Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade Are Getting Pricier Already

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-20, 05:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
when its 140deg inside the car in the heat of summer, doesnt matter what color interior you have, it sucks

True, but a black (or near-black) interior will usually reach that temperature sooner than a light-color interior.
Old 01-22-20, 05:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, but a black (or near-black) interior will usually reach that temperature sooner than a light-color interior.
Heat is not the reason why I hate black interiors. I don’t think I said that. I hate black because it feels so dark and gloomy. I also think contrast is super important, it’s great when the upper parts are one color and matches the seats while the floor is different . All black. Yuck!
Old 01-22-20, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Heat is not the reason why I hate black interiors. I don’t think I said that. I hate black because it feels so dark and gloomy. I also think contrast is super important, it’s great when the upper parts are one color and matches the seats while the floor is different . All black. Yuck!
I'm not misunderstanding you......I agree that black monochrome interiors don't look good either. Some manufacturers, though, use black carpets regardless of the general color of the interior, because the black does not show the almost-inevitable stains.

Old 01-22-20, 05:52 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have my first black car (and first black interior). I was worried about that when I first got it, but I've had the car 5 years, and it does not get noticeably hotter in the summer than any prior car (including a silver one), or other car in my family.

I can't say that the same would be the case in Arizona; but again, I'm assuming even a white car with beige interior gets pretty dang hot in the summer there.

The black car in the sun thing is way overblown.
Old 01-22-20, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back on topic, if Kia has a new Telluride on the D.C. show-test-drive circuit (it's not much, but better than nothing), I plan to sample one. I test-drove a Palisade several months ago, and found no major problems with it...it's not surprising that it is selling well.
Old 01-22-20, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I have my first black car (and first black interior). I was worried about that when I first got it, but I've had the car 5 years, and it does not get noticeably hotter in the summer than any prior car (including a silver one), or other car in my family.

I can't say that the same would be the case in Arizona; but again, I'm assuming even a white car with beige interior gets pretty dang hot in the summer there.

The black car in the sun thing is way overblown.

Well, today's tinted glass helps. But, in Arizona, it will need a LOT of help LOL.
Old 01-22-20, 05:55 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Back on topic, if Kia has a new Telluride on the D.C. show-test-drive circuit (it's not much, but better than nothing), I plan to sample one. I test-drove a Palisade several months ago, and found no major problems with it...it's not surprising that it is selling well.
I didn't know that Kia does the car show test drive. I know that Toyota has done it in Philly the past few years. And maybe some GM brands? And Jeep has that "off-road" course inside the show.
Old 01-22-20, 05:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Some manufacturers, though, use black carpets regardless of the general color of the interior, because the black does not show the almost-inevitable stains.
Cost cutting has a role too. Depends on dash too. But the flagship Lexus LX has different colour floor carpeting for different trims and regions. The mighty Land Cruiser still does coloured keyed. My 4Runner and our LX is colour keyed, the cars are not. Like the black floor better.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-22-20 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-22-20, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I didn't know that Kia does the car show test drive. I know that Toyota has done it in Philly the past few years. And maybe some GM brands? And Jeep has that "off-road" course inside the show.
Yes, Jeep has the indoor sample course with the water-pan, sand-trap, logs, hill-arch, etc.... It is, of course, a very large display, and takes up a lot of space. Here it is on the D.C. floor plan this year. It is NOT for actually getting behind the wheel, but taking a crawl-speed ride, in the vehicle, with a Jeep representative driving. As you can see from the floor-plan, Jaguar/Land Rover has a similar large indoor area for demonstrating the Land-Rover capabilities.

