Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis Teases Six-Model Lineup, Including Sleek Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20, 05:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Depending on response to GV80 and next G80, would be interesting if they see room to grow upward with a GV90 level SUV, like X7/GLS size.
I think there might be. The X7 has been a smash hit for BMW. And the GLS is solid. The only hump I see for Genesis is itself. Despite very nice products, can potential consumers look past the badge. Even if there's nothing wrong with Genesis, it really comes down to BMW and Benz. They just have such strong images that despite some less than stellar models, people still buy them simply for the logo on the hood. That said I'd like to see a GV90 someday, though I'm looking forward to the coupe first.
Old 01-17-20, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have to disagree. The Hyundai Genesis coupe interior was a pretty solid interior. They should never have discontinued that line of cars.

Fine...we can disagree. But here are the two interiors...first the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, then the Sedan. I thought the Coupe's interior was too barren, dull-looking, and did not use very impressive materials (the gauge-bezels also tilted out at an old angle). The Sedan's interior was far nicer, in several ways...and used real leather on the dash.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how the new Genesis Coupe interior looks and how it is built.......but, IMO, everything from the stand-alone Genesis Division, so far, has been top-notch.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-17-20 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-17-20, 05:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Fine...we can disagree. But here are the two interiors...first the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, then the Sedan. I thought the Coupe's interior was too barren, dull-looking, and did not use very impressive materials. The Sedan's interior was far nicer, in several ways...and used real leather on the dash.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how the new interior looks and how it is built.......but, IMO, everything from the stand-alone Genesis Division, so far, has been top-notch.
I only remember this interior.

Old 01-17-20, 06:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The only hump I see for Genesis is itself. Despite very nice products, can potential consumers look past the badge.

Even if there's nothing wrong with Genesis, it really comes down to BMW and Benz. They just have such strong images that despite some less than stellar models, people still buy them simply for the logo on the hood.
No arguments there. This is why education (and test-drives) are so important when it comes to choosing a vehicle. I've seen it time and time again.....too many people have no idea what they're buying.

That said I'd like to see a GV90 someday,
Knowing today's demand for SUVs, you can bet the rent money that one will probably be showing up sooner or later.
Old 01-17-20, 06:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I only remember this interior.
That's the same one I posted, except in a lighter gray color. I remember the car well because I did a full-review of it....the top version. It had steering and chassis-engineering, like older-generation BMWs, that would knock your socks off...but I just thought the sedan's interior was much nicer and plusher. I respect your opinion, though.
Old 01-17-20, 06:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's the same one I posted, except in a lighter gray color. I remember the car well because I did a full-review of it....the top version. It had steering and chassis-engineering, like older-generation BMWs, that would knock your socks off...but I just thought the sedan's interior was much nicer and plusher. I respect your opinion, though.
The centre sections look different
Old 01-17-20, 06:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I don't remember the Genesis Coupe interior being anything special at all...
Old 01-17-20, 09:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don't remember the Genesis Coupe interior being anything special at all...

You're correct....it wasn't, especially compared to the Genesis sedan. What was under that ho-hum interior, though, in the chassis and powertrain, was quite a different story.

It will be interesting to see if a new 2Gen Genesis coupe sells. With the possible exception of American ponycars, the general U.S. market for coupes today is not good.
Old 01-18-20, 11:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Even American ponycars, hence why they are cancelling the Camaro.
Old 01-18-20, 01:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

But that also calls into question how GM is being managed these days. You don't see Ford canceling the Mustang, or Dodge the Challenger. GM has recently done a long line of very controversial marketing decisions...that is just one of them.

Indeed, just a couple of days ago, picking up show tickets, I saw a Shelby GT500 Mustang in the showroom, roped off, with a factory 94K sticker on it. People aren't going to pay that kind of money for ponycars if there is no market.

Back to thread-topic, are you going to consider the GV80 for your family? It does come with three rows, but, according to C&D, third-row space is tight.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...is-gv80-drive/
Old 01-18-20, 01:43 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I don't think that has been fully confirmed.
https://www.torquenews.com/106/next-...-not-cancelled
Old 01-18-20, 01:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just because it works for Ford doesnt mean it works for GM. And with FCA, the Challenger is so old...

I wouldn't consider the GV80 for my family no, its too expensive. I wouldn't buy any luxury car. $50k or so is the top end of what I want to spend. I would certainly consider a Palisade.

One luxury car is enough, and my wife and kids hammer the family car.