Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade Are Getting Pricier Already

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-20, 11:35 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Again, apples and oranges. You are bringing accessories (which are often dealer-installed) into the equation. I was refering to list prices of the different trim levels...anything more than that will vary customer too customer and vehicle to vehicle. And what I replied to bit was true...it is difficult to find a pattern here in direct Kia vs. Hyundai pricing., for reasons I explained above, part of which the 3 vs. 4 trim levels don't even match.
No, it's not apples and oranges, you simply don't know/refuse to take any time to examine the cars. Anyone who has done even a minute of comparison and shopping between the two will be able to see that the true top Telluride (at the moment) is the SX with the substantial Prestige Package. And the top Palisade is the Limited, I threw in the hitch to make it similarly equipped. I left off the main slew of dealer accessories for garnishes etc.

You're the one comparing apples and oranges if you're trying to go Telluride SX (without Prestige) to the Palisade Limited.
Old 01-30-20, 11:37 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so, again, why is the telluride more expensive?
No clue, maybe different cost structures of having to build in the US (Telluride) vs combining with Korean market production volume in Korea for the Palisade?
Old 01-30-20, 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
No, it's not apples and oranges, you simply don't know/refuse to take any time to examine the cars. Anyone who has done even a minute of comparison and shopping between the two will be able to see that the true top Telluride (at the moment) is the SX with the substantial Prestige Package. And the top Palisade is the Limited, I threw in the hitch to make it similarly equipped. I left off the main slew of dealer accessories for garnishes etc.

You're the one comparing apples and oranges if you're trying to go Telluride SX (without Prestige) to the Palisade Limited.

It's apples and oranges. Respectfully, we are simply going to disagree. Won't be the first time...may not be the last.
Old 01-30-20, 11:42 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

It's apples and oranges. Respectfully, we are simply going to disagree. Won't be the first time...may not be the last.
Well, respectfully, everyone will disagree with you. Won't be the first time... won't be the last.
Old 01-30-20, 11:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,980 Posts

No, you said "the top level Palisade is substantially more than the top level Telluride" and that is just incorrect.
Old 01-30-20, 11:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No, you said "the top level Palisade is substantially more than the top level Telluride" and that is just incorrect.
That's what I read.
Old 01-30-20, 11:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Again, apples and oranges. You are bringing accessories (which are often dealer-installed) into the equation. I was refering to list prices of the different trim levels...anything more than that will vary customer too customer and vehicle to vehicle. And what I replied to bit was true...it is difficult to find a pattern here in direct Kia vs. Hyundai pricing., for reasons I explained above, part of which the 3 vs. 4 trim levels don't even match.
The point is that you can't just look at the list of trim levels. You have to look at the content.

The Telluride SX is cheaper than the Palisade Limited by $1,500-$2,000. BUT the Palisade Limited has no available options; the SX has an additional package available that makes the overall content almost equal (except for a couple of features that have been repeatedly mentioned in this thread), and then makes the Kia cost more.

It's pretty darn easy to open up 2 different internet tabs and make the 2 cars "apples to apples". Especially if you just load up the 2 cars with every option available. There's no more apples to apples than that.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

Last edited by tex2670; 01-30-20 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-30-20, 02:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.
My point is that it's difficult to tell the facts in this case because the two vehicles have different trim levels and pricing. All you have done is present more complexities.

And, frankly, I don't really care which one is slightly cheaper or more expensive than the other. Where it will matter most is to the actual buyers of these vehicles......and, given the actual rate at which they are scooping them up by the truckful (Hyundai and Kia dealers are having a hard time keeping either one in stock), the people buying or leasing them don't care that much, either.

I don't normally speak for others, but with bitkahuna having originally brought up the subject of the Kia (apparently) being more than the Hyundai in the first place, I'd wager that he probably wouldn't care much, either, if he really wanted one and was in the market for one. If he can afford a G90, he can certainly afford whatever these cost.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-30-20 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-30-20, 04:24 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't normally speak for others, but with bitkahuna having originally brought up the subject of the Kia (apparently) being more than the Hyundai in the first place, I'd wager that he probably wouldn't care much, either, if he really wanted one and was in the market for one. If he can afford a G90, he can certainly afford whatever these cost.
Well, it's not for you or I to determine what @bitkahuna can or can't afford, or what he should or shouldn't care about, and even if he can afford something, dismissing his question or concern about the price of a car that is within his budget.
Old 01-30-20, 04:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Well, it's not for you or I to determine what @bitkahuna can or can't afford, or what he should or shouldn't care about, and even if he can afford something, dismissing his question or concern about the price of a car that is within his budget.
I'm not disagreeing with you. I mentioned him because he first brought up the issue of the Telluride/Palisade price comparison. My point was (if you bothered to read my post) that whether the average Telluride or Palisade differ in price will probably mean little to the average consumer, who is grabbing up both of these vehicles like free beer at Clancy's. In fact, bit probably won't be looking at another vehicle until his lease runs out.
Old 01-30-20, 07:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

mmarshall, i can and do frequently ask questions that have nothing to do with my circumstances, preferences, etc.

i've seen it written repeatedly that the telluride is more expensive than the palisade in similar levels of equipment. I just wasn't sure why.

and yes, i haven't done a technical analysis of trim levels... some of us are still working for a living and don't have time.
Old 01-30-20, 07:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

i can and do frequently ask questions that have nothing to do with my circumstances, preferences, etc.
Sure...we all do.

i've seen it written repeatedly that the telluride is more expensive than the palisade in similar levels of equipment. I just wasn't sure why.

and yes, i haven't done a technical analysis of trim levels...

some of us are still working for a living and don't have time.
Most buyers, working or otherwise, probably won't care.....they simply want the vehicle, equipped the way they want it, at a price they can afford.

BTW, the Telluride/Palisade is (arguably) the most successful new vehicle the Koreans have introduced in the American market since the late-80s Hyundai Excel (which was actually a Mitsubishi design....the Precis). That vehicle, due mainly to its super-low price, sold in huge numbers....until word got out, even in the days before the Internet and social-media, that it was a piece of junk.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-30-20 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-31-20, 04:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Most buyers, working or otherwise, probably won't care.....they simply want the vehicle, equipped the way they want it, at a price they can afford.
not relevant to my question, but ok.

BTW, the Telluride/Palisade is (arguably) the most successful new vehicle the Koreans have introduced in the American market since the late-80s Hyundai Excel (which was actually a Mitsubishi design....the Precis). That vehicle, due mainly to its super-low price, sold in huge numbers....until word got out, even in the days before the Internet and social-media, that it was a piece of junk.
it's great the h/k have a new 'hit' but seems like they're seriously production constrained and toyota will continue to massively outsell them.
Old 01-31-20, 05:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

it's great the h/k have a new 'hit' but seems like they're seriously production constrained and toyota will continue to massively outsell them.
Palisades are currently built in South Korea.......Tellurides at West Point, GA. The real question, at least as I see it, is will these high-demand sales continue for both vehicles, or is it just a current fad that will wear off with time? That is probably not an easy question to answer at this point, and Hyundai/Kia management needs to carefully consider this before committing to more Telluride/Palisade plants, whether in the U.S. or other countries...although, naturally, it would be nice if the Palisade-production was added here, with American jobs. The Highlander, of course, has been a hit from Day One and, with time, has not shown any signs of slowing down....management can safely commit to its production.
Old 01-31-20, 06:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,980 Posts

I think they will continue to sell well, obviously this current situation of markups and tight inventory will change.

Quick Reply: Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade Are Getting Pricier Already