 05:50 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default 2021 GMC Yukon Has Rivian-Like "Hurricane Turn" Spin Feature

For some reason, GM gave the newest Yukon full-size SUV the ability to spin like a top

Startup electric carmaker Rivian recently dropped our jaws when it announced a "Tank Turn" function for its R1T pickup and R1S SUV, where the vehicles' left-side wheels spin in the opposite direction from the right-side wheels, enabling them to spin in place like a tank. Consider our jaws similarly felled by GMC's decision to include a similar capability, dubbed "Hurricane Turn," in the new 2021 Yukon SUV.

There are, of course, a few key differences between the GMC system and Rivian's. The Rivian models are powered by four individually controlled electric motors, one per wheel, and can truly rotate around a central axis on a low-friction surface. The Yukons are powered by a single engine each, which can drive either the rear wheels or—with four-wheel drive engaged—all four wheels. It probably goes without saying that, yes, at any given time those two-to-four GMC wheels are being spun in the same direction (either forward or backward).

So, how do the GMC Yukon's conventionally driven wheels help the vehicle spin? We weren't able to extract many details from GMC on this front—the engineers were hoping to keep a lid on the feature until a later date, so we did our best to pepper them with questions at the '21 Yukon's reveal event. Here's what we could surmise: "Hurricane Turn" functionality is engaged when the Yukon's electronic brain detects that the driver intentionally has done the following: Deactivates stability control, cranked the steering wheel hard to either the left or the right, and floored the gas.

If the truck is on a low-friction surface, such as snow or gravel, the system jumps into action, manipulating the brakes, particularly on the side you're steering toward (if you're steering to the right, then it grabs the right brakes, and vice versa) to instigate a sort of donut move. In this state, the GMC rotates around its front axle, like someone competing in one of those spin-around-a-baseball-bat-before-running competitions. Keep your foot on the throttle, and the GMC's "Hurricane Turn" system will gradually tighten the donut spin radius—a technical term we just made up—until the Yukon is nearly spinning around its central axis, like the Rivian.

Again, GMC was hardly forthcoming when we pressed for more details, both on the system itself and whether or not it'd be limited to the new-for-2021, off-road-specific AT4 trim. Our best guess? That the new Yukon's Active Response 4WD system full-time four-wheel-drive system (which can sort out front-rear torque splits on the fly) works in conjunction with the fancy brake applications and the new electronic limited-slip rear differential (which can direct engine torque side-to-side between the rear wheels) to afford enough individual control over the four tires to pull off a near-stationary spin.

Those spins might only be tropical storm level compared to the four-motor Rivians' cyclone effect, but consider us impressed that GMC figured out how to get most of the way there using only a good-ol'-fashioned V-8 engine and a little new-fashioned four-wheel drive. We're excited to try whipping the Yukon into a spinning frenzy for ourselves—we weren't able to try the system at GMC's launch event—and to delve deeper into the details, which are forthcoming.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021...donut-feature/
Old 01-18-20, 11:10 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 186 Posts

Yours is a '16?

That is interesting because we also have an IS with the base stereo and it is good but doesn't come close to our Yukon's Bose.
Yeah, recently sat in a 20 as well and it's still the same system and still sounds the same. The Bose systems GM uses tends to be outperformed by cars in their own fleet using other sound systems (The previous gen Equinox and it's Pioneer system comes to mind). I haven't sat in an Escalade in a while, so I don't know how the 16 speaker Bose system compares to the 10 speaker in the Denali.
Old 01-18-20, 12:38 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zmon
Yeah, recently sat in a 20 as well and it's still the same system and still sounds the same. The Bose systems GM uses tends to be outperformed by cars in their own fleet using other sound systems (The previous gen Equinox and it's Pioneer system comes to mind). I haven't sat in an Escalade in a while, so I don't know how the 16 speaker Bose system compares to the 10 speaker in the Denali.
Interesting. My mother's Enclave has Bose and it doesn't even come close to my truck.

What impresses me in my truck's Bose system is the bass and how clean the sound is. It doesn't get distorted at all at full blast.

That's my experience with most Bose products and why I like them.

My LS has the non ML (pioneer) and it's pretty good but you can't turn it up too loud because the sound gets distorted.

FWIW I've thoroughly sampled the ML in the LS460 which has a well-regarded ML system. It was definitely good but it didn't blow me away.

Old 01-18-20, 06:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

What impresses me in my truck's Bose system is the bass
Most people who like Bose like bass. Loud=good.

