Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cars that owners tend to keep a long time

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20 | 01:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Default Cars that owners tend to keep a long time

https://www.autoblog.com/photos/phot...#slide-2200709

TOYOTA HIGHLANDER INFORMATION

• Image Credit: Toyota

Top 15 cars original owners keep the longest

When you're shopping for a new car, one interesting statistic to consider is how long current owners tend to keep specific vehicles. After all, choosing to keep a car or truck instead of replacing it with something newer is a good indicator of owner satisfaction.

Over 350,000 cars from the 1981-2004 model years sold in 2019 were analyzed by iSeeCars, with a focus on seeing what percent of owners kept them for 15 years or longer. A quick look at the list you’ll notice the most dominant characteristic shared between all these cars is where they’re from: Japan.

Yep, every car that made the top 15 list is from a Japanese automaker — Toyota happens to be tops in the country, too. Let’s get into the list now, and discover which cars specifically people keep the longest. Click the first image to begin.
Old 01-17-20 | 01:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

All Japanese, not surprised Not one America brand car on the list...or Korean

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-17-20 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-17-20 | 01:09 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not one America brand car on the list...or Korean
Apples and oranges though. I'm not surprised in the least that few people kept their 1981-2004 Kias and Hyundais for 15 years--you would have to be a masochist to do that. That doesn't mean the owners of 2014 models won't do so in droves.

The Japanese have been making quality, reliable vehicles longer than pretty much everyone, but they're not alone anymore.
Old 01-17-20 | 01:17 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
All Japanese, not surprised Not one America brand car on the list...or Korean
While Japanese brand, many built in America.
Old 01-17-20 | 01:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
I'm not surprised in the least that few people kept their 1981-2004 Kias and Hyundais for 15 years--you would have to be a masochist to do that. That doesn't mean the owners of 2014 models won't do so in droves..
Hyundai owners keep their cars longer than everyone except, Toyota, Honda and Subaru. Lexus, Chevy and Mazda are kept less than Hyundai.

More data here

Source
Old 01-17-20 | 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting list, Jill .....but, with the reputation that the German brands have for being money-pits as they age (and usually only a 4/50 warranty), I it find it difficult to understand why so many of their owners also hold on to them for so long.

Originally Posted by article
German vehicles account for the majority of the list of luxury cars that owners are most likely to keep for at least 15 years
Old 01-17-20 | 06:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

not that meaningful analyzing cars that are 15 years old but no doubt those who kept their cars that long are proud of it.
my neighbor has a whole bunch of mercedes he's kept that long...
Old 01-17-20 | 06:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So this is the interesting question about statistics.

Are these cars on the list because they are the most reliable, or because they attract owners who are the least interested in buying new cars often? I suspect the latter.

Remember, the vast majority of cars aren't replaced because they must be replaced, they're replaced because the owner wants to replace them.
Old 01-17-20 | 08:05 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

The reason people don't keep German cars long is not worse reliability, but because most buy them as a status symbol. It's not cool to drive a 10 year old S Class or a 10 year old Audi.... gotta keep up with the Jones's and buy the new updated model every 3 years .
Old 01-17-20 | 08:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So this is the interesting question about statistics.

Are these cars on the list because they are the most reliable, or because they attract owners who are the least interested in buying new cars often? I suspect the latter.

Remember, the vast majority of cars aren't replaced because they must be replaced, they're replaced because the owner wants to replace them.
Originally Posted by 97-SC300
The reason people don't keep German cars long is not worse reliability, but because most buy them as a status symbol. It's not cool to drive a 10 year old S Class or a 10 year old Audi.... gotta keep up with the Jones's and buy the new updated model every 3 years .
very interesting perspectives to look at this survey and results!
Old 01-17-20 | 09:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Yup, i think japanese car buyers tend to be more fiscally sensible, conservative fiscally, and not flashy. Thus they keep reliable japanese cars a long time.

just another virtue-signalling article/thread really.

nothing wrong with keeping cars a long time of course, just as there's nothing wrong with changing them every year if that's your thing.
Old 01-17-20 | 09:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nothing wrong with keeping cars a long time of course, just as there's nothing wrong with changing them every year if that's your thing.
Doing one's thing is fine if one can afford it.....and changing vehicles every year is arguably the most expensive way to do it. You lose the biggest chunk in depreciation, which is typically greatest in the first year, and starts to level off after about three years or so.
Old 01-17-20 | 10:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think some demographics are playing a significant role in all this. I wonder what the percentage of these cars that are kept are handed down to the younger kids when they learn to drive etc etc. I know someone who just kept their ten year old Odyssey as a third car for misc chores.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-17-20 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-18-20 | 11:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yup, i think japanese car buyers tend to be more fiscally sensible, conservative fiscally, and not flashy. Thus they keep reliable japanese cars a long time.

just another virtue-signalling article/thread really.

I think those buyers also tend to be less car enthusiasts also. If a car is simply a tool to you you’re less likely to be interested in the expense of replacing it until you have to for some reason.
Old 01-18-20 | 11:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I have no doubt Toyota Owners are in a higher income scenario than some of the other mainstream brands. Owning a Toyota or Honda only really makes sense if you keep them for longer than average. A lot of high Income earners drive Toyotas and Hondas from what I am reading.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-18-20 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Cars that owners tend to keep a long time