OK...the outdoor course is different. That one is shared by several different manufacturers....usually, but not always Toyota, Kia, Mazda, Ford, Subaru, Scion (before it was discontinued), and Hyundai. Cadillac had one several years ago (not since), and Ford last year. These manufacturers (usually) rotate the days and hours they have it set up....and, unfortunately, don't announce it in advance, so you just have to be there for luck of the draw. Each manufacturer, when they have the circuit going, may have a choice of 5 or six new vehicles, and you basically choose one (or more), sign up for it, show a valid Drivers's License, take a puff into a Breathalyzer if they ask for it (which is perfectly reasonable in my book....you don't want drunks doing test-drives), wait until that vehicle is available, and go take a little test-drive around the city streets (they all use pretty much the same pre-determined course) with the company-rep. No, it's not much of a test-drive, but it's better than nothing....and it gives you an idea of what the suspension and tires are like on the rough city streets and what the basic feel of the vehicle is like at low speeds. When you get back, they will give you a questionnaire to fill out about your satisfaction and a small gift....cap, pen, phone-charger cords, key-chain, mini-flashlight, etc...

A perennial favorite of mine, each year, is the indoor Ford display where they have the $50 Debit-Mastercard offer...sign up for it, and take a dealer-test drive of any Ford product before the offer's expiration date (usually March 30). With all of the recent talk of Bronco vs. Blazer on Car Chat, I plan to use the test-drive this year on the Bronco if it is available at dealerships in time. Ford, in addition, sometimes passes out actual $10 Mastercards (no waiting), right there at the show, for the outdoor show-circuit-drive. Lincoln used to have a similar $75 Mastercard offer...now, instead of a card, they donate the $75 to a charity of your choice, in your name. They will probably have the same offer at the Philly show you go to.....I don't see why not. Toyota and Hyundai, inside, also have Trivia contests where they give away gifts based on correct automotive answers. I, of course, ace a lot of the questions (as do some of the smarter kids there.....some of them are sharp), then give away the gifts I get to the little kiddies next to me who are too young to know the answers....I love to see their little faces light up with delight.

In short, I'm amazed at what at least some of the auto companies spend at these shows...the budget for them must be enormous, and the D.C. show, although much more important than it used to be, still probably doesn't get the attention that Detroit or L.A. does.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-22-20 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-22-20, 06:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Any more Palisade/Telluride owners or leasers want to chime in on their experiences?

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-22-20 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-22-20, 10:33 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

I can't see these things actually holding their value. Give it a year and the market will be flush with these with 10-15k on the odometer for $25k or less.
Old 01-22-20, 10:41 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by OUT FOX EM
I can't see these things actually holding their value. Give it a year and the market will be flush with these with 10-15k on the odometer for $25k or less.
I said the same thing when this thread first started. The debut of these two units is very much like the debut of all past Kia and Hyundai's SUV's. They make a medium to big splash, like how the new kid on the block or underdog usually does. But as one to two years goes by, things settle down and their unique or fancy look becomes nothing. Big discounts come, and the competition catches up or beats them. We've seen this for quite some time.
Old 01-23-20, 05:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by OUT FOX EM

But it also begs the question....who's going to trade them in that quickly, and why? Most of those who bought them seem to be quite pleased with them....at least so far.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I said the same thing when this thread first started. The debut of these two units is very much like the debut of all past Kia and Hyundai's SUV's. They make a medium to big splash, like how the new kid on the block or underdog usually does. But as one to two years goes by, things settle down and their unique or fancy look becomes nothing. Big discounts come, and the competition catches up or beats them. We've seen this for quite some time.
Most of those who buy this type of vehicle don't so do primarily for their looks. They do so for practically, space, and traction.

Old 01-23-20, 05:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I said the same thing when this thread first started. The debut of these two units is very much like the debut of all past Kia and Hyundai's SUV's.
Telluride and Palisade is a typical Kia/Hyundai debut from the past? I dont recall any Kia/Hyundai SUV selling this well upon release
Old 01-23-20, 08:58 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
sad part is folks are putting money on the worst depreciating 3 row suv on the market.

https://jalopnik.com/who-is-paying-t...kia-1841130938
this is nonexistent around here. all top of the line models are going for 46-47k in the New England area

Quick Reply: Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade Are Getting Pricier Already