FWIW I've thoroughly sampled the ML in the LS460 which has a well-regarded ML system. It was definitely good but it didn't blow me away.
If you put somebody who is really into audio in each car, they would say the ML was superior.

Bose is a "rock & roll" system, the ML is all about clarity and harmonics and balance, better showcased with jazz and classical music, etc.
Old 01-19-20, 12:35 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Most people who like Bose like bass. Loud=good.
Sorta.

You left out the rest of my sentence when I said that the sound doesn't get distorted.

It's not "boomy" like a Ford JBL for example. Did you have JBL in your Explorer? That's the perfect example. Plenty of bass but it didn't really sound good.

The Bose in my truck doesn't distort one bit, at max volume. Just sounds good and "clean." The woofer is hidden under the center console.

If you put somebody who is really into audio in each car, they would say the ML was superior.

Bose is a "rock & roll" system, the ML is all about clarity and harmonics and balance, better showcased with jazz and classical music, etc.
Right, I'm not an audiophile. Most LXs have the ML audio so whenever we get that it'll be fun to compare.

Old 01-19-20, 01:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's not "boomy" like a Ford JBL for example. Did you have JBL in your Explorer? That's the perfect example. Plenty of bass but it didn't really sound good.
I did, but that car was made 25 years ago...not really an example of what a modern audio system would sound like.
Old 01-19-20, 01:49 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

I did, but that car was made 25 years ago...not really an example of what a modern audio system would sound like.
mankind has known how to make perfect sounding audio for quite awhile, and the absence of CD players now on many cars means today's cars are limited in their data rate... also audio quality isn't as important to today's buyer, as long as bluetooth automatically connects and there's a lot of bass

you did just say the best sounding audio system you've encountered was the one in your LS from nearly 25 years ago
Old 01-19-20, 01:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
mankind has known how to make perfect sounding audio for quite awhile, and the absence of CD players now on many cars means today's cars are limited in their data rate... also audio quality isn't as important to today's buyer, as long as bluetooth automatically connects and there's a lot of bass

you did just say the best sounding audio system you've encountered was the one in your LS from nearly 25 years ago
Yeah but thats a specific case, I wouldn't put that JBL system in my old Explorer in that league at all.
Old 01-19-20, 02:03 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Yeah but thats a specific case, I wouldn't put that JBL system in my old Explorer in that league at all.
i don't imagine i would either lol
Old 01-19-20, 02:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I don't really agree with this, but okay.

I'm just pointing out to you what I consider a system with lots of bass that's mediocre, like in an old Explorer with the JBL.

The Bose in my truck isn't.

The ML was heralded in the LS430 when it was out but I always thought it was garbage with hardly any bass. The base Pioneer actually sounds better. (And hardly anyone has problems with it as these cars age...the ML is a nightmare for some people.)

And I hear the Nakamichi from the old Lexus cars blows it all away (another reason I don't really agree with you), and I hate I never got to hear it.

What is the point of these cars with 2400 watt systems? I've never heard one but sounds like mass overkill.
Old 01-19-20, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The ML was heralded in the LS430 when it was out but I always thought it was garbage with hardly any bass. The base Pioneer actually sounds better.
Because you equate loud with good. The ML audio in the LS430 is way better than the Pioneer audio. Its not as loud and bassy but its much clearer, more powerful and refined.

And I hear the Nakamichi from the old Lexus cars blows it all away (another reason I don't really agree with you), and I hate I never got to hear it.
Did you see my audio thread? The Nakamichi in our old 98 LS400 is my favorite system I've had, better than the ML in the 430 or even possibly the ML in my 460.

It was no different then though, we talked about the Nakamichi system being subtler and more nuanced than the Pioneer system which was "bassier"

What is the point of these cars with 2400 watt systems? I've never heard one but sounds like mass overkill.
You should hear one. You want wattage like you want horsepower. Higher powered systems feel more effortless and sound richer at lower volumes.

My point about the age is, the system in the Explorer was nothing special, its so old that Ford as a company has come out with far, far better systems. The Nakamichi stereo was a very special system back then, to the point where it still leaves an impression on me. Its been 16 years since Ive heard it though, would it still impress me today? I don't know. Theres also the question of age, no audio system in a car that old is operating close to as well as it did new. The speakers have degraded, lines have degraded, amp is old, etc,

Quick Reply: 2021 GMC Yukon