Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade Are Getting Pricier Already

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-20, 06:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think they will continue to sell well, obviously this current situation of markups and tight inventory will change.
Correct. They will sell well until the competition catches up--which it will. But, presumably, Hyundai and Kia will continue to improve these vehicles to try and keep them class-leading.

It's no different than any other "hot selling" vehicle.
Old 01-31-20, 12:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
naturally, it would be nice if the Palisade-production was added here, with American jobs..
Yeah, well it is also nice that there is some heritage in the fact that you are getting something homemade and made in Korea. I like that about the Hyundai.
Old 01-31-20, 04:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yeah, well it is also nice that there is some heritage in the fact that you are getting something homemade and made in Korea. I like that about the Hyundai.
Since Hyundai is a Korean nameplate, I won't disagree with you; I don't see anything wrong with it being built there.....in fact, they probably should give their home country first-billing on the jobs. My comment, though, was that is would be nice if they did produce it here, or in Canada where you are....and, of course, it would add to the production capability of a hot-selling vehicle.
Old 02-01-20, 06:41 AM
Trackruner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
This is just wrong, it's not really all that hard.
Telluride SX with Prestige Package and Tow Package, MSRP = $48,055
Palisade Limited with Tow Hitch Accessory, MSRP = $48,140 and again, the Palisade gets a few more content items, the lumbar, power fold 3rd row, full digital cluster.
What am I doing wrong? I am getting a fully loaded Pallisade at $46,045 and a fully loaded Telluride at $46,485. I didn't select the tow hitch for either one, but that's only $395 or $475 depending on the car. Why am I two grand short?
Old 02-01-20, 06:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackruner
What am I doing wrong? I am getting a fully loaded Pallisade at $46,045 and a fully loaded Telluride at $46,485. I didn't select the tow hitch for either one, but that's only $395 or $475 depending on the car. Why am I two grand short?
Did you select AWD?
Old 02-01-20, 08:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackruner
FWD vs AWD
Old 02-05-20, 11:35 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

This won't help the supply issues with the Palisade:

Hyundai Will Halt Factories Due to Coronavirus Chaos, Report Says

Shortage of parts sourced from mainland China has suppliers scrambling.

While the novel coronavirus outbreak is still largely confined to Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province of China, neighboring countries are already feeling the effects of transportation networks grinding to a halt in an effort to contain the outbreak. Hyundai factories in South Korea, which does not share a land border with China, will be forced to suspend car production in the country starting on Feb. 7, Reuters reports, due to disruptions in the supply chain. Production of the Palisade SUV came to a halt days earlier.

Hyundai factories in South Korea account for 40 percent of the automaker's global output, Reuters notes, while Seoul is the home of the automaker's headquarters.

The immediate cause of the planned halt in production is a shortage of wiring harnesses for several models, which are produced by two suppliers with locations in China: Kyungshin and Yura Corp. These two suppliers have other plants in the region and are currently trying to boost output at their other sites to compensate for the disruption in deliveries from China, ahead of a planned restart at Chinese plants on Feb. 9., according to Reuters. However, most of Hyundai's factories in South Korea are expected to be offline from Feb. 7 through Feb. 11 or 12.
Full article here.
Old 04-05-20, 12:40 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

not to beat a dead horse or anything but the Telluride continues to completely dominate vs all its competitors. Just read the big motor trend comparison with 9 suvs and the Kia continues to impress on so many levels.
Old 04-05-20, 12:55 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp1
not to beat a dead horse or anything but the Telluride continues to completely dominate vs all its competitors. Just read the big motor trend comparison with 9 suvs and the Kia continues to impress on so many levels.
Yeah. Highlander is disappointing in that it came out after the Telliride and isn't as good. Can Toyota ever win a comparison?
Old 04-05-20, 07:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yeah. Highlander is disappointing in that it came out after the Telliride and isn't as good. Can Toyota ever win a comparison?
well the telluride and palisade kinda came out of left field and the highlander is a very good refinement of the prior highlander, and was in development for YEARS before the telluride and palisade came out, so no time to change it prior to launch. They're really very different of course. I think this highlander hybrid is pretty cool and kia/hyundai have no answer to that. I like aspects of the highlander interior and exterior but it's just a smaller vehicle and aggresively managed to a cost/profit target. I suspect toyota may push a refresh to make it more competitive. Maybe even a hybrid 'l' or something to give more 3rd row room, although if they do it as abysmally as the rx-l with no extra wheelbase, it will be a fail.

Old 04-05-20, 07:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Can Toyota ever win a comparison?
Toyota and Lexus still produce what are arguably the best Hybrid vehicles.
Old 04-05-20, 08:32 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Toyota and Lexus still produce what are arguably the best Hybrid vehicles.
With the rise of EV's, I'm not sure if that will mean much in less than five years. Toyota doesn't even have a mild hybrid system in its vehicles yet, which the Koreans, Germans, and Americans are already are starting to implement across their lineup.

Just look at the absolute decimation in Prius sales the past few years.
Old 04-05-20, 08:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
Yes, but with the Prius, more is involved than just its excellent hybrid system, good as that system is. Would you buy or lease something that looked like this? LOL....I've seen more attractive lines on Halloween-masks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-05-20 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-05-20, 08:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
With the rise of EV's, I'm not sure if that will mean much in less than five years. Toyota doesn't even have a mild hybrid system in its vehicles yet, which the Koreans, Germans, and Americans are already are starting to implement across their lineup.

How is a mild hybrid different than Toyota Synergy Drive?
Old 04-05-20, 08:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well the telluride and palisade kinda came out of left field and the highlander is a very good refinement of the prior highlander, and was in development for YEARS before the telluride and palisade came out, so no time to change it prior to launch. They're really very different of course. I think this highlander hybrid is pretty cool and kia/hyundai have no answer to that. I like aspects of the highlander interior and exterior but it's just a smaller vehicle and aggresively managed to a cost/profit target. I suspect toyota may push a refresh to make it more competitive.
Given that the original Telluride concept, at the 2016 auto shows, was a V6/Hybrid-combo, an interesting question, IMO (and I don't think Kia has answered it) is why they didn't do a production version like that.

Maybe even a hybrid 'l' or something to give more 3rd row room, although if they do it as abysmally as the rx-l with no extra wheelbase, it will be a fail.
Yes, I was going to use the botched-attempt of the RX 3-row version, but you just beat me to it.

Quick Reply: Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade Are Getting Pricier Already