Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade Are Getting Pricier Already

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-20, 06:53 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
No not at all. I look at it from the wealth perspective (everything really). I look at it from the most cost effective way of obtaining something. Paying a high mark up over cost does not mean a great buy for me. Add in the usual poor Hyundai/KIA resale value, it is makes for a terrible deal (to pay MSRP) IMO

(They are selling well because they are cheaper than a Toyota, a Honda, a Ford). They also have good reviews as well. But they are still cheaper.
the main reason they are selling well is because they literally beat every other vehicle in every comparison, not just because they are less expensive. if they were just cheaper the sales numbers wouldn't be anywhere near what they are. The fact is they are beating every other vehicle in their segment in almost every category
Old 01-26-20, 07:02 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I prefer the looks of the Palisade.
thought the palisade looked great in person...except for that godawful front grill. imo the Telluride looked good from every angle, especially the front. the front grille looks so good. am going back and forth between the Mazda CX-9 and the Telluride but the Kia really impressed me in person. a/c front and rear seats too!

Last edited by chrisp1; 01-26-20 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-26-20, 09:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp1
thought the palisade looked great in person...except for that godawful front grill. imo the Telluride looked good from every angle, especially the front. the front grille looks so good. am going back and forth between the Mazda CX-9 and the Telluride but the Kia really impressed me in person. a/c front and rear seats too!
I dont love the front end of the Palisade, but I actually like it better than the front end of the Telluride personally. I dunno, something about the proportions of the Telluride just seem off to me, the hood feels low, the nose feels squished, I dont like the headlights...
Old 01-26-20, 09:06 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

I dont love the front end of the Palisade, but I actually like it better than the front end of the Telluride personally. I dunno, something about the proportions of the Telluride just seem off to me, the hood feels low, the nose feels squished, I dont like the headlights...
I definitely feel like you have to get the top SX model for it to look proper. The lower models have smaller wheels and it makes the wheels look too tiny
Old 01-26-20, 09:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Even in the SX models, I don't like black wheels and that doesn't help any of the proportions I dont like.
Old 01-26-20, 10:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

fully loaded Telluride SX AWD is only a few grand off from a fully loaded Palisade Limited AWD, no thanks
Old 01-29-20, 05:37 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Obviously these two are extremely competitive. Like others. I'm a bit torn between the two on design standpoint.

Some interesting content differences between them that I've noted during my evaluations of them:

These first 2 would be strong reasons for Palisade over Telluride in our house:
Palisade Driver gets 4-way lumbar, Telluride only has 2-way.
Palisade gets remote start from the key, Telluride has to go through Kia's app, which is a bit clunkier than Hyundai's app.

And the others which are more commonly known:
Palisade gets the full digital cluster vs Telluride has the screen between 2 traditional dials for Speedo/Tach
Palisade gets power 3rd row vs manual in Telluride.

Old 01-29-20, 09:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

i still don't get why the telluride costs more than the palisade.
Old 01-29-20, 09:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i still don't get why the telluride costs more than the palisade.

Part of it is apples and oranges. Price-wise, it is difficult to directly compare across the range of the two of them. The Telluride, for example, has four trim levels (LX, S, EX, and SX), while the Palisade has only three (SE, SEL, Limited). The base Telluride is slightly higher in price than the base Palisade, but the top-level Palisade is substantially higher then the top-level Telluride.
Old 01-30-20, 08:15 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Part of it is apples and oranges. Price-wise, it is difficult to directly compare across the range of the two of them. The Telluride, for example, has four trim levels (LX, S, EX, and SX), while the Palisade has only three (SE, SEL, Limited). The base Telluride is slightly higher in price than the base Palisade, but the top-level Palisade is substantially higher then the top-level Telluride.
This is just wrong, it's not really all that hard.
Telluride SX with Prestige Package and Tow Package, MSRP = $48,055
Palisade Limited with Tow Hitch Accessory, MSRP = $48,140 and again, the Palisade gets a few more content items, the lumbar, power fold 3rd row, full digital cluster.
Old 01-30-20, 08:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Correct, totally untrue lol

Always amazes me how people avoid doing something as simple as looking up a price before they make a statement like "fully loaded this car is substantially higher"
Old 01-30-20, 09:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

so, again, why is the telluride more expensive?
Old 01-30-20, 09:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No reason I can see...
Old 01-30-20, 10:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The base Telluride is slightly higher in price than the base Palisade, but the top-level Palisade is substantially higher then the top-level Telluride.
I am sort of not seeing what you are saying. I will admit, I assumed the KIA was more money.

https://www.cars.com/articles/hyunda...owdown-408534/
Old 01-30-20, 11:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
This is just wrong, it's not really all that hard.
Telluride SX with Prestige Package and Tow Package, MSRP = $48,055
Palisade Limited with Tow Hitch Accessory, MSRP = $48,140 and again, the Palisade gets a few more content items, the lumbar, power fold 3rd row, full digital cluster.
Correct, totally untrue lol

Always amazes me how people avoid doing something as simple as looking up a price before they make a statement like "fully loaded this car is substantially higher"
Again, apples and oranges. You are bringing accessories (which are often dealer-installed) into the equation. I was refering to list prices of the different trim levels...anything more than that will vary customer too customer and vehicle to vehicle. And what I replied to bit was true...it is difficult to find a pattern here in direct Kia vs. Hyundai pricing., for reasons I explained above, part of which the 3 vs. 4 trim levels don't even match.

Quick Reply: Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade Are Getting Pricier Already